Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

Will hanging a guitar by its headstock damage it?

• Yes

• No

• Somewhat

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

lionunagi

Reaction score
I want to buy this guitar with maple neck, but it's been hanging at the shop for almost 4 years. I'm not worried about the finish being damaged. I'm more concerned about if the headstock/neck will develop cracks inside the wood after such long term tension from hanging.

ARandall

Reaction score
To add to the info already posted here:

In its life as a part of a tree, the wood used in any instrument was subject to far greater stresses. A very large tree would have had several hundred tonnes of wooden material above/below (or both) its location. The cellular structures were well adapted to both weight pressing vertically down, but also twisting and bending forces being applied due to water and wind at the same time.
And although your neck is but a fraction of the tree's original girth, its strength for volume is well up to the comparatively tiny forces the guitar's mass and string tension might exert in a slow and controlled manner the instrument is designed around being used for.
Its only sharp forces (like falling off said stand/hanger) that exceed the design parameters of the instrument's structure.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will wood shrink?
There is some slight seasonal change with temperature and humidity.
In 45 years, I've not needed to adjust a truss rod on any guitar EXCEPT those that I have purchased in the last 10 years.
Difference being, those purchased in the last 10 years did not get a proper setup at the music store (or warehouse) where they were purchased.
We used to get a full setup without even knowing about it.

But I also live in an area with a very stable indoor climate. My home is always between 68 and 75 degrees, and the indoor humidity is always between 35% and 50%.
In some parts of the world, the truss rod needs to be adjusted twice a year because of changes from humidity.

But it's not going to shrink enough to impact playability or the scale length.

JMP

Reaction score
Oh no! Not this again! It’s clearly a terrible idea....proved by the scientists.

Last edited:

jvin248

Reaction score

Better check it with a ruler ... you might be buying a baritone.

No, you'll be fine from the hanger.

The problem will be what is the neck/headstock construction method? If it's that Gibson then you're at risk from cases, tipping over, bass players tripping on it, dogs and kids knocking it over from a floor stand, and more.

DaveSG

Reaction score
For four years! That guitar needs some love! Here's hoping they give you a great deal on it. If it has been there 4 years and finally has a buyer, I would expect them to want to sell that guitar bad.

There is a concept that if a guitar has been hanging out that long, it must be a bad guitar. Not so. I've heard some cool stories that point to the contrary.

One story I recently read (on MLP) had to do with a LP that was hanging up on the top rack for a long time, because it never stood out. But the lighting was also bad, and when he brought it down, it turned out it was really flamey. The angle gave the illusion of a plain top.
I had read somewhere else in another story that a guitar had been hanging on the upper racks for years, and finally someone asked to see it (because it was a plain jane R0/G0 I think), and nobody had ever asked to see it because it was just a homely looking guitar, but it turned out it was phenomenal. Then one of the guitar store guys said 'that is the best guitar in the entire store, but everyone passes it by'. Sometimes there are duds, but other times just the treasure waiting to be found. I hope it is the latter for the OP!

Robmosis

Reaction score
That’s not very helpful. In fact, some may say it was a dick move.

And I’d agree.
Slow your roll turbo, this has been covered extensively in this forum, There’s a ton of info. My post was meant as a gentle suggestion to search for the desired info before starting another tired subject that’s been beat to death.
Have a nap and a sandwich

Latest Threads