Wilkinson MWHZ vs Seymour Duncan Slash Alnico II

gadafi

Reaction score
Hi guys, stumbled across this on YT and found it pretty interesting.

Antigua

Reaction score
Someone in the YouTube comments said "I'm betting the biggest difference here is old strings vs new strings", and they did say it was a pickup swap for a customer, which I'm sure would involve putting on new strings, if the existing strings were warn out, and the difference in brightness is so dramatic that I'd say I'm hearing some warn out strings, and some brand new strings. I don't think Alnico 2 PAF type pickups are really known for being that bright, otherwise.

gadafi

Reaction score
Someone in the YouTube comments said "I'm betting the biggest difference here is old strings vs new strings", and they did say it was a pickup swap for a customer, which I'm sure would involve putting on new strings, if the existing strings were warn out, and the difference in brightness is so dramatic that I'd say I'm hearing some warn out strings, and some brand new strings. I don't think Alnico 2 PAF type pickups are really known for being that bright, otherwise.
I hear you mate. No doubt it would be a new set of strings. Some other comments also said different pups need different amp settings which is a fair call too.

Either way I was pretty impressed with the Wilkinson's when you take a look at what you can pick them up for.

I came across the vid because I am thinking about maybe changing out the stock 2010 Trad pups which I believe are a '57 Classics in the neck and a ’57 Classic Plus in the bridge for something else with a bit more edge and the Alnico II's were in the mix.

Latest Threads