WILL A 50's WIRING HARNESS IMPROVE SOUND WITH GIBSON P90 ALNICO V ROD MAGNET PICKUPS?

Woman Tone Man

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut P90 with alnico V rod magnets in both the bridge and neck positions. If remove the stock Gibson quick connect wiring circuit, what noticeable improvements would I see replacing it with a 50's wiring kit?

Also which wiring kits out there are good?

Hecubus

Reaction score
No. 50s wiring changes how pickups respond to adjustments from the volume and tone knob. You can change from modern to 50s wiring by moving one connection. This will not affect the overall sound of your guitar.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
"Improvement" is just a matter of personal preference, regarding sound and the way controls feel and function on a guitar. So, you're probably just going to get a slew of responses that are other's personal preferences, as a result.

Strictly factually - swapping out that harness will allow you to use the components with the exact values, tapers, feel, and circuit that you prefer, as well as being more easily serviceable going forward. That's the factual improvements.

Whether or not the stock harness is musically ideal for you personally, only you can say.

LocoTex

Reaction score
A 2015, right? I had a 2015 Junior and hated the magnetic pole piece P90. I currently have a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker that had the pole piece magnet P90s - I swapped out the bridge pickup for a Wolfetone P90 and like it way better. The stock neck pickup is alright.

LocoTex

Reaction score
And to replace the bridge pickup I just unplugged the quick connect, removed the pickup and replaced with the traditional P90. Soldered the old fashioned way with the braided cable.

Last edited:

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
If you just changed from modern wiring to 50's wiring you might notice a little more clarity, not as muddy especially when rolling the volume down.

Modern wiring has the capacitor and tone pot in front of the volume pot and "loads" the circuit making it sound warmer.

50's wiring has the cap and tone pot after the volume pot, no load and controls respond a bit differently and is a tad brighter, clearer when compared to the modern circuit.

Latest Threads