Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

• Yes

• No

• Somewhat

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Roger66

Reaction score
Mine too.
Mine used to be on hangers. Every single one got cosmetic damage where they contacted the hanger. I even tried covering the contact points with rabbit fur. Didn't work. I had no problems with the necks at all. I really don't think that it harms anything but the finish. If you hang them where they get direct sun at all, the finish will start to fade. I hate to say it and I don't recommend it, but I'd rather hang it by a tuning peg from a nail. You could use a leather cord tied to a tuning peg from a nail for free. Thats my 2 cents.

Cory

Reaction score
I want to buy this guitar with maple neck, but it's been hanging at the shop for almost 4 years. I'm not worried about the finish being damaged. I'm more concerned about if the headstock/neck will develop cracks inside the wood after such long term tension from hanging.
Not sure why you wouldn’t be concerned about the finish as well - discoloration can be easily avoided as well by using a hanger that will not react with nitro (Hercules hangers come to mind) - as stated by everyone else, your neck will not be damaged by just simply hanging it.

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine used to be on hangers. Every single one got cosmetic damage where they contacted the hanger. I even tried covering the contact points with rabbit fur. Didn't work. I had no problems with the necks at all. I really don't think that it harms anything but the finish. If you hang them where they get direct sun at all, the finish will start to fade. I hate to say it and I don't recommend it, but I'd rather hang it by a tuning peg from a nail. You could use a leather cord tied to a tuning peg from a nail for free. Thats my 2 cents.
I'm using a commercial hanging system. Same as used in guitar stores. No damage to finish has been experienced. Also no sunlight can shine on or near the guitars. So I still recommend it, with the way I do it.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
".........then they get shit on for necro-posting to it."

Oh boy have I! I wont be commenting on an old post ever again in this group. Talk about hate.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
OldTX,
By chance are you using Diamond Life hanging system? I just got a set of their 4 ft wall slats and (6) 12 inch hangers.
I have a really crappy phone camera or I would post a pic. I really need to post some pics. Online I compared it to a similar system and this seemed more robust. My only problem is that in my 2nd floor office in my house some of the studs are on 24 inch centers for a portion of the wall where I put up the wall slats. This is a shared wall to the bathroom. Made mounting a 4 ft wall slat panel a little tricky.

And I can already hear the jokes "...I got yer 12 inch hanger right here"

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to buy this guitar with maple neck, but it's been hanging at the shop for almost 4 years. I'm not worried about the finish being damaged. I'm more concerned about if the headstock/neck will develop cracks inside the wood after such long term tension from hanging.
:photos:

I usually ask first, and never once have I had a problem. If the shop owner/mgr can't accept that you want 3-4 pix to send to friends who are advising you, this is not a store you want to deal with.

TXOldRedRocker

A Variant Of Unknown Origin
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
OldTX,
By chance are you using Diamond Life hanging system? I just got a set of their 4 ft wall slats and (6) 12 inch hangers.
I have a really crappy phone camera or I would post a pic. I really need to post some pics. Online I compared it to a similar system and this seemed more robust. My only problem is that in my 2nd floor office in my house some of the studs are on 24 inch centers for a portion of the wall where I put up the wall slats. This is a shared wall to the bathroom. Made mounting a 4 ft wall slat panel a little tricky.

And I can already hear the jokes "...I got yer 12 inch hanger right here"

Fret,

I am using this:

String Swing Slatwall

...which looks very similar to the Diamond Life:

Diamond Life Slatwall

Here's what it looks like in my house.

6Hanging20210406.jpg

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
".........then they get shit on for necro-posting to it."

Oh boy have I! I wont be commenting on an old post ever again in this group. Talk about hate.
Well... If the thread is 10 years old and the person you are asking the question of hasn't been active for 5, then a little ribbing is in order ;)

The only time it really bothers me is when the new post is asking something of someone downstream.. and I'll drop into the thread and respond to the OP, then realize that my response is completely irrelevant... But that's not as bad as when the necro post isn't someone looking for information, but rather a "+1" on a 5 year old post.
Ya... bring out the torches!
Thankfully, the "like" feature has really reduced the "+1" thread bumps. It used to be really bad on a Chevy forum I was on.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
Well... If the thread is 10 years old and the person you are asking the question of hasn't been active for 5, then a little ribbing is in order ;)

The only time it really bothers me is when the new post is asking something of someone downstream.. and I'll drop into the thread and respond to the OP, then realize that my response is completely irrelevant... But that's not as bad as when the necro post isn't someone looking for information, but rather a "+1" on a 5 year old post.
Ya... bring out the torches!
Thankfully, the "like" feature has really reduced the "+1" thread bumps. It used to be really bad on a Chevy forum I was on.
Most definitely. After my last ass chewing, I now look at the posted date before adding to it. This all started when I created a post and someone else told me to go to the specific thread instead. I was cornfused....! Guy #1: there's already a thread just search it. (after searching) Guy #2: hey dumbass this thread is dead! I'm still learning the etiquette to this world.
Found another page called Lespaulforum.com. These two seem pretty similar.

DBDM

Reaction score
George Gruhn is my former neighbor and one of my best friends. He has (and has sold) guitars worth more than most people's houses. He hangs ALL of his guitars. I am unaware of any of his personal guitars that are kept in cases, unless he is transporting them. He uses cases to transport them but they all hang when not being transported.

Answer to the next question is "the original case if it is available or a Reunion Blues Gig bag"

Edit--for the record I keep MY guitars in their cases. I also transport them in their cases, usually. But I did get a Reunion Blues Gig bag because George uses one--and it is convenient to use on planes. I like it.

Last edited:

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
TXOldRedRocker,
You have some beautiful guitars! I don't have anything by comparison.

Are the hangers adjustable - in that they can be turned to face straight ahead, or left/right?

Additionally, a local guitar shop - Monkton Guitars/Broomfield (shameless plug) - uses the Diamond Life slat wall . I figured good enough for $20,000 original '64 Firebird V, good enough for my '89 American Standard Strat.

Latest Threads