Wiring bass cut and master tone

Martylp

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2011 Gibson lp studio faded worn brown. It has the chambered body, I like it for the weight (pics included for the good of the order). I have it wired with a bass cut on the neck PU and treble bleed on the volume. The bridge tone control is in place.
A question for those more expert at wiring than I am: is it possible to have the bass cut on the neck and have the bridge tone control function as a master tone control for both PuPs? If yes do you have a diagram and what is the overall impact on tone?
Thanks in advance for any words of advice.
E875FB14-C654-4621-B8D6-1C8C5AC47168.jpeg
2FFE29AC-5141-4570-B7CA-B57A1F5EF18D.jpegE875FB14-C654-4621-B8D6-1C8C5AC47168.jpeg2FFE29AC-5141-4570-B7CA-B57A1F5EF18D.jpegE875FB14-C654-4621-B8D6-1C8C5AC47168.jpeg2FFE29AC-5141-4570-B7CA-B57A1F5EF18D.jpeg2FFE29AC-5141-4570-B7CA-B57A1F5EF18D.jpeg
2FFE29AC-5141-4570-B7CA-B57A1F5EF18D.jpeg

Last edited:

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to the forum. I have a 2011 Gibson lp studio faded worn brown. It has the chambered body, I like it for the weight (pics included for the good of the order). I have David Allen alley cat humbuckers installed to replace the stock burst buckers. I have it wired with a bass cut on the neck PU and treble bleed on the volume. The bridge tone control is in place.
A question for those more expert at wiring than I am: is it possible to have the bass cut on the neck and have the bridge tone control function as a master tone control for both PuPs? If yes do you have a diagram and what is the overall impact on tone?
Thanks in advance for any words of advice. View attachment 466168View attachment 466169View attachment 466170
Hi! :welcome: to MLP!

It might help us a bit more to have some :photos:of your wiring mods so far, and a schematic of what you have at the moment.

If you were able to install these mods and they work, hopefully you can draw it out in paintbrush or something and show us.

That would make it a lot easier for me, I can tell you! :rofl:

Sorry your first post got buried. That's not usually how we roll...

endial

Reaction score
Welcome!

I've nothing of help here, but I sure wouldn't mind a peek at such a wiring scheme if someone comes up with one. The concept sounds pretty genius.

Edit: Nice looking little faded you got there.

Martylp

Reaction score
No worries Darrel it’s trying times so a delayed response to my post is the least of any worries.
I posted to the gearpage forum and got a couple of responses including a schematic link. Hear is the gearpage thread
In terms of the current wiring configuration here are a couple of pics.
Please feel free to offer any thoughts on it, I haven’t done the New work of creating a master tone yet.
Hi! :welcome: to MLP!

It might help us a bit more to have some :photos:of your wiring mods so far, and a schematic of what you have at the moment.

If you were able to install these mods and they work, hopefully you can draw it out in paintbrush or something and show us.

That would make it a lot easier for me, I can tell you! :rofl:

Sorry your first post got buried. That's not usually how we roll...
E4163026-D5FF-43B0-9369-F580CE34BCFF.jpeg
14D7AFB1-72BA-49F1-8B09-4C731849D4D1.jpeg

DarrellV

Crazy American......
Premium Member
Reaction score
To those just tuning in, here is the pic from the link. It appears to be a master tone diagram only.

It does not include the bass cut on the neck pickup or the treble bleed that OP is using..

So according to this it looks like you just need to disconnect your orange cap from the bridge volume control and tone pot lug. Then solder it to an outside lug of the tone pot, instead of the center, and solder the other end to the pot case for ground. Make sure you account for rotation.

Unsolder the other tone pot lug from ground.

Unscrew your output jack from the body and solder a length of wire to the hot lug and run it back in and solder it to the center lug of the bridge tone pot.

That should do what the diagram is showing..

Last edited:

Martylp

Reaction score
Just an update I did the wiring today. To cut to the chase: I ended up going back to standard wiring. I wired for the master tone as suggested in the thread from gearpage, and as had been suggested by a poster there the blend between the two PuPs with the bass cut in just didn’t sound great to me. I think there could be styles of play where it worked, but not for my hackery. Anyway I decided to bring it all the way back, and removed the bass cut and treble bleed. Maybe I’ll put one or both of them back in again at some point. I decided to go with “modern style” wiring as shown in this Seymour Duncan article https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/lespaulwiring and in pic. Just to try it out.
For anyone who may read this in the future: doing different wiring mods is a great and cheap way of experimenting with tone. It isn’t hard to do and you can always go back to where you started. It’s a whole lot cheaper than buying a new guitar. So my humble non-pro opinion is give it a try, and get advice on this and other forums...folks like to help.
F49F37E0-006F-4849-A06E-3FC7E168446A.jpg

Latest Threads