Wine red Nitro touch-up

E.T.

Reaction score
I need a tiny bottle (1-2 oz) of wine red nitro with a brush in it for touching up dings- can any of you fine folks point me in a direction? All I can find are different reds (mahogany, cherry) or "out of stock".

ARandall

Reaction score
Are these dings to bare wood? If they still have colour in them them then clear is what you want.

Secondly......you don't want a brush for nitro.
A pipette where you can drop fill is ideal. But even then you'll need to scrape flat for it not to look worse than the ding.

However wine red covers a lot of ground. Its cherry with more blue in it essentially. It might take you experimenting to get it just right.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I bought a small bottle of red aniline dye and blue dye from LMI and mixed with denatured alcohol until I was satisfied with the color to fix a chip on mine. Then used clear CA on top of that as mine was poly.

E.T.

Reaction score
Are these dings to bare wood? If they still have colour in them them then clear is what you want.
They're basically pinholes, in an offputtingly obvious isosceles triangle.. I have no idea where two of them came from but one is the result of the pickguard bracket screw (which now has a bit of foam tape over it with duct-tape over that in case it's nitro-incompatible foam). From the brightness of the dings and the darkness of the mahogany I suspect two at least don't go through to the wood.
Secondly......you don't want a brush for nitro.
A pipette where you can drop fill is ideal. But even then you'll need to scrape flat for it not to look worse than the ding.
Handy to know, thanks! I do also have a gouge put there by baggage vandallers which might need the red, but the binding is also dinged up there meaning heat to re-form it which probably needs an actual luthier to take care of.
I bought a small bottle of red aniline dye and blue dye from LMI and mixed with denatured alcohol until I was satisfied with the color to fix a chip on mine. Then used clear CA on top of that as mine was poly.
So you dyed the wood and then clearcoated over it?

Roxy13

Reaction score
They're basically pinholes, in an offputtingly obvious isosceles triangle.. I have no idea where two of them came from but one is the result of the pickguard bracket screw (which now has a bit of foam tape over it with duct-tape over that in case it's nitro-incompatible foam). From the brightness of the dings and the darkness of the mahogany I suspect two at least don't go through to the wood.

Handy to know, thanks! I do also have a gouge put there by baggage vandallers which might need the red, but the binding is also dinged up there meaning heat to re-form it which probably needs an actual luthier to take care of.

So you dyed the wood and then clearcoated over it?
I put a tiny drop of the color in the chip, let the alcohol evaporate so it was dry and then drop filled it with CA and polished that out. Dan Erlewine has a video on fixing a chip that I followed.

Latest Threads