Will This Work?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Hello all, I will try to explain as concisely as possible.

I have a gig coming up where we have an act opening for us and they will be using our equipment. The SweatHogs all use in-ear monitors, so this is something we won't be sharing. We plan to use their PA for a vocal monitoring system.

No problem with their speakers, they are wedge shaped and will be fine as floor monitors. However, their PA is a combo mixer amp from Yorkville. I want to patch two monitor sends from our mixer to the 7/8 and 9/10 channels of their combo amp using 1/4" cables.

I can't see why it shouldn't work, as I assume the monitor feed from our mixer will be line level. Attached below is a pic of their mixer combo.

Resized_20191030_183108.jpg

redking

Reaction score
Hello all, I will try to explain as concisely as possible.

I have a gig coming up where we have an act opening for us and they will be using our equipment. The SweatHogs all use in-ear monitors, so this is something we won't be sharing. We plan to use their PA for a vocal monitoring system.

No problem with their speakers, they are wedge shaped and will be fine as floor monitors. However, their PA is a combo mixer amp from Yorkville. I want to patch two monitor sends from our mixer to the 7/8 and 9/10 channels of their combo amp using 1/4" cables.

I can't see why it shouldn't work, as I assume the monitor feed from our mixer will be line level. Attached below is a pic of their mixer combo.

View attachment 418331
I think you might want to try it at rehearsal first. In theory your logic is sound.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
I want to patch two monitor sends from our mixer to the 7/8 and 9/10 channels of their combo amp using 1/4" cables.
Why are you using stereo channels in their mixer for monitors?

Are all of their monitors daisy chained, or are they split, like two on left main and two on right main off of their mixer?

For impedance sake for example.

If they are split then I can understand using stereo only IF they want a separate mix between the left and right sides.

Otherwise one send to a single mono channel of their board will supply an equal mono signal to each pair of mains - left and right.

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also, have you considered letting them set up their mikes and stuff through their own mixer and letting them handle their own mix, like they would otherwise?

Then you can just have them send you a mains stereo mix for the front of house through your rig.

Would only need two channels on your board for left and right.

They could even send you an aux mix (normally for monitors).. and adjust it to their liking.

Then all you have to do is crank it up for them.

I've done this at a few places we play that have a decent system. That way I control our monitors and mix, I just send them my master mix for them to amplify.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Thanks all. I just noticed in the pic that this mixer/amp has 'power-amp' in jacks on the bottom right of the unit. This will bypass the pre-amp and eq and be more manageable.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, have you considered letting them set up their mikes and stuff through their own mixer and letting them handle their own mix, like they would otherwise?

Then you can just have them send you a mains stereo mix for the front of house through your rig.

Would only need two channels on your board for left and right.

They could even send you an aux mix (normally for monitors).. and adjust it to their liking.

Then all you have to do is crank it up for them.

I've done this at a few places we play that have a decent system. That way I control our monitors and mix, I just send them my master mix for them to amplify.
This^ makes the most sense.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
This^ makes the most sense.
The guys are a trio of teens, all still in high school. I don't think they've played at a gig yet. They will bring only their guitars, mics and pedals then use our amps, drums and PA. They only need the monitors for vocals, so the plan is to run the drummer's and my monitor mix to channels A and B on their mixer/monitor. Teen drummer will get SweatHog drummer's mix, sans drums and the singer/guitarist will get mine (vocals only).

redking

Reaction score
Ugh, unfortunately we couldn't make this gig. The father of our drummer's granddaughter was murdered yesterday morning and he obviously had his family to take care of.

TBC.
Goddamn that's horrible! Terrible thing to happen to anyone's family. Sorry to hear about that!