Will the UK leave the EU (THIS IS NOT POLITICAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LP121

Reaction score
Why can't the folks just live with the result of the vote and move forward? If they have another vote it completely devalues the whole purpose of a vote? it's like best 2 out of 3 rock, paper, scissors lol.

For Gods sake, unite and go forward!

They need to adopt the American mantra:

"Don't blame me, I didn't vote for em."

eraser

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting to note just who this character is who started the on line petition and managed to get it to two million in just one day.
He's a pro-Brexit supporter who started the petition prior to the close of the polls, due to his belief that the Remain campaign was going to win.

Maybe one of the reasons that the petition has been co-opted by Remain supporters is Nigel Farage's comment that "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way." ... i.e. if Remain obtained 52% of the vote, in Farage's view that would not be enough of a margin to be a conclusive vote.

The Churchill Society London. Churchill's Speeches.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Maybe one of the reasons that the petition has been co-opted by Remain supporters is Nigel Farage's comment that "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way." ... i.e. if Remain obtained 52% of the vote, in Farage's view that would not be enough of a margin to be a conclusive vote.
Not exactly. Farage' comment was directed precisely to Cameron's decision to extend the registration deadline by two days, transparently to rope in more young and heavily pro-Remain voters.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Politics and political posting on this forum ( which is against the rules ) is defined as party politics and commentary, pro or con, effigies or satire pictures, memes, "goof" pictures etc of politicians of any particular party or ideology, such as liberal, conservative, democrat, republican, left wing, right wing, Presidential politics etc. .

:hmm: @whatexactlyispolitics
If it bothers you so much, then stay out of the thread. Problem solved!

You're welcome.

lunchbox

Reaction score
Precisely.

You can reminisce about the good old days and relish how the fat cats in Brussels must be sh*tting themselves right about now for as long as you please. But the fact of the matter is that a decision of this magnitude has been made with absolutely no clue of what the real consequences might be.

It might prove to be for the best, or not. I have no idea. Neither does anyone else. Hence it's a reckless gamble the likes of which may screw over generations to come.

Make Great Britain great again? I daresay the exact opposite seems more likely.

I rest my case. :facepalm:
How in the world did all of the European nations ever get along for 1000+ years before without the EU?!!

:run:

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
How in the world did all of the European nations ever get along for 1000+ years before without the EU?!!

:run:
My concern is how well all of the European nations are going to get along without the EU if the exits continue. From what I have read one of the original and primary reasons for forming a European union was to create dis-incentives for future intercontinental conflicts. As far as I can tell that aspect has worked out well.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting link:
I didn

And this is what that link shows for those who do not wish to click on links:
'I was recently granted a rare glimpse behind the official façade of the EU when I met with its Trade Commissioner in her Brussels office. I was there to discuss the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP), the controversial treaty currently under negotiation between the EU and the USA.

'As Trade Commissioner, Cecilia Malmström occupies a powerful position in the apparatus of the EU. She heads up the trade directorate of the European Commission, the post previously given to Peter Mandelson when he was forced to quit front line politics in the UK. This puts her in charge of trade and investment policy for all 28 EU member states, and it is her officials that are currently trying to finalise the TTIP deal with the USA.

'In our meeting, I challenged Malmström over the huge opposition to TTIP across Europe. In the last year, a record three and a quarter million European citizens have signed the petition against it. Thousands of meetings and protests have been held across all 28 EU member states, including a spectacular 250,000-strong demonstration in Berlin this weekend.

'When put to her, Malmström acknowledged that a trade deal has never inspired such passionate and widespread opposition. Yet when I asked the trade commissioner how she could continue her persistent promotion of the deal in the face of such massive public opposition, her response came back icy cold: “I do not take my mandate from the European people

'So who does Cecilia Malmström take her mandate from? Officially, EU commissioners are supposed to follow the elected governments of Europe. Yet the European Commission is carrying on the TTIP negotiations behind closed doors without the proper involvement European governments, let alone MPs or members of the public. British civil servants have admitted to us that they have been kept in the dark throughout the TTIP talks, and that this makes their job impossible.

'In reality, as a new report from War on Want has just revealed, Malmström receives her orders directly from the corporate lobbyists that swarm around Brussels. The European Commission makes no secret of the fact that it takes its steer from industry lobbies such as BusinessEurope and the European Services Forum, much as a secretary takes down dictation. It's no wonder that the TTIP negotiations are set to serve corporate interests rather than public needs.'

So this is the kind of organisation the 'Remainers' want to be a part of...? Yeah, right!

Neofelis Nebulosa

Reaction score
Why can't the folks just live with the result of the vote and move forward? If they have another vote it completely devalues the whole purpose of a vote? it's like best 2 out of 3 rock, paper, scissors lol.

For Gods sake, unite and go forward!
Where can I vote on-line to uphold the original referendum vote? :hmm:

Sin Nombre

Reaction score
What always amuses me in threads like this are the people who have absolutely bugger all to constructively contribute who come in , moan, criticise and can't even be bothered to acknowledge someone's reply.
I completely agree it is better to be amused than angry regarding perceived doosh-baggery by fellow posters, especially considering how often those perceptions arise here, whether rightly or wrongly.

eraser

Banned
Reaction score
Not at all. You posted a link to a history of conflicts between nations in Europe without any more information. I simply asked what you were implying/suggesting.
ok...
- your question: "How in the world did all of the European nations ever get along for 1000+ years before without the EU?!!"

- my response: a list of European conflicts, showing that all of the European nations did not get along for 1000+ years before the EU

My apologies for not making it simpler for you to comprehend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads