Wildwood Guitars - Negotiating With

ARandall

Reaction score
There are shortages at the moment in a lot of 'raw materials', plus the more recent price raises probably means the lower priced old stock will be in high demand relatively speaking.

redking

Reaction score
For comparison sake, when I bought my AAA top Les Paul Standard this past winter from Long & Mcquade in Canada (they are also the Gibson distributor in Canada), the sales guy gave me ~$200 off because it was a special edition model and it wouldn't be re-stocked after it was sold. So maybe there are little things like that built into their sales system that allow them some wiggle room - doesn't hurt to ask.

sputnik

Reaction score
I’ve bought a few from them. I’ve found that Troy and Steve give the best deals. I would contact them directly instead emailing the Wildwood sales email.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have more luck if you’re paying up front and not financing, since they have to pay the finance company when it’s a zero interest loan. That goes for a lot of retailers.

You are correct in that they probably can't offer a deal if you finance, but not for the reason stated. Many of the finance companies have clauses in their arrangements with the retailer that *forbid* them from discounting the price further because they want you to borrow the maximum amount, as that's the best chance you'll miss a payment or default and maximizes the interest they can charge. Most retailers get a bonus for referring people to the financing option, regardless of the rate. WW doesn't have to pay the finance company....they pay WW. The finance companies offer 0% not because they are being nice to you, but because their actuaries show that enough people default or are late on payments that they get to charge the full boat interest back to the first payment plus penalties. That revenue far outweighs carrying the loan for good credit borrowers who pay it off on time or early (and they don't have to spend any money on court claims, etc., on good credit borrowers). Wildwood gets the benefit of more people being able to buy guitars because of the finance option. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
You are correct in that they probably can't offer a deal if you finance, but not for the reason stated. Many of the finance companies have clauses in their arrangements with the retailer that *forbid* them from discounting the price further because they want you to borrow the maximum amount, as that's the best chance you'll miss a payment or default and maximizes the interest they can charge. Most retailers get a bonus for referring people to the financing option, regardless of the rate. WW doesn't have to pay the finance company....they pay WW. The finance companies offer 0% not because they are being nice to you, but because their actuaries show that enough people default or are late on payments that they get to charge the full boat interest back to the first payment plus penalties. That revenue far outweighs carrying the loan for good credit borrowers who pay it off on time or early (and they don't have to spend any money on court claims, etc., on good credit borrowers). Wildwood gets the benefit of more people being able to buy guitars because of the finance option. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.
Well if it operates anything like the automotive lending industry, which I am a part of - this is not accurate. Any time you get a rate of 0% financing on a consumer product its because the retailer has "bought down" the rate on the finance contract to 0% and then put the finance charge in the margin of the product. No lender is going to try and make money hoping for loan defaults because the collateral always depreciates below the value of the loan very quickly so there is a huge risk of loss to the lender. Also, in this scenario, there is almost always a commission paid to the retailer by the lender, which makes the bank's margin even slimmer.

KS 5150

Reaction score
For comparison sake, when I bought my AAA top Les Paul Standard this past winter from Long & Mcquade in Canada (they are also the Gibson distributor in Canada), the sales guy gave me ~$200 off because it was a special edition model and it wouldn't be re-stocked after it was sold. So maybe there are little things like that built into their sales system that allow them some wiggle room - doesn't hurt to ask.
Wow, you must be a magician! I've only ever once had a discount offered at McQuade. $100 off a brand new LP Standard I was interested in. I walked and was considering it, but it had sold by the time I returned. I wound up finding a NOS Traditional elsewhere that I still treasure.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
... Any time you get a rate of 0% financing on a consumer product its because the retailer has "bought down" the rate on the finance contract to 0% and then put the finance charge in the margin of the product. No lender is going to try and make money hoping for loan defaults because the collateral always depreciates below the value of the loan very quickly so there is a huge risk of loss to the lender.
Yes, all correct -- And that "lender risk" also includes having an item (a guitar in this case) that would be very difficult to repo. Can you imagine going to someone's house and saying, "I am here to take back that Les Paul Custom you stopped paying on ...". Ouch!

redking

Reaction score
Wow, you must be a magician! I've only ever once had a discount offered at McQuade. $100 off a brand new LP Standard I was interested in. I walked and was considering it, but it had sold by the time I returned. I wound up finding a NOS Traditional elsewhere that I still treasure.
I don't even think I asked for the discount - I must have called him on the right day!

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the Kingston store I was looking at a 2018 Orange Sunrise LP Classic (remember those?) and a 2019 SG Special in Vintage Sparkling Burgundy, both $1700. I asked which one can I get cheaper? One manager said they were already close to cost on the LP but the manager said he's knock $100 off the SG. So the SG came home with me.
I regularly get discounts on used gear.

KS 5150

Reaction score
In the Kingston store I was looking at a 2018 Orange Sunrise LP Classic (remember those?) and a 2019 SG Special in Vintage Sparkling Burgundy, both $1700. I asked which one can I get cheaper? One manager said they were already close to cost on the LP but the manager said he's knock $100 off the SG. So the SG came home with me.
I regularly get discounts on used gear.
I think they have a bit of leeway on used gear. New stuff, not so much. I was looking for a SG with sideways vibrola about 1 1/2 years ago. I was quoted the list price by L&M. I mentioned that I had found one in a different Canadian online store for about $300 less. I said I preferred to buy from them if they could move a bit on price. Their response? "Buy from the other guys" :facepalm: I wound up finding a used 2019 in perfect condition for about $600 less than their list, so it all worked out in the end.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they have a bit of leeway on used gear. New stuff, not so much. I was looking for a SG with sideways vibrola about 1 1/2 years ago. I was quoted the list price by L&M. I mentioned that I had found one in a different Canadian online store for about $300 less. I said I preferred to buy from them if they could move a bit on price. Their response? "Buy from the other guys" :facepalm: I wound up finding a used 2019 in perfect condition for about $600 less than their list, so it all worked out in the end.
I buy from them because they're close but I have no problem buying online for gear they don't carry or if I get a smoking deal on something they do carry. They have price matched on a few low cost things, and I've bought a lot of gear via store transfer. I have pages in their system of items I've bought. :laugh2:

KS 5150

Reaction score
I buy from them because they're close but I have no problem buying online for gear they don't carry or if I get a smoking deal on something they do carry. They have price matched on a few low cost things, and I've bought a lot of gear via store transfer. I have pages in their system of items I've bought. :laugh2:
I agree completely. They used to have great Attic sales and Black Friday deals, but no longer. I did score my 2018 Wolfgang Special for $699 CAD at the BF sale in 2019. Very lucky there.

redking

Reaction score
to be fair - you already were going to be buying it from them if you were going to buy it from another Canadian online store because Yorkville is the Gibson distributor for Canada, so if someone is gonna take a $300 hit, it might has well be their retail competitor. :rofl:

KS 5150

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess that's true. I swear tho that this really happened. It was an online competitor in eastern Canada that had the better price (with a discount percentage added at the Shopping Cart). I ultimately found the used one instead.

Thanks for the condescension tho....really made my Thursday...

redking

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess that's true. I swear tho that this really happened. It was an online competitor in eastern Canada that had the better price (with a discount percentage added at the Shopping Cart). I ultimately found the used one instead.

Thanks for the condescension tho....really made my Thursday...
I'm not being a smartass - but from a business perspective, they have little motivation to match the price because they have already sold that guitar to the other retailer as the distributor and made some money from it. Maybe if it was a different product line where both retailers were on even ground buying the same product from the same distributor it would have been a different story. But since they are already involved in the deal behind the scenes, I can see why they wouldn't match the price.

KS 5150

Reaction score
I'm not being a smartass - but from a business perspective, they have little motivation to match the price because they have already sold that guitar to the other retailer as the distributor and made some money from it. Maybe if it was a different product line where both retailers were on even ground buying the same product from the same distributor it would have been a different story. But since they are already involved in the deal behind the scenes, I can see why they wouldn't match the price.
Ok, I misunderstood you. Have a great day & weekend :)

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFAIK Fender doesn't use a distributor in Canada. Every retailer has to buy direct from Fender.
Prices are still homogenized, though.

Latest Threads