Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

• Yes

• No

• Somewhat

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slow your roll turbo, this has been covered extensively in this forum, There’s a ton of info. My post was meant as a gentle suggestion to search for the desired info before starting another tired subject that’s been beat to death.
Have a nap and a sandwich
Except when the forum search function is damned near useless.... "Use the search" is a dick move.

People use the search and find a 15 year old thread, then they get shit on for necro-posting to it.
People post a new thread and someone shits on them for not using the search.

Chill and answer the guy's question if you have an answer.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Slow your roll turbo, this has been covered extensively in this forum, There’s a ton of info. My post was meant as a gentle suggestion to search for the desired info before starting another tired subject that’s been beat to death.
And just like that, you’re gone.

I love it when they make it easy.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The search function here is not the most helpful anyway. If you need to research something, use your search engine (google or whatever) and threads will show up there and then you can read those. Trust me, I've been doing it a lot lately to read old threads in the luthier area.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

"turbo"?

Gee Robmosis, what's my Delta Chi name?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Why do you care?
This the guy in the truck behind you, revving his engine and running up on your ass, who violently swerves out from behind you and storms past...

...right up to the red light that's 200 feet in front of him.

dro

Reaction score
Hanging won't hurt it as much as Hitting the floor when it falls off the wall.
Riding a motorcycle won't hurt as long as you keep the rubber on the road.
Flying in a plane won't. hurt till you crash into a mountain.
I don't like hanging mine. But that's my choice.
Guitars have been hung on walls for years and years.
I wouldn't hang a 1960 Les Paul. But I'd be willing to bet 1960 Les Paul's have been hung in the past.
Hanging may make some more adjustments necessary (truss rod, and intonation) as temp. and humidity changes. Depends on what you are after in a player.
I like my action as low as possible, and want intonation dead on. That's why I keep in a case.
Even then, conditions can make adjustments necessary 2 to 4 times per year depending on where you live.
If you are into recording and, are from the old school of recording.
You'll change strings Intonate and set truss rod before going in the studio anyway.
If you have a need to see it every day, hang it.
You paid for it, enjoy it.

Dazza

Reaction score
A consideration in hanging them is try to avoid placing them above a radiator or heating vent. Sounds obvious but has been overlooked. My mate's R8 suffered some accelerated shrinkage cracks when his elderly parents cranked the heat over a winter. Seasonal heat/humidity changes can cause issues like this already without the aid of aggressive indoor heating.

Daz

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A consideration in hanging them is try to avoid placing them above a radiator or heating vent. Sounds obvious but has been overlooked. My mate's R8 suffered some accelerated shrinkage cracks when his elderly parents cranked the heat over a winter. Seasonal heat/humidity changes can cause issues like this already without the aid of aggressive indoor heating.

Daz
Or exterior wall, or near a window, etc.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm here to tell ya, if you want to start a fight on this forum, just make a pronouncement for or against hanging your Lester on the wall.

I dare ya. :)
And if you want to keep a fight going, don't target one of the mods ;)

The fight will still end sooner or later, but if you keep the mods out of it, we'll get to play with you a little longer.

Like how a cat plays with a mouse.....

Brazilnut

Reaction score
I can't quite understand why someone would attack the LT. Just no future in that....
That reminds me....if you need finishing tips, or having to do with spraying lacquer, LT Dave's your man.

Latest Threads