Wildwood Spec 60th Anniversary ‘59

DryFly

Reaction score
What’s different about these LPs vs the Standard 60th Anniversary ‘59? I noticed they have custom spec pickups, but are there other differences?

Also, how do these pickups compare to the standard Custombuckers?

Are they worth the extra $800? At $6,500 it seems like the standard 60th Anniversary should already be “perfect”.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
aged plastics from the factory .. that's a first

jktxs

Reaction score
Are they worth the extra $800? At $6,500 it seems like the standard 60th Anniversary should already be “perfect”.
It's not about whether the base specs are perfect. Custom specs usually are an upcharge.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Handpicked woods, aged plastics/hardware and underwound Custombuckers about sums up the 2019 Wildwood Spec.

I have some experience with their pickups on the pre-2019 pots and caps. I felt indifferent about them. In comparison to regular CBs, I found them to have added clarity, particularly in the neck pickup on darker sounding amps. Adversely, I found them to be lacking in the bridge when I wanted more push for the harder classic rock. Though I guess they are not really meant for that. Aged plastics/hardware are a nice touch to have without being full blown aged (no dings all over the guitar). After market options for plastics and pups will probably get you there cheaper.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Total ripoff. Other than some different pickup specs, the rest is smoke and mirrors. I always laugh when I see people advertising these used thinking they will get their upcharge back.

They select their woods the same way other sponsors here do. That “hand selection” thing is bullshit, and so is the rest of it. Sure, they are nice over there, and dongood demo videos, but “wildwood spec” is a joke.

Last edited:

Clint

Reaction score
Well.....I've had to return the last two non-WW recent R9s for various QA issues. Cracked pickguard, gummy neck, defective bridge, pau ferro board but advertised as Indian RW, etc. Never had that problem when I deal with WW. I think WW gets the top tier stuff and charges a bit more. YMMV.
That said, I do think the pricing is getting a little out of control. Great time to buy used.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well.....I've had to return the last two non-WW recent R9s for various QA issues. Cracked pickguard, gummy neck, defective bridge, pau ferro board but advertised as Indian RW, etc. Never had that problem when I deal with WW. I think WW gets the top tier stuff and charges a bit more. YMMV.
That said, I do think the pricing is getting a little out of control. Great time to buy used.
I've been to the custom shop twice. The smaller dealers (i.e. NOT Guitar Center, Sweetwater, etc.) get emailed tops and such. House of Guitars, Dave's, and yes, Wildwood. That's as far as "top tier stuff" goes.

A cracked pick guard? That could have happened during shipping. If the guitar was great, the dealer could have sent you a pick guard, so that doesn't make much sense.

Gummy neck? That's a VOS thing, and can be polished out. You can pretty much expect that with a VOS finish.

Clint

Reaction score
I was just pointing out that I've never encountered these problems buying from WW and I've gone through more than my share.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
the Wildwood 60th Anniversary Les Paul blurb states "our resident Gibson expert flew to Nashville and hand selected each top and fingerboard" so that is part of the price increase I'm sure

HearHear

Reaction score
My worthless 2 cents- Wildwood has some gorgeous looking guitars on their site. However, I just bought a gorgeous '59 60th Anniversary with Indian rosewood fretboards for $6,500 somewhere else. Wildwood is charging $7,299 for basically the same guitar. The main difference I see "visually" is that Wildwood models have a darker finish on the back and more pronounced flame. There might be other differences as well I can't see. My opinion- If you have patience, shop around and ask for exactly what you want, give them a price limit, and you'll probably get your dream guitar cheaper than $7,299. You really have to consider resale value when looking at that figure.

My $6,500 charmer, Indian rosewood-

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
My worthless 2 cents- Wildwood has some gorgeous looking guitars on their site. However, I just bought a gorgeous '59 60th Anniversary with Indian rosewood fretboards for $6,500 somewhere else. Wildwood is charging $7,299 for basically the same guitar. The main difference I see "visually" is that Wildwood models have a darker finish on the back and more pronounced flame. There might be other differences as well I can't see. My opinion- If you have patience, shop around and ask for exactly what you want, give them a price limit, and you'll probably get your dream guitar cheaper than $7,299. You really have to consider resale value when looking at that figure.

My $6,500 charmer, Indian rosewood-

Your two cents is not worthless, and your guitar is beautiful. There are several places that won't charge MAP though. Don't pay MAP.

jamman

Premium Member
Reaction score
:slap::slap::slap::beer:
WTF???? You bought 2 NEW R9's . 1 with a cracked PG and didn't complain to the seller about it ???? Really ????
I recall buying a NEW Gibson years ago (don't recall which 1 right now) But it didn't have the PG in the case as it should .After talking with Gibson on the phone , Gibson sent me a new PG and all the hardware that goes with it within 2 weeks ,FREE of Charge . Unless the warranty has changed recently ,Gibson has always been really good about correcting any issues that come up .
Gummy necks happens to almost anyone that has Humidity ..and sweets (everybody sweets) . A little polish and ...It's like new ....smooth as silk ....
.:wtf::slap:

OP ,
After the Pups and sometimes the "WW Burst"(renamed color ?") color stain ,unless listed , nothing else is different ,,,,, Less the up-charge . IMO, those pups ain't worth the upcharge . As nice as some have posted about them .... You could pay less for custom made Pups ,spec'd to your liking . And get Double whites ,most of the time ....Which is something Gibson will not do for you ,as of today , (as far as I know).
shop around . You can get a much better price ...

Clint

Reaction score
:slap::slap::slap::beer:

WTF???? You bought 2 NEW R9's . 1 with a cracked PG and didn't complain to the seller about it ???? Really ????
I recall buying a NEW Gibson years ago (don't recall which 1 right now) But it didn't have the PG in the case as it should .After talking with Gibson on the phone , Gibson sent me a new PG and all the hardware that goes with it within 2 weeks ,FREE of Charge . Unless the warranty has changed recently ,Gibson has always been really good about correcting any issues that come up .
Gummy necks happens to almost anyone that has Humidity ..and sweets (everybody sweets) . A little polish and ...It's like new ....smooth as silk ....
.:wtf::slap:

OP ,
After the Pups and sometimes the "WW Burst"(renamed color ?") color stain ,unless listed , nothing else is different ,,,,, Less the up-charge . IMO, those pups ain't worth the upcharge . As nice as some have posted about them .... You could pay less for custom made Pups ,spec'd to your liking . And get Double whites ,most of the time ....Which is something Gibson will not do for you ,as of today , (as far as I know).
shop around . You can get a much better price ...
Maybe read my entire post Mr. WTF.
There were other issues. I expect more from the Custom Shop. $6K guitar? Yeah, it should be pretty flawless. In addition to the issues, one of them arrived in the wrong case wrong COA.
Never had any probs buying from WW and never paid MAP, either.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe read my entire post Mr. WTF.
There were other issues. I expect more from the Custom Shop. $6K guitar? Yeah, it should be pretty flawless. In addition to the issues, one of them arrived in the wrong case wrong COA.
Never had any probs buying from WW and never paid MAP, either.
I did read your entire post but still wonder.....who exactly advertised it as an IRW board, the dealer or Gibson, and how did you determine it wasn't IRW? Defective bridge? What was up with that. Point being that you say "I expect more from the Custom Shop", but, at least 2 of the issues you mention have nothing to do with the Custom Shop at all.