Winter in Texas

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Last week it was in single digits and this week was 85 yesterday and turning on the AC.

Reactions: ehb

mtgguitar

Reaction score
The band Folkel Minority played this song more than 40 years ago: "Freeze a Yankee." Lyrics & Music By B. Arnold / B. Sturgeon. I guess it takes a while for karma to kick in.

six-string

Reaction score
Somehow, while the entire world around us went dark, we kept power and internet the entire time. We lost water but had snow to melt, and a big stash of gallons in the garage. The old earthquake habits die hard.
This is something that surprised me about the 'crisis in Texas'- yeah i get that the weather was unusual.
But Texas does get it's share of Hurricanes, Tornados, flooding, etc. so you would think that people would be prepared for a situation where due to bad weather they might need to have a few basic necessities put aside, such as food, water, batteries, cooking/heating fuel etc. Esp. all those independent minded free livin' Texans....but apparently not? it seemed a lot of folks were not prepared for anything.

I've lived in a tropical hurricane zone where electricity and water can be cut off without warning for hours or days at a stretch.
and lived here in the frozen north long enough to know you can die in a hurry if you don't have food, water, heat and shelter.
so having a back-up plan becomes second nature.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something that surprised me about the 'crisis in Texas'- yeah i get that the weather was unusual.
But Texas does get it's share of Hurricanes, Tornados, flooding, etc. so you would think that people would be prepared for a situation where due to bad weather they might need to have a few basic necessities put aside, such as food, water, batteries, cooking/heating fuel etc. Esp. all those independent minded free livin' Texans....but apparently not? it seemed a lot of folks were not prepared for anything.

I've lived in a tropical hurricane zone where electricity and water can be cut off without warning for hours or days at a stretch.
and lived here in the frozen north long enough to know you can die in a hurry if you don't have food, water, heat and shelter.
We have a pantry full of dry goods. Rice, beans, lentils, etc. We can survive quite a while. I still have hand crank chargers for phones, flashlights, radios. It doesn't cost much to be prepared. It was shocking how ill-prepared our neighbors were. They got angry at everyone but the people responsible, themselves.

I have a feeling that this event will fade from their memories quickly, and they'll go on the same way they were before.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
It’s a lot easier to live without AC than it is to live without heat during extended freezing temps. Freezing/bursting pipes are harder to prepare for, a water boil requirement is hard to deal with if you have an electric stove and no power, etc.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whole house backup generator.
Storage for lots of clean water.
Tons of food. Won't go bad in the freezers because of the generator.
Been a Texan a loooong time.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to talk to mom.
Their power in Leander was off and on... sounded like it was the planned 30 minutes on, 2 hours off.
Skye provided them with bottled water. They were just starting to draw buckets of water from the pool for toilets when the water came back on under a boil order.
They've had a few residents need to go to the hospital so they are keeping things locked down, and bringing meals to the apartments rather than using the cafeteria, but they've been cool about letting my brother visit as long as he's masked.

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Our Live Oaks have taken a hard hit this yr. I haven't seen a good one. They are losing leaves bad. I have 2 and the leaf drop is so bad I'm afraid they might not make it. I'm sure they will but they will look a little bare this yr. Live Oak leaves a PITA to rack and they don't decompose. We bought a yard vac to suck them up. So far I have filled up 8 black yard bags.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Live Oaks have taken a hard hit this yr. I haven't seen a good one. They are losing leaves bad. I have 2 and the leaf drop is so bad I'm afraid they might not make it. I'm sure they will but they will look a little bare this yr. Live Oak leaves a PITA to rack and they don't decompose. We bought a yard vac to suck them up. So far I have filled up 8 black yard bags.
I have seven of those trees. Four have no leaves. One only has a few left. Two still over a bit over 50% of theirs.

Also, I have a 40' long hedge that may have to be restarted. Will take years for it to grow back to its appearance of 3 weeks ago. Two lost fruit trees. One 12' shrub that gets trimmed like a Christmas tree, that isn't looking good either. That would also take years. Ugh. $$$

Last edited:

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a BIG, beautiful Live Oak out back that is dropping every single leaf. It looks terrible. We have bushes that just did the same thing.

This is gonna suck.

KTM

Reaction score
Trees are pretty resilient, but you guys down in Texas really got hit hard. Hopefully the cold only killed the leaves and perhaps some of the more tender shoots that hadn't hardened off. I would think they will back bud on older wood. Occasionally our trees up here (Wisconsin) will get hit with a hard frost after they leaf out. The leaves drop and new ones grow.

TXOldRedRocker

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone in Texas have a big smoker and a pile of mesquite to keep them warm?
Used to. Sold it. Now I have a big natural gas grill with a smoke tray for wood chips, and a rotisserie. All in one. Grill, or slow smoke, rotisserie, etc.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't everyone in Texas have a big smoker and a pile of mesquite to keep them warm?
Nope, I have at least 4 great BBQ joints I can drive to in 15 minutes or less.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not anymore.
Those living out in the "country"... sure... but those living in town aren't much different from those living in any other Suburbia.

Availability of city water and sewer will be a consideration when I retire and we move. We've never had to deal with maintaining a well pump or septic system and don't intend to start in our 70s.

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When's the cedar dust season?
Going on now, hain't it?
First time I saw anything like this was about 20 years ago.
I had a project at an intersection near Knott's Berry Farm. I was heading west on LaPalma, and as I crested the Magnolia overpass above the freeway I saw this huge yellow cloud.
I seriously thought I was driving toward a chemical/chlorine spill from one of the factories in the area.
I stopped and called my contractor... "Nope... just these effing trees in their parking lot!"

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nope, I have at least 4 great BBQ joints I can drive to in 15 minutes or less.
I plan to hit one or two of them on the way down/back to Pops place.

Latest Threads