Wildwood Select '60s Standards

peobryant

Reaction score
Wildwood Guitars is now doing runs of '60s Standards. As of now, it looks like they only have two in stock and they are both dark cherry bursts. Unfortunately, it looks like the only difference from their '50s run is a smaller neck, tuners, and knobs. The '60s Standard still has the Wildwood Spec '59 Tribute humbuckers, I was expecting something else, to be honest, although I suppose it does make sense given that they are supposed to be PAF replicas.

Here are links to the two guitars for those interested.

I wonder if we'll see another color as they get more in stock.

RocketKing

Reaction score
Paf replica is a bit of a big word in regards to the 59 tributes. I've had them.
I'd say vintage inspired at most.
I share your surprise, being 60s standards a pick up set more in line with what was made in the early 60s would have made more sense.

Cjsinla

Reaction score
I love 59 Tributes. Do you know if the ABR‘s posts screw directly into the wood?

Jmpman

Reaction score
Wildwood Guitars is now doing runs of '60s Standards. As of now, it looks like they only have two in stock and they are both dark cherry bursts. Unfortunately, it looks like the only difference from their '50s run is a smaller neck, tuners, and knobs. The '60s Standard still has the Wildwood Spec '59 Tribute humbuckers, I was expecting something else, to be honest, although I suppose it does make sense given that they are supposed to be PAF replicas.

Here are links to the two guitars for those interested.

I wonder if we'll see another color as they get more in stock.

From what my rep told me, the 60's WW Select Standards will also be available in HoneyBurst.

Injector

Reaction score
Gibson has made so many 'PAF replica' pickups over the years. Each time they come out with a new set they say "this time we've finally nailed it!"
They're all slightly different but that's as far as it goes.

As for the Wildwood 60s not having 60s-style pickups....well that's a bit odd.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Gibson has made so many 'PAF replica' pickups over the years. Each time they come out with a new set they say "this time we've finally nailed it!"
They're all slightly different but that's as far as it goes.

As for the Wildwood 60s not having 60s-style pickups....well that's a bit odd.
But bro, this time they HAVE finally nailed it!
...With the All new 59’ Sunburst pro buckers. Hand wound with Billy Gibbons beard hair.

Smooth articulation, punchy mids, dribbles of pancake syrup on the covers, it’s all there.

moreles

Reaction score
Lots of money is being made concocting "new" "authentic" "best ever" reproductions of pickups that were inconsistent (not necessarily Holy Grail vs. Dog; just varied in sound) back when they were in production. I love moderate or low output PAF-style humbuckers (not the hot crap often sold as PAF-type) but have very little trouble dialing in great tones from a whole lot of regular production PUs, with Duncans(Seth Lovers, say) as my go-to. Given that most players don't know how to adjust PU height, or don't bother with it, and play through several pedals, or into a mediocre amp, I just don't understand the endless PU swapping that players do, though I do understand the mercenary BS marketing that makers are into in order to move more units to buyers. I'm sure many forum members will be quick to say their musical lives were saved by this or that magic pickup. Fine. I work the other way. Give me a decent PU and I'll work hards to come up with stuff that capitalizes on the musical sound of that unit. I never chase imaginary sounds.

Latest Threads