Will Gibson Make Another Collectors Choice Run??

tspoon5150

Reaction score
Gibson will making some more, I can not reveal them as I had to sign a secret agreement

not to expose the future candidates. They are killer.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Gibson will making some more, I can not reveal them as I had to sign a secret agreement

not to expose the future candidates. They are killer.
Makes total sense Tommy. I'm sure it is a profitable run so why stop. They just need to be a little more judicious about how many & how often IMHO.

Cheers, Rudi

tspoon5150

Reaction score
In the past, before the Collectors Choice Series, there were copies (mainly the color) of guitars from Beauty of the Burst Book.
During that run, I bought a few Historic guitars based from that book, example was a certain well known
guitar from different pages of that book.
After that series of Beauty of the Burst took off, Gibson went one step further by introducing the same concept,
Associate the guitarist, (sometimes the owner) of most popular bands with the new Collector
Choice Guitars and bam, they had a hit. Good idea except the flame did not always match the said guitar
of that series, some were very close.
There was some great success of certain runs, and some not so good. Problem is Gibson kinda ran it into
the ground and got to greedy. Some might argue that certain runs confused the masses with Artist Runs.
Good marketing concept but Gibson made too many of each run. The problem was sourcing the maple
for the tops, trying to match a large run of certain tops to match said CC run. Too many inconsistencies
in the Flame to match said CC run. Gibson should have cut the numbers of each run way back for demand and
future value for each run. Gibson also introduced a new CC run too fast, sometimes over lapping each run
for maximum profit.

Now, to answer the OP question, Gibson burned everyone out and made the CC runs a dime a dozen so to speak.
I don't know if Gibson will keep building certain runs. Very few are even left.

Why not stick with building a nice Burst, and let the owner pick out which one reminds them of a resemblance
of what their hero played. Find a Burst that you can play, and it speaks to you rather than show off.

Last, find a guitar that impresses you, not to impress some other knucklehead.

Hope that helps.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the past, before the Collectors Choice Series, there were copies (mainly the color) of guitars from Beauty of the Burst Book.
During that run, I bought a few Historic guitars based from that book, example was a certain well known
guitar from different pages of that book.
After that series of Beauty of the Burst took off, Gibson went one step further by introducing the same concept,
Associate the guitarist, (sometimes the owner) of most popular bands with the new Collector
Choice Guitars and bam, they had a hit. Good idea except the flame did not always match the said guitar
of that series, some were very close.
There was some great success of certain runs, and some not so good. Problem is Gibson kinda ran it into
the ground and got to greedy. Some might argue that certain runs confused the masses with Artist Runs.
Good marketing concept but Gibson made too many of each run. The problem was sourcing the maple
for the tops, trying to match a large run of certain tops to match said CC run. Too many inconsistencies
in the Flame to match said CC run. Gibson should have cut the numbers of each run way back for demand and
future value for each run. Gibson also introduced a new CC run too fast, sometimes over lapping each run
for maximum profit.

Now, to answer the OP question, Gibson burned everyone out and made the CC runs a dime a dozen so to speak.
I don't know if Gibson will keep building certain runs. Very few are even left.

Why not stick with building a nice Burst, and let the owner pick out which one reminds them of a resemblance
of what their hero played. Find a Burst that you can play, and it speaks to you rather than show off.

Last, find a guitar that impresses you, not to impress some other knucklehead.

Hope that helps.
Well..... sort of.

When I purchased mine I had a few different CCs to choose from.

There was a Sandy, a Beast, the Henry J R7, and another I’m forgetting at the moment. I picked the best (to me) instrument of the bunch.

The CC28 Montrose wasn’t even the best top,... and just felt right,..played right and sounded right to me.

All the CCs were previously owned by a single collector..... couldn’t play a lick..... that seemed odd to me cause I thought these were player made guitars.... at least they didn’t seem like wall flowers.

The point I’m trying to make is I bought mine because it was an awesome guitar regardless of who it was associated with or if anyone knew what it is..... I have often referred to mine as a 2014 R8 (which is what it is).... Rick and Ed made some quality instruments and I’m glad I got one.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
They really need to do another run of Greene/Moore bursts (CC#1). The prices on the originals are just ridiculous, making anything like Greenie completely out of reach for most of us (and I’d be willing to spend $10K on an aged one, but I can’t justify paying the $30K people are asking for them). Same thing goes for the Pearly Gates CC.

DanD

Reaction score
I'd pony up for a Pearly but only if they used Pearly like tops with the proper color shading.

The original run had many that weren't even close and others that were very close.

I'd suggest Gibson save tops over time to produce a more consistent run rather than just trying to cash in on name recognition.

Deus Vult

Reaction score
They really need to do another run of Greene/Moore bursts (CC#1). The prices on the originals are just ridiculous, making anything like Greenie completely out of reach for most of us (and I’d be willing to spend $10K on an aged one, but I can’t justify paying the $30K people are asking for them). Same thing goes for the Pearly Gates CC.
Yep and call it the Kirk Hammett burst :rofl:

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a Sandy, a Beast, the Henry J R7, and another I’m forgetting at the moment. I picked the best (to me) instrument of the bunch.
How did you like the Henry J R7??

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
How did you like the Henry J R7??
Actually the CC12 was quite sweet,.... the neck was very comfy,..... it was a bit brighter than my R7 but the neck had less shoulder than mine.... the Gibson logo sat lower on the headstock which was a nice touch. The aging was less aggressive..... but the Montrose had all that and a nice top and the color I really wanted.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually it was quite sweet,.... the neck was very comfy,..... it was a bit brighter than my R7 but the neck had less shoulder than mine.... the Gibson logo sat lower on the headstock which was a nice touch. The aging was less aggressive..... but the Montrose had all that and a nice top and the color I really wanted.
Thanks for the info. I have been very interested in that particular R7 for some time and just never pulled the trigger. Good to get some feedback on it and am glad you dig the CC28.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I have been very interested in that particular R7 for some time and just never pulled the trigger. Good to get some feedback on it and am glad you dig the CC28.
The CC12 is a nice R7 regardless of its association with Mr Hanky....

GearHo

Reaction score
Gibson is issuing the GearHo CC, for people that cant make up their mind about any guitar.

GearHo

Reaction score
How come nobody on this forum has a cc named after them?

GearHo

Reaction score
New names for CC models for 2020

The poser burst, for all you fake aging fucks that try to fool people

The "you can't afford it burst" for you poor people to lust over

The "what the fuck is that burst" for the ugly color and top guitar that no one wants.

The " we are out of improvements burst" so we finally realize Gibson has milked us for the last time.

My personal favorite will be the Bonamassa Burst, which will consist of every CC made, as Joe owns most of them anyway.

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would guess someone here would have to own an original '52-'60 LP that has some notoriety?:dunno:

I guess some whine-bag with a LP could qualify for the CC "douche burst",..... I'm sure someone in Gibson marketing could find a way to sell it. :rofl:

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score

there are some, I think the burst CC45 is based on is owned by a member here. IIRC CD was a member here at one time, and he owns the real CC24.

Latest Threads