Will the UK leave the EU (THIS IS NOT POLITICAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
MODS: This is not political in any way. Just a vehicle for those in other parts of the world to see what is happening in the UK now that the polls are closed, and the results are coming in slowly. It is fascinating, and history in the making.

Up listening to the first results coming in.

First predictions by the pundits were that the 'Remain' vote would win by a small margin.

Then a couple of large votes came in from Newcastle and Sunderland.
Newcastle was expected to have a big margin for remain. However the %age for remain was 50.7 to 49.3. Far narrower than expected.
Suderland was expected to have a narrow vote in favour of leaving. Result was in favour of leave by 61 to 39.
The pundits on the BBC here were almost knocked sideways at those two results.
This could be a very interesting night.
Please God, keep me awake as long as possible - this results lark is fascinating.

blackat

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hope not. It would be very short sighted.
Also, waiting....

Deus Vult

Reaction score
You guys are staying.

Let your chains rest lightly.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would happen if they voted to leave? wouldn't it give Britain more control of it's own country?

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kettering votes to leave, 61 to 39 %

These kind of %ages must be worrying for the remain campaign...

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What would happen if they voted to leave? wouldn't it give Britain more control of it's own country?
In simple terms, once detached from the EU, the rulings of our courts could not be over-turned by Brussels, and the laws made by Parliament could not be changed by Brussels (the 'capital' of the EU).
On the sensitive issue of immigration, presently any EU member can just walk in to the country. If we leave, there would be border controls similar to those countries like the US, AUstralia, etc..

This is going to be fascinating. Thank God I'm normally a night owl... :D

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree John....this is fascinating! History in the making. I'm following very closely.

jon1

Reaction score
I heard a very interesting theory at work yesterday (I work at a think tank). Apparently since exit poll results weren't allowed to be released until after the result was out, none of the major networks in the UK commissioned them. However, banks and hedge funds ran private exit polls so that they could invest ahead of time before the markets closed today. The pound closed at a record high for the year, so it's looking like remain if my theory holds.

cherryles

Reaction score
My prediction, the UK will leave, and I feel it's immigration that is the prominent force influencing leave voters, but that's just the whispers I've been hearing.
I reckon a leave vote would be no harm, followed swiftly by some major changes and favours from Brussels to sweeten the deal for the UK to backtrack and remain.

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The BBC coverage is saying every few mnutes that the remain %age is lower than expected, and the leave %age is higher than expected.

They are sitting on the fence (obviously) but the early indicators are that leave may just win.

They've just been to their man in Leeds, who says that the leave campaign are saying that they've won that vote 'by a country mile'.

I keep saying fascinating, but it is! It is the actual people of the UK speaking and having their say, not the politicians, on an issue that crosses the party politics divide, and it is quite eye-opening!

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My prediction, the UK will leave, and I feel it's immigration that is the prominent force influencing leave voters, but that's just the whispers I've been hearing.
I reckon a leave vote would be no harm, followed swiftly by some major changes and favours from Brussels to sweeten the deal for the UK to backtrack and remain.
From what I have read, the result is not LEGALLY binding, but it would be political suicide if the vote was to leave, and nothing was done. If the vote is to leave, then Cameron would then have to start the process, which would take about 2 years.

jon1

Reaction score
Just for all you lazy folk, if you google "brexit" you get the live results.

Big John

Don't mess with the cat
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"...hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way..."

So much for the quiet part. :D

jon1

Reaction score
At risk of sounding a little political (sorry mods), i do wish Americans would care a little more about this. I lived in London for six months, and now I'm back working in DC where you'd think out of anywhere in the US, people would care, but they have no idea what each side wants. Regardless of how you lean, this is an issue that will affect the US in one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads