Wiring Help!!!!

LP1865

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I opened up my Epiphone to do a partial coil split and add a push pull pot for neck out of phase.
It looks like hell in there, and according to the wiring diagrams on Tonerider, its done wrong.
Should I rewire the whole thing, or just make changes.
Here are some pics
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Looks like someone just tried adding a couple of those black molded CTS push pulls and left in the rest of the stock wiring instead of removing all that junk and doing the job correctly. I would gut everything and start from scratch and install a genuine Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack while you are in there. Find a good wiring diagram for what you want to do and then go from there. YMMV

Best regards,

Jonesy

Roxy13

Reaction score
Yes, more often than not, it's just easier to take it all out and redo it from the beginning yourself and correctly.

LP1865

Reaction score
. I would gut everything and start from scratch and install a genuine Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack while you are in there.
Already got that.
Thanks guys, I will be rewiring it up myself.
Will I need anything but a soldering iron and a wire stripper?

Roxy13

Reaction score
I use a multimeter to read all the pots and caps as well.

You can make yourself a template out of some scrap cardboard easily enough. Once you remove the old wiring harness, put the cardboard under the top of the guitar and trace the holes for the pots onto it and cut/punch them out.

If you are using new pots that have 3/8" bushings you will need a tapered reamer to enlarge the holes. Same with using the Switchcraft long toggle for a switch. You can buy one from Harbor Freight for like $3. And if your pots have fine spline shafts then you will need new knobs and if you like pointer washers, then new pointer washers as well.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Your holes where the CTS push/pull pots may already be imperial sized (3/8"). I'm not sure on the other 2 though.

LP1865

Reaction score
You can make yourself a template out of some scrap cardboard easily enough. Once you remove the old wiring harness, put the cardboard under the top of the guitar and trace the holes for the pots onto it and cut/punch them out.
I wanna do this, but I'm afraid that I'll damage the push pulls taking the knobs out.
If you are using new pots that have 3/8" bushings you will need a tapered reamer to enlarge the holes.
The CTS ones fit without any further enlarging for some reason.
And if your pots have fine spline shafts then you will need new knobs
I have those on. All four knobs on right now have 24 splines.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I wanna do this, but I'm afraid that I'll damage the push pulls taking the knobs out.
The CTS ones fit without any further enlarging for some reason.
I have those on. All four knobs on right now have 24 splines.
Ok, well then it sounds like all your pots are Imperial already so you won't have to enlarge those holes. If you have to do the switch to fit the deep nut on the long Switchcraft it only takes like a few seconds, honestly.

I haven't yet pulled a pot apart taking the knobs off a push/pull pot. I suppose it could happen, but it could also happen with a regular pot too.

LP1865

Reaction score
I haven't yet pulled a pot apart taking the knobs off a push/pull pot. I suppose it could happen, but it could also happen with a regular pot too.
Ok.
I guess I'll try the tshirt method and try to take the knobs of
f first.

LP1865

Reaction score
So I completely gutted the electronics.
I wanna do both volumes coil splits for each humbucker, one tone neck out of phase and one tone a blower switch for both pickups.
I can't find any diagram tho, can I someone point me in the right direction please?

ARandall

Reaction score
With that sort of setup you won't find a specific diagram.

But its all modular. All of those functions have the same method to the wiring.
All you have to do is find the diagram for coil splits on a pushpull, and you wire that pattern to the volume pots.
Same with OOP, and choose which pot to wire that to.
The blower switch is the same.....but you are wiring the 2 pickups to separate sides of the same switch (a pushpull is effectively 2 switches with 3 lugs each).

LP1865

Reaction score
With that sort of setup you won't find a specific diagram.

But its all modular. All of those functions have the same method to the wiring.
All you have to do is find the diagram for coil splits on a pushpull, and you wire that pattern to the volume pots.
Same with OOP, and choose which pot to wire that to.
The blower switch is the same.....but you are wiring the 2 pickups to separate sides of the same switch (a pushpull is effectively 2 switches with 3 lugs each).
I managed to figure it out, thanks, I'll finish wiring today, and hopefully everything will work out.

ARandall

Reaction score
Good on you.....its always much better (and more rewarding IME) when you can just add the bits together and get a working setup.

Latest Threads