Will it be necessary to wait for the lacquer to cure even though I won't buff it?

Kai_Eun

Reaction score
So I'm doing Precision guitar kit build.

I'm using Spray Lacquer from Korea, as I am South Korean and I think the result turned out quite well.

I'm satisfied with it.

My next step is to spray 5-6 coats of clear lacquer and call it a day.

I've heard that I would have to wait for at least 2 weeks or up to a month before I polish it and get the glossy beautiful look.

But I'm not thinking of buffing it, instead I want to wet sand it, probably up to 2000 grit.

In that case would it still be necessary to wait for 2 or more weeks to let the lacquer cure.

I've done intermediate sanding between sealer coats and had no issue with lacquer at all. KakaoTalk_20201125_100416737_01.jpg

Attachments

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes - it doesn't matter if you are not buffing. Buffing is just like polishing. Sanding with extremely fine grit is also polishing. 2000 grit is not really extremely fine grit though.

The cure time allows the finish to shrink back. You can think of it something like having slight orange peel. You want to wait until the finish has substantially cured, shrunk, and then you flatten it and work through the grits so you get a nice surface that should be somewhat stable.

I'm no pro but have done quite a few guitar finishes. I'm sure others will chime in.

Cheers Peter.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To elaborate....if you're not going to buff, the lacquer will always have a "rustic" texture ( and I am not saying I dislike that) even if you sand to 2000....yes sure it will shrink and gas off, but without being buffed to a high gloss where every little detail and witness line will be highly visible, it will be just fine.

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I misunderstood. I thought he wanted to just not buff but polish with a fine grit and get a similar finish? Why not wait and then wet sand after it cures? At least then you know what you will get.

Cheers Peter.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cannot chime in ref lacquer, but just to say if that’s a first attempt it’s a great job you’ve done there. Kudos.

ARandall

Reaction score
2000 grit will still look like you've forgotten to buff the guitar out. It is not matte, it is not aged looking.....it just tends to look 'incomplete' with somewhat random sanding scratches.
And if you sand early, you'll then get low spots as the clear sinks into the pores.

Personally if I was going to avoid the buffing (and I've done that very step on a few guitars) I'd just shoot your coats and aim for a really smooth last coat and do nothing fullstop....no papering at all. Then all you have to do is wait for the stink to die down then assemble.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Randall, what advice can you offer on getting a true Matt finish, I did a few tests on the poly paint on a strat body I'm preparing for lacquer, and results were a bit meh, I tried 800 and 1200, also tried a 10,000 which did dull without a scratched look, but was really subtle and not obviously Matt. My reference is the work historic makeovers did on the greeny makeover posted on here a while back.

Kai_Eun

Reaction score
Cannot chime in ref lacquer, but just to say if that’s a first attempt it’s a great job you’ve done there. Kudos.
Thanks. It's my first attempt.

But when I look in to details there are a lot of mistakes I've made. But I'm going to relic and I guess I would be able to cover up some of those.

Kai_Eun

Reaction score
To elaborate....if you're not going to buff, the lacquer will always have a "rustic" texture ( and I am not saying I dislike that) even if you sand to 2000....yes sure it will shrink and gas off, but without being buffed to a high gloss where every little detail and witness line will be highly visible, it will be just fine.
Thanks, I do learn from you a lot all the time!

ARandall

Reaction score
Hey Randall, what advice can you offer on getting a true Matt finish
There are additives that are 'flatteners' which you add to nitro.
Other paint types might come in a matte form as standard.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
Try steelwool 0000 for a matte finish but experiment first

Latest Threads