Will there soon be a glut of old wood for sale?

marantz1300

Reaction score
The first wave of 50's Les Paul buyers are getting older and might not play any more or need money from their assets.
Will we see a sell off as they age and 50's guitars tumbling in price?

nicolasrivera

Reaction score
First ones to be up for sale, i predict, will be the so called "Clown Soup Bursts".

RevWillie

Reaction score
The vintage market is alive and well AFAIK, albeit at the new reduced prices. I think most things have hit the current bottom and prices seem to be rising again somewhat. Until the next big financial collapse hits (soon?), I think prices will be holding steady.

All those hoping to buy a Burst for $4K will have to wait for the apocalypse IMO - and then they won't have $4K anyway!

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All those hoping to buy a Burst for $4K will have to wait for the apocalypse IMO - and then they won't have $4K anyway!
Correct. It will be traded for a stash of FOOD! :laugh2:

pmonk

Reaction score
The problem collectors will be facing is what to do with the instruments when considering passing to the next generation.

Not an expert, can you trust a musical instrument?

Frogfur

Reaction score
The first wave of 50's Les Paul buyers are getting older and might not play any more or need money from their assets.
Can't wait for them all to drop dead myself so i can cash in their prized assets! after all, if they've held on to them all this time, they must be worth something..
I can sell it in a heart beat and by myself a CC# The Beast or whatever everybody wants right now..

Just say'n..that's all

Fiftywattmafia

Reaction score
Can't wait for them all to drop dead myself so i can cash in their prized assets! after all, if they've held on to them all this time, they must be worth something..
I can sell it in a heart beat and by myself a CC# The Beast or whatever everybody wants right now..

Just say'n..that's all
Another winner post. Glad that's all. Just say'n

marantz1300

Reaction score
Gentlemen.
I'm knocking on a bit myself.
Lets not let this degenerate into a who's dropping first contest.

Jimmi

Reaction score
I think it is reasonable to think there could be some of these become available at larger numbers. There is some reason to think that some that want to sell have sat on them because of the weak market waiting for prices to rise again. It isn't clear that the next generation who were not raised listening to Zeppelin or Clapton et al will not hold these guitars as valuable as the baby boomers and early gen x have.....items are only worth what people are prepared to pay. Could be that as this next generation hits the age where they could afford one they aren't willing to spend the cash. There a many forum members here who seem to value the Historics on at the same level already.

Short term, the market seems to have bumped a bit. Will be interesting to see if it lasts. I am conflicted on which I hope happens. Would be nice for my guitars to appreciate. On the other hand, I could get a great burst for what now would be considered a steal. :)

Skipped

Reaction score
I think most will have already changed hands. So the guitars are now with 50 year olds who are intending to live till they are 90. And let's remember - the total number of guitars is not a lot really.

I am more worried about all these Historics. A guy that buys the same guitar every month (huh?) must by now have a house full of R9s.
Worried might be the wrong word....

Chicken Wing

Banned
Reaction score
There are about, what? 1600 bursts out there?

No matter how soon we all drop dead, there will always be 10,000,000 guitarists worldwide who want one.
And think of all the upcoming Beck, Clapton and Page worshipers in emerging markets such as China, India and Brazil who will want to own an iconic guitar...Me? I'm buying now! Not for investment, but because I love it.

Jimmi

Reaction score
There are about, what? 1600 bursts out there?

No matter how soon we all drop dead, there will always be 10,000,000 guitarists worldwide who want one.
And think of all the upcoming Beck, Clapton and Page worshipers in emerging markets such as China, India and Brazil who will want to own an iconic guitar...Me? I'm buying now! Not for investment, but because I love it.
Me too. But I will say this, there is a growing market for shred era (ie post van Halen) guitars. Early Charvels, Jacksons and Ibanez. These were made in greater numbers so I doubt they will reach the same level but just shows how the focus could change a bit.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Delaware Gold said, the cultural dynamic is changing. There will be new buyers in the market from China, India, etc., who want, and have the means to buy, vintage Gibsons. After the supply runs out, they'll seek out the re-issues that have the most striking figured tops and highest quality wood.

My guess is that this will start happening in 5 years or so. Hold on to those stunning re-issues. It will pay off in the long run. :fingersx:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
and ammo, and fuel!
Touche!

It isn't clear that the next generation who were not raised listening to Zeppelin or Clapton et al will not hold these guitars as valuable as the baby boomers and early gen x have
"Classic" bands are having their music played MORE now than when it was released.

Early Charvels, Jacksons and Ibanez. These were made in greater numbers so I doubt they will reach the same level but just shows how the focus could change a bit.
Not early Azusa/San Dimas Charvels. They were not made in huge numbers.

As Delaware Gold said, the cultural dynamic is changing. There will be new buyers in the market from China, India, etc., who want, and have the means to buy, vintage Gibsons.
I'm not experiencing this at all. I keep "hearing" about emerging new markets...but I don't see it.

I think there are cultural and religious differences that may tamp down demand...at least for the foreseeable future.

Latest Threads