Wildwood Spec 60th Anniversary ‘59

Clint

Reaction score
I did read your entire post but still wonder.....who exactly advertised it as an IRW board, the dealer or Gibson, and how did you determine it wasn't IRW? Defective bridge? What was up with that. Point being that you say "I expect more from the Custom Shop", but, at least 2 of the issues you mention have nothing to do with the Custom Shop at all.
I was referring to the other poster but since you asked...
The dealer was the one that "confirmed" that it had an IRW board yet the label on the original carton was pretty explicit:
Was that so hard to figure out?
I think some of you guys forget what the post was about. I was only stating my recent experiences with a couple new Les Pauls and would gladly pay a little more to a place like WW. I also own a WW 10 I bought used from WW and it is flawless. Maybe some other folks who have recent buying experiences can chime in?

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. Not even for a little extra "how's your father". Pretty sure only the Music Zoo would be lower on my retail list, but they're really the same place. But you guys buy what you want from where you want. Not my money.

Ill admit that they do indeed get some nice stuff though.

But remember the little guy without the celebrity videos, famous clients, and nice website also do. You just have to try a little bit.

Reaction score
No way you paid them 6500.00 ?? Why? Some of these big dealers are full of crap...these guys are charging stupid prices for used guitars ….I mean 12.5k for a 2003 Brazilian??? C'mon now.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the other poster but since you asked...
The dealer was the one that "confirmed" that it had an IRW board yet the label on the original carton was pretty explicit:
Was that so hard to figure out?
I think some of you guys forget what the post was about. I was only stating my recent experiences with a couple new Les Pauls and would gladly pay a little more to a place like WW. I also own a WW 10 I bought used from WW and it is flawless. Maybe some other folks who have recent buying experiences can chime in?
And many here are only stating what their experiences are. There are a lot of dealers and sponsors here that you can get a great Les Paul, accurate information, and great service from without paying ANY extra, and less than MAP.

Haprom

Reaction score
I have bought several new Wildwood spec R9's as well as R0's and never paid MAP! Never...

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well.....I've had to return the last two non-WW recent R9s for various QA issues. Cracked pickguard, gummy neck, defective bridge, pau ferro board but advertised as Indian RW, etc. Never had that problem when I deal with WW. I think WW gets the top tier stuff and charges a bit more. YMMV.
That said, I do think the pricing is getting a little out of control. Great time to buy used.
I did read what you posted .....
I replied to what you posted ... And now there are other "things"
I'm Sorry I should have known when you wrote "Various Issues" and then described a bunch of them that was it ...
The "etc"... part, I should have known were the Important things ....

Makes sense to me now ... We'll just guess at what you alluded to ...

uncajoey

Reaction score
R9s are beautiful, but In my world you can buy a used R7 and two really nice USA Lesters for the kind of money we’re talking about here. I just personally don’t see the value.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Some folk love buying from WW; there ain't nuthing wrong with that and WW do get nice stuff. WW would never sell a new R9 to me at MAP!!! Never! WW offered to sell it to me at $200 below MAP! And I had to pay cash. Man, I don't know about you guys but $200 could sure buy me a lot of strings.

Obviously, I bought my R9 from someone else who didn't treat me like I was ignorant and stoopid.

But WW get nice stuff. I just don't know the secret handshake...

jlb32

Reaction score
I like WIldwood but on certain guitars they just do not deal much off MAP. That is when I go elsewhere and save a ton.

If Wildwood wants my business they have to come off of MAP like others.

They finally did, after a major email and phone debate, on my Chris Cornell, but at most times I think they are to stuck on themselves and won't move on price. I just got lucky on my Cornell to get them to deal.

That is why I have not bought more from them over the years, after a ton of inquires, they are to high and won't budge on 90% of their guitars.

jstarr823

Reaction score
I've tried buying at least 6 Gibsons from WW over the past few years. They have ZERO willingness to deal. I don't know what changed. About 5 years ago I bought a Thin Skin Tele from them and got a great deal. Aside from that, I did buy 2 PRS from them and both had QC issues... I was shocked. I thought that maybe WW got the "cream of the crop" stuff, but that wasn't the case. Probably won't buy from them again. The neck nitro on the Thin Skin is still drying. FML.

coldengray

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've gotten deals from Wildwood that were in line with what I was offered from Sweetwater and CME, although that was several years ago.

Crotch

Triggered
Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're paying more than $5500 (and I mean tops) for a new R9 than you are paying too much. Its really that simple. You can actually find shops in the 4's still. New

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
WW is a fine store , no doubt (I've bought a couple from them) . BUT , I like paying less ... When I was buying guitars that is ....If the store is good and it has what you want ...for less , I buy it .... I's not like you are MARRIED to 1 store .
Good thing I still love my 2015 TH R0 ... I don't think I could get anything Gibson, that's better .
Play the damn thing .....
Price doesn't really matter , if the guitar is calling to you , it's just figuring out how to pay for it ,when it's over your price point .....

PauloQS

Reaction score
I also wouldn’t pay extra for a hand picked top. Forgive my generalizations, but some of the hand picked ones are so symmetrical they look almost synthetic and the ones that look more asymmetrical and natural just have too much flame on them. I can find pretty and natural looking tops among the regular R9s. However, I could see myself paying a little extra (no more than $200) for an R9 that weighs around 7lbs 10oz or less. Not that I think that lighter guitars sound better. They’re just more comfortable when I play for more than one hour straight, which I often do (2+ hours).

My Les Paul Classifieds