Wiring aftermarket pups into newer Classic?

Red_Label

Reaction score
Hello forum. I've got a special edition Candy red Epi '56 LP with P90s that I love. And now it's got me thinking that I need to match up my 2018-19 trans red Gibby LP Classic that's got stock zebras in it (though I do like the way they sound)... by swapping those out with a pair of 4-conductor creme colored DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs. The guitars look great as a pair as-is... but would look even better with the creme double coils IMO, and I've heard that the 36th Annis are great. So I need some guidance on how best to wire in the non-OEM pickups into that modern Gibson PC board deal. I could tear that out and just wire things up old school, replacing the pots, etc with higher quality components. I've wired-up many LPs and other guitars over the years, so I'm not a noob when it comes to pickup swaps. But I've never had to do a swap with the new LPs before. I'd rather not replace the pots and everything.

Should I just cut the four conductor wires a half inch from the connectors and spice in the new pups there (ala old school car stereo swaps)? Other opinions? I do love zebra coils and have replaced many two-humbucker guitar setups with zebras (including putting a pair of Fralin zebras into my R0 a while before I sold it). But still... I'm big time into matched sets and aesthetics... so if I can put a set of double-cremes into the LP, I'd rather do so. Plus, I've never had an LP with double-cremes. I've always thought they look pretty badass in LPs.

The "twins"...

Red_Label

Reaction score
P.S. The P90s in the Epi are a set of Kent Armstrong noiseless P90s that I put in there a few weeks ago. I dig them a lot. They may not have 100% of that regular P90 charm, but they are 90% of the way there and the fact that they are FAR less noisy than standards, makes them 150% better than stock P90s.

Latearrival

Reaction score
Should I just cut the four conductor wires a half inch from the connectors and spice in the new pups there (ala old school car stereo swaps)?

Yes - exactly this. Either do that - or if you are fussy (like me!) - buy a set of adapter cables that basically put a connector on the cables of your new pick-up/ That's what I did on my SG!

Are you sure the new humbuckers will fit in the space of the old P90s? and what about pick-up rings? Apologies if you have already considered all this!
1590659697943.png

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I did this with an epiphone... actually using the 36 annys (I LOVE these pickups!) in the video. The same guy makes adapters for gibson, too.

I would stay away from cutting the old pickups out. If you put the quick connect adapters on the new pickups, you can easily swap back to the original pickups when/if you go to sell the guitar.

Red_Label

Reaction score
I did this with an epiphone... actually using the 36 annys (I LOVE these pickups!) in the video. The same guy makes adapters for gibson, too.

I would stay away from cutting the old pickups out. If you put the quick connect adapters on the new pickups, you can easily swap back to the original pickups when/if you go to sell the guitar.
Roger that. Good info. Thank you. I am assuming that the Epiphone and Gibson quick connectors are the same? I think you're right... it would be nice to be able to swap back and forth.

I just looked at some ebay listenings and do see that there are differences. I found my correct connectors and will be ordering them shortly, as well as a pair of creme DiMarzio humbuckers. Will post follow-up pics when I've got everything wired-up.

Last edited:

Red_Label

Reaction score
[snip]

Are you sure the new humbuckers will fit in the space of the old P90s? and what about pick-up rings? Apologies if you have already considered all this!
Sorry that my post was a bit confusing. The P90-equipped Epi LP will be staying the same. I already swapped the pups with a pair of Kent Armstrong noiseless P90s.

I want to put a set of creme DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF humbuckers in the Gibby Classic... so that the color schemes on both guitars will match.

Red_Label

Reaction score
Got my 36th Anni DiMarzio PAFs wired into the red Classic today. Will give a report on my impressions of the tones, a bit later tonight once I've been able to spend some loud time with her in the man cave.

Latest Threads