Will British people ever think in metric?

River

Reaction score
it makes perfect sense to base all meaurements on the most abundant and frequently used substance in our every day lives.
Yeah, it's cool and all. If adoption had occurred at the pace they told us it would, I'd probably be on board. But it didn't, so I'm not. :dunno:

(And I like how the old system relates to body parts and natural objects. That's pretty cool, too.)

Lampens

Reaction score
Yeah, it's cool and all. If adoption had occurred at the pace they told us it would, I'd probably be on board. But it didn't, so I'm not. :dunno:

(And I like how the old system relates to body parts and natural objects. That's pretty cool, too.)

People are just too lazy to adept to it. It means they'd have to make an effort. Probably get tired by just thinking about it.

River

Reaction score
People are just too lazy to adept to it. It means they'd have to make an effort. Probably get tired by just thinking about it.
I won't admit to that. I know how it works, and can work with it. I just don't "think" in it because for 40 years of my life nothing I cared about was marked with it or, if it was, it was in print too small to read. And it's still pretty much that way.

rjshare

Reaction score

i think the problem with adopting the metric system - or not - is that it hs never been adopted from the top as it were. its all well and good teaching kids to measure in cm and kilos but then you leave school and buy beer by the pint and drive your new car at 100 miles per hour to see your buddies a few miles away or until you need to fill it up with several gallons of fuel!

Lampens

Reaction score
I won't admit to that. I know how it works, and can work with it. I just don't "think" in it because for 40 years of my life nothing I cared about was marked with it or, if it was, it was in print too small to read. And it's still pretty much that way.

I understand. With the euro I still occasionally revert back to the guilder to see how expensive everything turned out. But I hardly ever do that anymore. It changed so I just have to work with it. Took some time though. But if people never make an effort nothing changes.
And by comparing the two. Metric does make more sense.

River

Reaction score
i think the problem with adopting the metric system - or not - is that it hs never been adopted from the top as it were. its all well and good teaching kids to measure in cm and kilos but then you leave school and buy beer by the pint and drive your new car at 100 miles per hour to see your buddies a few miles away or until you need to fill it up with several gallons of fuel!
Agreed 100%. I'd bet some pretty serious lobbying has gone on to keep us on the "Imperial" system, though why escapes me. Never gave it much thought or research.

rjshare

Reaction score
the only problem i have with the euro is its stupid fvcking name!

Reaction score
:thumb:

I've seen evidence of more engineers and mathemeticians of one sort or another here than I see in real life. :hmm:

train_hat_large.jpg

Toot-toot, ding-ding, kitty-kitty, wing-wing!

What the heck sort of train are you riding that goes "kitty-kitty, wing-wing"?!?

Ah yes...

2a0c4104-ac67-402c-8350-6b7ff7ac58f6.jpg

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

Seems there always plenty of assholes around telling us how to think, what to use.....
.....well, I prefer imperial and that's what I'm goin' to use - 49mm x 97mm is 2"x4"

rjshare

Reaction score
Seems there always plenty of assholes around telling us how to think, what to use.....
.....well, I prefer imperial and that's what I'm goin' to use - 49mm x 97mm is 2"x4"

that is the silly thing though - 2 x 4 is fine - its when you use threaded tools or fixings that it becomes annoying. give me metric spanners any day rather than 5/16ths etc!

if it works for you, use it :D

Tuesday'sGone

Reaction score
Because for 99.99% recurring of the world's population, it means jack-shit, and it doesn't affect their daily life. Must say it means feck-all to me in my 61 years, and will mean feck-all to me for the rest of my life...! :dude:

Perhaps you are under the illusion that all that you know and think is vital to the world... :hmm:

He's at that stage in life were he learns something at university and thinks that lifts him above the common folk.

Sin, how about you try traveling the world and see what it's really like. I think you might be surprised, then again, I'm sure you have read about it all.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score

Then again - I preferred £/s/d (librae, solidi, denarii) to our current token system.....

John Vasco

I'm with the band
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Then again - I preferred £/s/d (librae, solidi, denarii) to our current token system.....

Ah yes, 15th February 1971, I remember it well. We were told a penny was still a penny. Feckin' liars! Everything that went up a penny from that date actually went up 2.4 pence in old money! Businesses big and small screwed us over royally for quite some time on that one!!! :dude:

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
We
could
answer
every question
in binary - two states.....

YES / NO

MenaceMartin

Reaction score
I much prefer Grams/Kilograms, Centimeters/Meters, Litres, Miles, etc...

Been using them all my life and are pretty piss easy.

Latest Threads