Wiring issue, or microphonic pickup?

archey

Reaction score
I'm ashamed to say that I don't wire my own guitars. I had a friend of mine wire it for me today. When I got it home I noticed that it is very sensitive to touch. If I have the gain turned up at all you can hear if I tap anywhere on the body. You can also hear your voice through the pickups in the amp. Also if the gain is up it has a high squealing. Not a musical feedback from a not, but high pitched squealing. This is in either pickup. Does this sound like some sort of grounding issue, or is it the pickups?

Adieu

Reaction score
That's awesome (well, not for you, but...scientifically speaking)

I've heard people mention this kind of thing in various tall tale sounding "back in the day" stories, but never in person.

Generally blaming guitars that could be found for truly vehicular prices on reverb and ebay.

Meanwhile ive had potted, unpotted, paint shielded, foil shielded, plate shielded, utterly unshielded, humbuckers, stacks, singles, grounded, ungrounded.....and NEVER did it do the mythical voice or radio.

Find out how and why! For science!!

freefrog

Reaction score
I'm ashamed to say that I don't wire my own guitars. I had a friend of mine wire it for me today. When I got it home I noticed that it is very sensitive to touch. If I have the gain turned up at all you can hear if I tap anywhere on the body. You can also hear your voice through the pickups in the amp. Also if the gain is up it has a high squealing. Not a musical feedback from a not, but high pitched squealing. This is in either pickup. Does this sound like some sort of grounding issue, or is it the pickups?
Hearing ambient noise through a magnetic guitar pickup is normal when much gain is used.

High pitched squeal would be normal as well with too much gain.

Do your pickups sound normal when played clean or do they sound like through an old phone?

In the second case, a problem of wiring can be suspected. In the first case, it's most likely a question of gain settings and frequencies to tweak .

IMHO / FWIW.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got some excellent pickups! Many would consider what you describe as desirable.

...but maybe not right for your preferences and style?

What pickups/guitar are they and what's your rig consist of? What kind of music are you playing?

archey

Reaction score
Sounds like you've got some excellent pickups! Many would consider what you describe as desirable.

...but maybe not right for your preferences and style?

What pickups/guitar are they and what's your rig consist of? What kind of music are you playing?
They are Sigil Georgia Bootlegs. I know Sigils are the shit, so I tend to believe that something is weird about the wiring. The feedback I'm getting isn't a slow and controllable, musical feedback. It's an immediate high pitch ringing that's somehow louder than the guitar when strummed. It goes away once the guitar is being played, but as soon as you stop it's there.

jwinger

Reaction score
What you describe is a quality of most vintage p90s and pafs I've come across...so if yours act like that in many senses it's a good repro pickup rather than any sort of fault. Doesn't sound like any wiring contributon to me...just some microphonic qualities to the pickup, which is as I say vintage normal

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
They are Sigil Georgia Bootlegs. I know Sigils are the shit, so I tend to believe that something is weird about the wiring. The feedback I'm getting isn't a slow and controllable, musical feedback. It's an immediate high pitch ringing that's somehow louder than the guitar when strummed. It goes away once the guitar is being played, but as soon as you stop it's there.
What's your rig? ....amp, pedals, speakers, cab, settings...?

archey

Reaction score
What's your rig? ....amp, pedals, speakers, cab, settings...?
I've ran it through my single 12 deluxe reverb and my single 12 Mesa F30 using a Jeckyll & Hyde distortion pedal with the Fender and the built in gain channel on the Mesa. Both respond to the guitar in the same way. Do I know it's something within the guitar itself.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Hey Ken, I responded to your message on FB; not sure how long this has been an issue.

I can make any pickup do that with too much gain (even potted ones) but they shouldn't be ringing and acting as microphones on a clean line! Are they doing it when you plug straight in?

The worst I've personally seen was when I doubled up noise boxes and they caused some resonance that the pickups were picking up and feeding back into the signal. Gets mighty screechy fast but tamed by not going overboard. I can't think of any reason for the internal guitar wiring to cause that; you'd typically only get more hiss and hum if not grounded properly.

Also does it happen in any position you stand/sit? If the guitar is facing the amp or too close and things are turned up you'll also get some nasty resonance.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I looked up that pedal, sounds like you're probably playing with some high gain between that pedal and the Mesa.

If it's happening in both pickups the same, and everything responds normal when you are plugged straight into the Fender and playing clean, I'd say everything is likely normal.

Turn down the gain, stand further from the amp, try adjusting the angle of the cab and the angle of your guitar. Sometimes just rotating one 45 degrees away from the other is all you need to do.

archey

Reaction score
I looked up that pedal, sounds like you're probably playing with some high gain between that pedal and the Mesa.

If it's happening in both pickups the same, and everything responds normal when you are plugged straight into the Fender and playing clean, I'd say everything is likely normal.

Turn down the gain, stand further from the amp, try adjusting the angle of the cab and the angle of your guitar. Sometimes just rotating one 45 degrees away from the other is all you need to do.
Sounds good. Yeah, the pickups sound phenomenal aside from the squealing. Thanks for your help!

archey

Reaction score
Hey Ken, I responded to your message on FB; not sure how long this has been an issue.

I can make any pickup do that with too much gain (even potted ones) but they shouldn't be ringing and acting as microphones on a clean line! Are they doing it when you plug straight in?

The worst I've personally seen was when I doubled up noise boxes and they caused some resonance that the pickups were picking up and feeding back into the signal. Gets mighty screechy fast but tamed by not going overboard. I can't think of any reason for the internal guitar wiring to cause that; you'd typically only get more hiss and hum if not grounded properly.

Also does it happen in any position you stand/sit? If the guitar is facing the amp or too close and things are turned up you'll also get some nasty resonance.
Just saw your response. It happens in all positions and it doesn't matter where I stand. If I turn the gain up enough that it would normally cause sustained notes to go harmonic in my other guitars, this will start howling before it can get to that point. Pretty weird. On the clean channel they sound fantastic. This is how it behaves when I'm using the built in lead channel of my f30, or going through my fender with a distortion pedal.

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
How waxy are your other pickups? I hate to say it but you may need potted pickups to handle the gain or at least something less PAF in design and more modern. I can pot those but I'll complain the whole time...
I also wind 'modern style' pickups.

archey

Reaction score
How waxy are your other pickups? I hate to say it but you may need potted pickups to handle the gain or at least something less PAF in design and more modern. I can pot those but I'll complain the whole time...
I also wind 'modern style' pickups.
I will modify the amount of gain I use with them. I played around with them a little today. Dialed the gain back a touch and stood further back from the amp. These pickups sound amazing. I would hate to have them potted at all. After dialing back the gain a bit, I think these are the best pickups I've ever had actually!

Here's the guitar that they went in btw. It's one of mine. I have another one that I'm finishing up now that a set of your '58s will go in. I'm excited to hear them!

Archey custom made guitar

The one that I'm finishing up now.

ErictheRed

Reaction score
What happens when you touch the strings vs just let the guitar hang around your neck?

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Those are some decent looking guitars! Aside from the Trem that is ;)

archey

Reaction score
Here's a video of the sound. I'm still convinced something isn't quite right with the wiring. Could a bad pot be the culprit?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
What value is your tone cap? Something much less than .02uF, I'd guess by the audio, but it's hard to say in the video.

By the amount of hum and hiss of your amp, I don't think the wood tapping sound coming through the amp is unusual. I think you just have the gain up quite a bit.

If you do another video, go straight in. No pedals.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Maybe show a gut shot of the electronics, as well.

Latest Threads