Will 2016 price drop be applied to True Historics?

indravayu

Reaction score
So, for the 2016 models (which are already popping up), Gibson USA is returning to pre-2015 specs (at least on a number of models) and dropping their prices a bit.

What are the chances that Gibson Custom shop will follow suit and lower prices on True Historics?

Do you think that the cursed CS series will continue in 2016, or will it be abandoned? If they do discontinue them, will they bring back regular Historics?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Doubt it.

No matter how they repackage the Historic line, they'll always be collectors who will pay anything to get one. Or two. Or fifteen.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the source of your info?

2016 price drop? Correcting a bad mistake seems too logical...

MikeyV

Reaction score
Man, they better roll that *tihs* back, yo.

Think about it this way. TH costs roughly 30% more than a Regular historic. Last year, and even 2013, there were SO MANY NGDs. People would often buy 2-3 of the things.

This year, I've seen about four TH NGD on this forum. And one CS NGD.

I can't see how they would be even close to the same revenue this year as in 2013 and 2014. 30% price bump, 90% decrease in sales.

Add in the major screw up in the USA line, and I'd not be surprised if their revenues fell 80%. If it didn't, you would not see Henry doing such an abrupt about-face. Just after he told the world "You don't like the Robotuners? F-you, you're getting them, it's where Gibson is going...lifestyle brand"

LOL @ Henry...that guy's ego must be so huge.

MikeyV

Reaction score
And I'm being nice about calling the 2015 model year a "year." More like 5 months. That flip-flop didn't take long.

What do you guys think all the CS employees are doing, whistlin' Dixie? They used to make 10K Historic Les Pauls a year, now they make about 100.

Biggest f-up ever. If they had put the new plastics, new covers and new finishes on the regular historic line, even dole-ing them out over a few years, and raise the price $500 or so, they would have been in a much better position. I'd be looking for one.

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
MF and GC blowing out the CS line for $2799 in 3...2.....1.....

Just like they did with the Hot Mod Series.

I knew this would happen, that's why I told anyone who'd listen "Stay away from anything 2015".

jlb32

Reaction score
I'd guess they almost have to revert back somewhat. Not sure about a huge price drop on the TH's but I could see a price drop.

The CS line does not seem to be selling or working. I could definitely see it being discontinued. Why make them if they don't sell.

Gibsons biggest money maker for the Custom Shop in 2015 was continuing to sell 2014 models at 2014 prices in 2015. That should tell them a lot.

They pushed the pricing limits on consumers this year and the consumers answered for the most part with "NO THANKS".

dwk302

Reaction score
They'll probably do something. They'll have to. Doesn't seem like there's much demand for the CS series, and the TH series may have lead more people to the HM.

I have my eye on a 2016 Firebird for $1099. Not bad at all. Glad people voted with their money.

indravayu

Reaction score
If they do blow out the CS models, how many of you guys will consider buying one? :)

I have a few good reviews of them, but that tenon, though...

MikeyV

Reaction score
Considering you can still buy a new 13/14 R7/8/9/0 for $3700 to $4700 pretty easily, they better put a big discount on them.

jlb32

Reaction score
If they do blow out the CS models, how many of you guys will consider buying one? :)

IMO they would have to have some amazing blow out prices for them to move. $500 off IMO won't sell them. They would have to be several thousand dollars cheaper IMO for a lot to consider one.

To many great new and used previous years Historic Reissues for great prices out there.

ccrandall88

Reaction score

If a CS9 was going for around $3000 as a blowout price, I would consider it.

Sct13

Reaction score

I played a few, and I couldn't tell the difference, but I got into the historic for the reasons they took away from that model....so why not just get a standard?

No I wont be....

but they are nice....well made and certainly good quality

Sct13

Reaction score
but now that I think about it....what a handy dandy little way to kill a used market....which was the whole point I think....

Latest Threads