Wildwood Guitars - Negotiating With

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing a new Gibson Custom Shop guitar from Wildwood. What is their current negotiating posture off list price, and whom do you recommend that I speak with? Thanks!

Hecubus

Reaction score
Have you purchased from them before? I would call them and ask them about the specific guitar you are interested in. Build a relationship before just asking for a discount.

Dilver

Reaction score
For most guitars, including Gibson, there’s a ”street” price for retailers. Not list/MSRP. Shop around and see what best price you can get in writing and then see if Wildwood will match it. They may not. But you‘re more likely to get a discount if you’ve got a competitors offer in hand.

ChuckNOS

Reaction score
Call and ask...I've bought two custom shop guitars from Wildwood, 60th R9 and a ES-335 TD WW spec. The 335 about a month ago.

I simply asked for the best price and received a discounted price.

BTW, for the R9, CME quoted the same discount. I bought from WW because of the selection of R9s available at the time.

Saiko

Reaction score
I'll say this: Wildwood, Music Zoo, and Sweetwater are all incredible to deal with when buying from and I have received discounts off the listed price from each of them when buying in the past just by calling and having a conversation with their sales people. They were all knowledgeable, polite, and had top-notch customer service. They are the three big dealers I recommend without hesitation.

I agree with those who said to call them up and have a conversation about what you are looking for in a guitar and ask for the best price.

NJDevil

Reaction score
Not right now. They used to but i contacted them about a WW 50s LP Std for the same price i had bought x3 before. Said they couldent move a penny.
That would be my advice also. Yes, I had negotiated a good discount on a Roland Blues Cube amp back in May but I don't think those fly off the shelf so it really is a supply/demand model.

Current supply chain issues have scattered availability from a few to none for certain models and manufacturers' but I sometimes see break in patterns to where I cannot completely figure it out.......one example is PRS' Fiore model which was introduced almost a year ago but had little to none surface in store up to June of this year. I haven't checked in a month but the status on it consistently remained like many other guitar model: "Currently Out Of Stock".

Teles? Forget it and especially on models like the American Pro II. With so many models, you are bound to at least find a Telecaster but because of mass production from MIM to American and few MIJ, there will always be something. QC complaints about Teles are in high abundance also.

The point is that the stock is in short supply in n the guitar market and negotiating the price on something that is in short supply is an effort in futility. Could it hurt to try? No, but keep your expectations in check.

Last edited:

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've purchased two guitars from WW:

One was a 2017 Tribute T which was $899 new. I didn't ask for a deal and didn't get one. Great value nonetheless.

The other is a 2019 WW 50s Standard. I got one from a very early run of the first exclusives. I got $300 off the price by just calling and inquiring about the guitar. Didn't ask for a price drop or anything, it was just offered and I jumped on it. Sometimes it pays to pick up the phone and make human to human contact.

integra evan

Reaction score
Always helps to establish a relationship with a shop. A phone call can go a long way, don't be afraid to ask for a better deal, and don't get offended if they don't offer you a better deal at first. You can always say "ok, I really like the guitar, but let me think about it a little more." And then take it from there.

THAWK819

Reaction score
Wilcutt seems easy to work with too. My wife made a few calls to them when she got me my McCarty .594 and they ended up coming down about $700 from the original price in their listing.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
Not a Gibson, but when I was spec'ing out my custom Suhr, I contacted Wildwood for a quote. They basically quoted me the street price with zero discount .
I asked if they could wiggle down a bit, talked about payment terms, etc.. but they didn't change much

I ended up closing out with another dealer, who gave me $600 off the second best deal

lawrev

Reaction score
Have you purchased from them before? I would call them and ask them about the specific guitar you are interested in. Build a relationship before just asking for a discount.
No I haven't. I've watched their guitars for years, and of course via the Greg Koch videos. I grew up in Milwaukee, about 10 miles from where he lives. Back in the day, I knew of one of his bands - Greg Koch and the Tone Controls - but I don't think I saw him live.

danzego

Reaction score
You may have more luck if you’re paying up front and not financing, since they have to pay the finance company when it’s a zero interest loan. That goes for a lot of retailers.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I never had much luck with Wildwood. Daves and CME have always been good to discount. With the recent price increases, you may be able to get the price they charged in September :fingersx:

EXPLRGAB

Reaction score
I purchased an R8 and a 1965 deluxe reverb reissue from WILDWOOD...COMPLETELY HASSLE FREE and on target. Customer service was exceptional...shipping was excellent....I am completely satisfied and give WILDWOOD my highest endorsement....I am originally from Brooklyn, NY and everybody knows what a pain in the ass those people are. So there is that.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
depends on the guitar - they can sell those standard les pauls all day at list price so there may be less wiggle room

my brother got 18% off a dove acoustic from ww, ymmv

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I haven't bought a guitar in a while and don't know if it's still a seller's market, if it is, I wouldn't expect much of a discount or any at all.

I got a great deal on this M2M from WW in 2019, better price than even HOG quoted me, ask for Steve S. Years before, I did try WW a couple of times, not sure who, was always told no discount at all, and used to hate them for it.:laugh2:

Latest Threads