Windows 11

truckermde

Reaction score
I took TheX's endorsement to heart, and installed it one of our desktops. All good so far. I like it.

Installing on this laptop as I type this...

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@TheX is using a laptop that has Windows 11 on it.

He is also setting up 100 virtual machines (VMs). The VMs are PCs that run as software on a more powerful server(s). He might be running these 100 VMs in Microsoft’s cloud service (Azure) so he’d never need to touch any hardware at all.

We have two datacenters with our own private cloud.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still use a PC for work because I have to, but my favorite machine in the house (other than playstation4) is...

the M1 chip is awesome

No shit... Running Logic Pro with a bunch of tracks, plug-ins stuck everywhere, damn thing doesn't even burp....or even get warm...

I will use W11 at work because I have to.... My Macbook runs circles around any laptop I've had.... Flawlessly and transparently.... No weird shit, no nuttin.... I know they are putting M1 tech in the big iPads but I want an iPad mini with an M1.... My iPad Air has the top non M1 I think it is a killer machine...but I want a smaller one but M1 for a need coming up.....

I realize Mickey$oft's angle.... They know a LOT about Linux/Unix.... I imagine they are well familiar with Apple OS X Big Sur and previous too and netBSD underpinnings.... They're not idiots... They write bloated shit but not idiots....

I think W11 just may be the most radical beginning move away from old Windows architecture....maybe.... I have not played with a W11 and looked under the hood.... Windows in the past scattered shit all over the place which helped open holes to the point of leaking like a freaking colander....

I think they are trying to lock the shit down as Apple has been doing for years and years... Not a bad thing....

Secure is something not mentioned in the same sentence as Windows years back.... Maybe one day, most virii/trojans/etc will be history on the Win platform....

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I still use a PC for work because I have to, but my favorite machine in the house (other than playstation4) is...

the M1 chip is awesome

Don't tell me!

:hmm:

It must be made in...

:hmm:

South Korea !!!

;)

E.T.

Reaction score
Linux on an ancient AMD dual core. Microsoft, Apple, Intel and The Future in general can:
Rick.gif

nauc

Reaction score
Mac laptop screens are too floppy. wtf!

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I might be eating my own words. I was using my Surface Go 2 tablet and was updating it, and behold, "Upgrade to Windows 11 now for free".

I only use my tablet for general browsing, home working, streaming netflix, and to stream backing tracks for my drums, so I figured why not.

It's... not that bad. It's fast, and to be fair the battery is lasting longer. Actually, when used on a tablet at least, it's far easier to use and navigate aswell.

Therein may be the downfall when it comes to the desktop version though. Cosmetically it will take some getting used to on the desktop format. I obviously can't really comment on the true performance though.

Either way, even if the OS did turn out to be good, the way MS are limiting compatible hardware for their own financial gain ("your hardware is outdated... buy our shiny new hardware!") is very Apple and totally unforgivable.

Last edited:

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had the "you can upgrade to Win11" message too. Before I do, I just wanted to ask if there are any tangible benefits for a standard home user? (Office suite and browser are pretty much all I use). Thanks.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll give it a try on my desktop, its not doing any mission critical work at mo.

EpiLP1985

They call me Derek.
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me my Toshiba Satellite laptop in 2012 when I transferred from community college to RPI.

It has served me well over the years. A few years ago I dumped the contents of the hard drive (mostly pictures) to external drives and jacked up the RAM. I only keep about 20 gb of music from iTunes on the hard drive now and run disc cleaning and defragmentation once or twice a week.

It still runs great.

It is, however, not eligible for W11 due to hardware constraints, which is a big of a relief. I only recently started liking W10.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
I still have one PC on Win 7, as I don't have time to deal with the upgrade hell I had on my recording machine going to Win 10. I think I'll skip Win 11 and wait for Win 12. Every other version of Windows has been a train wreck since the dark days of NT4. Win XP was stable, then Windows Vista came out and it ran like a pig, even on a pre-installed laptop I bought for my wife. Then Windows 7 came out and it was fairly bullet proof. Then Win 8 came out and ran like a dog on anything but the latest hardware (think they're trying to help hardware manufacturers sell machines?).

So I expect Win 11 will be riddled with bugs and security holes until they provide the next service pack. I'll let others be the guinea pig on that one! :cool:

mdubya

Reaction score
I just bought a new laptop with the now ubiquitous Windows 11.

It is slick and fast but invasive and trying to share everything everywhere and with everybody. Fuhhhhh.... So frustrating.

I am getting it under control and have just enough skill and experience to do so. But the level to which ALL of our devices monitor our every move (and not anonymously, either) is maddening.

Apple is no better with that regard. And at a consumer level, there is no other choice. :mad2:

The fact a Microsoft account with personal info is now required to operate a PC is just so over the top invasive. I cannot even...

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
The dance required to get around using Edge as a browser is criminal. What a shakedown.

I would like to think something has to change, but I know better. All will comply.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fking horse Shiite!

I can’t even express how pissed off im getting… they are going to say it’s all marketing..

And there will be 90% who will comply and say it’s no problem… therefore allowing them in and respond with … see?? no one cares (like sheep to slaughter) …

I guess I need to go get mine and be counted….

Baaaa….

Latest Threads