Winter in Texas

pnuggett

Reaction score
Years ago a guy I worked with had the pipes freeze in his house that he lived in with his girlfriend. It was brutally cold and windy. He went outside with a propane torch to try to thaw the frozen pipe. Burned down the house to the ground. No lives lost but everything else was gone. Everything. We took up a collection of money and clothes until he could figure out his situation.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Get the whole story. 60% of Texican power is from natural gas, and that infrastructure is frozen because the power companies didn't buy the necessary winterization bits (because who thought this weather would ever happen in TX?). The natural gas infrastructure is mostly what's causing "millions of people across Texas without power."

Same deal with wind turbines. ERCOT decided to purchase wind turbines without the usual winterization options because it's cheaper that way. Windpower represents about 15% of Texican energy.

So ti's natural gas (and ERCOT) that's to blame for infrastructure failures; blaming wind power just happens to fit a particular partisan political narrative.
As long as people hang, my business grows.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Years ago a guy I worked with had the pipes freeze in his house that he lived in with his girlfriend. It was brutally cold and windy. He went outside with a propane torch to try to thaw the frozen pipe. Burned down the house to the ground. No lives lost but everything else was gone. Everything. We took up a collection of money and clothes until he could figure out his situation.
Hot flame and old wood, what could possibly go wrong?

Olds442

Reaction score
In more sad news, my buddy in Plano is looking at a $3,000 bill to fix his pool & frozen pipes. Fuk!
i would have guessed twice that. plumbers must be flocking to the south right now.

"Frozen" gators in SE Oklahoma. Actually in some kind of deep "hibernation", which adults can survive for a short period of time.

View attachment 520117

View attachment 520118
they're the last of the dinosaurs. of course they can withstand this.

now is the chance to get that bad ass belt, shoes and phone covers. lasso the snouts!

danohat

Reaction score
I've only owned a home with a pool once. Never again.
It's not so bad. You want your pool wired and automated? Call me. Salt system? Call me. Want it opened/closed? Call me. New cover? Call me. New heater? Call me. New light bulb? Call me. Etc.
I fix all that and it never stops breaking.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's not so bad. You want your pool wired and automated? Call me. Salt system? Call me. Want it opened/closed? Call me. New cover? Call me. New heater? Call me. New light bulb? Call me. Etc.
I fix all that and it never stops breaking.

After three tries with chlorinated/brominated pools, I discovered Salt. Game changer, IMO.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Centerpoint guy wakes me up early this AM, still very dark, because he wants to inspect my gas appliances. We've had natural gas issues. Everyone's asleep, I have power and gas and everything is working great. He's a bit insistent, but I ask if it's really necessary. He informs me I can reschedule if I want to. Sure, a more convenient time would be better, thanks. Go back to bed. Wake up, it's freezing. He shut off my gas and left. Never hinted at such a thing. He was grumpy at the door, but I was not. Now, no heat, no hot water, no stove, no oven. I have a salt pool that runs off a generator if I lose power. But that runs off... natural gas. So when they roll me off the grid, it's likely my pool pipes break. I have a family. I know many have it worse than me, but that's a bunch of F'in BS that he leaves me like this with no warning. Company is swamped dealing with the weather, so it'll be days before someone can come back out and turn the gas back on.

I hate people that are pricks. That guy was a prick. I'm sure he laughed as he walked away knowing that I had no clue he just screwed me over. And the way he shut it off is more than simply a value turn. It's behind the meter.

Last edited:

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They're predicting a nation wide chlorine shortage due to a factory explosion. We'll be converting a lot of pools to salt.
I've already shorted chlorine.... shhhh! Hoping that the contracts skyrocket next week!

:rofl:

Gfunk_Minor

Reaction score
I find it funny, as a life long resident of Texas. And, sufferer of the rolling blackouts over the past few days, that some think it's green energy's fault.
Please remember, when you bash the frozen wind turbines that they have been approved, built, and up until this week profitable to the "politicians" that now claim it's the "New Green Deal" that caused this. Nope, not even close. It's just piss poor planning on the part of our elected, and appointed officials. Period! End of conversation. So, while a few wind turbines did freeze, many more natural gas power plans shut down because of frozen supply lines, and insufficient safety measures. Oh yea.... One idiot even blamed it on the Russians and Saudis because they got together to lower natural gas prices. Again, I call BS.

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

murmel

Reaction score
25,000 megawatts of wind turbines are offline because they’re frozen! Millions of people across Texas are without power. What a brilliant idea it was to go green. I’d like to find the genius’s who chose wind over NG, and curb stomp all of them
Sounds more like an issue with some specific turbines. We have plenty of wind turbines in northern Europe, and our weather can be pretty rough too.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
Sounds more like an issue with some specific turbines. We have plenty of wind turbines in northern Europe, and our weather can be pretty rough too.
It is. The generators installed turbines without winterizing them because of the extra cost, the regulator allowed it. The supply margins are thin and we became dependent on the intermittent supply. A cascading effect then took down millions of customers.
Lot’s of blame to go around. But the bottom line is that at this time, you can’t depend on intermittent sources for base load power.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
woah

thats the mayor of colorado speaking

View attachment 520171
“whoa” may be fair enough, but it does sound like a heck of a lot of people had or have no plan about what they’re going to do if the power or water goes off for more than a few hours.

In Texas uncommonly cold weather seems to have caused the power and service outages, but the fact their weather event is a 1 in a 100 year type thing doesn’t excuse people not being prepared. Weather is not the only thing that can knock out power, water, supplies, for more than a few hours.

Grown ups, especially those with dependents, need to make sure that they have a plan for what they are going to do if power and/or water become unavailable from conventional sources. It’s really not that hard. Lots of people simply choose not to do it, and like the Mayor of Colorado city suggests, they then complain about assistance not being rushed to them.

cheers.

Scooter2112

Reaction score
A Centerpoint guy wakes me up early this AM, still very dark, because he wants to inspect my gas appliances. We've had natural gas issues. Everyone's asleep, I have power and gas and everything is working great. He's a bit insistent, but I ask if it's really necessary. He informs me I can reschedule if I want to. Sure, a more convenient time would be better, thanks. Go back to bed. Wake up, it's freezing. He shut off my gas and left. Never hinted at such a thing. He was grumpy at the door, but I was not. Now, no heat, no hot water, no stove, no oven. I have a salt pool that runs off a generator if I lose power. But that runs off... natural gas. So when they roll me off the grid, it's likely my pool pipes break. I have a family. I know many have it worse than me, but that's a bunch of F'in BS that he leaves me like this with no warning. Company is swamped dealing with the weather, so it'll be days before someone can come back out and turn the gas back on.

I hate people that are pricks. That guy was a prick. I'm sure he laughed as he walked away knowing that I had no clue he just screwed me over. And the way he shut it off is more than simply a value turn. It's behind the meter.
Honestly, I suspect I would most likely hunt that fucker down. As long as your bill is paid, what possible reason could he have for shutting off your gas....while NOT telling you about if before hand? I would look for a good (and pissed off) lawyer.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard in the governor’s update that for the boil ban to be lifted the city has to send a sample to a totally overrun lab and the ban is lifted when the results come back. I envision sitting around in 70 degrees on Saturday staring out the window not open because the results aren’t back yet.

Latest Threads