Wild story...Gun permit...I was assualted.

Sakamoto

Reaction score
Mule I'm glad to hear you are alright. I think you are making the right decision on getting protection.

Next time you may not be so lucky!

I've had one for about 10 years now and I've only had to pull it once. That was a situation very similar to your's. Young punks blocking the road, and after waiting a couple of minutes I blew the horn and motioned for them to move. A smart ass about 20 years old starts cursing me and as he is walking towards my vehicle he pulls a knife and shouts for me to get ready. I had already got ready before blowing the horn by setting my pistol in my lap. When he got about 10 feet from my Yukon I raised it up enough for him to see what he was up against and told him it would be a mistake to come any closer. Luckily he got the message and backed up so I didn't have to use it.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
According to the guys who have trained me, most gun fights are over in 2.5 seconds.

I've never seen surveillance video that supports this at all. Quite the opposite. Almost every video I've ever seen the fight lasts quite a long time. This may be that the wannabe thug is not an experienced shot, or he is hopped up on drugs, or both. Most of the time the magazines of both guns are nearly emptied prior to anyone getting hit, let alone killed. In fact, there are videos on YouTube where a doctor is training interns on how to treat trama patients. The doctor shows a surveillance video where a suspect is shot twice in the torso, and then runs away.

Regardless, pointing the business end of a gun at an attacker is all convincing it should take. Should the attacker not be immediately convinced, it won't take long to fill him full of holes.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I've never seen surveillance video that supports this at all. Quite the opposite. Almost every video I've ever seen the fight lasts quite a long time. This may be that the wannabe thug is not an experienced shot, or he is hopped up on drugs, or both. Most of the time the magazines of both guns are nearly emptied prior to anyone getting hit, let alone killed. In fact, there are videos on YouTube where a doctor is training interns on how to treat trama patients. The doctor shows a surveillance video where a suspect is shot twice in the torso, and then runs away.

Regardless, pointing the business end of a gun at an attacker is all convincing it should take. Should the attacker not be immediately convinced, it won't take long to fill him full of holes.

I don't know the statistics but, most civilians, involved in discharging their weapons in a life or death situation, do so in a "spray and pray" method, forgetting all of their training. It is incumbent upon the intelligent individual to embrace this fact and to do what he/she can to help move the odds into his/her favor (i.e. Remington Street sweeper, etc.). I like to keep a couple flash-bangs on me to give me an edge.

Shelbyblues

Reaction score
Sorry it happened and glad you're okay.

Without going into too much detail I was in almost the same situation many years ago. One main difference was I didn't get out of my car. Two cars blocked me in at an intersection late at night. When they walked up I rolled my window down a few inches and stuck the barrel of my 357 out and pulled back the hammer and said "you got a fvcking problem?"

I could almost smell the $hit running down their legs. Needless to say they left quicker than they came.

Had things escalated I would have had to make a decision in a millisecond.

I'm glad I didn't have to make that decision.

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. It's a good thing you know your limits. It is really scary and sad when someone who can't fight anymore keeps trying to and gets themselves hurt even worse.

I hope you never have to use your gun, but at least you'll have it if you ever do run into a situation like this again.

sonar1

Reaction score
I've never seen surveillance video that supports this at all...

Neither have I.

Perhaps they were referring to when some Police somewhere have drawn and fired, and averaged it. I just don't know what circumstances the institute instructors were describing. So far two years in a row at Frontsight in four day defensive handgun courses I have graduated from, 2.5 seconds has been their claim, for training purposes.

I had extensive weapons training in the military pre-deployment to Vietnam, in the late sixties.

Most of that training I have found insufficient for hand gun personal protection issues as described and taught today, for defensive pistol preparation on American streets and common building environments, etc.

I take the trainer's statements at face value, for training and preparation purposes only. It is only one way of looking at things, true enough.

Obviously there are a million possible scenarios, and it would take a long time for a firearms training institute to prepare clients for more than what they deem are the likely to be the most commonly faced circumstances a graduate from a basic course might face.

Obviously it is up to the student to use some imagination beyond the simple problems and solutions a two or four day course might introduce a new shooter with their first handgun to.

And as someone else has pointed out, I totally agree with the MOVING idea, and so does Gabe Suarez, who used to teach at FrontSight, but now has his own school that emphasizes moving in any self-defense scenario.

Gabe Suarez | HandgunWorld Podcast

http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/

FrontSight emphasizes moving and teaches after action drills as well in their 4-day courses, but it is in their more advanced tactical and skill builder courses where they give that a lot more attention than they can with 40 people standing in two sections on a firing line. It's just too populated to give it all the attention the subject deserves, in a more basic course.

You have to be a "Distinguished Graduate" of a lower course to take the tactical course. I missed "DG'ing" by five points this year (my second time at bat). Maybe next year...

...Meanwhile, IDPA competition dovetails in some ways with these training institute offerings. I enjoy some recreational/competitive shooting that emphasizes some of the same scenarios and skills, again: with greater variety.

http://www.idpa.com/

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had to go through this. They'll find them.

I have thought long and hard about CCW for security reasons. My problems is I'm afraid I'd off myself while stuck in bumper to bumper traffic full of assholes just end my misery ;)

I wouldn't use lethal force unless it was warranted. I confident in my fighting/self defense abilities and can handle 1 or 2 guys physically but after that some warning shots are going off, if they didnt heed the warning it aint gonna be pretty.

bildozr

Florida Man
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you shoot a gun in space does the bullet ever stop?

Nerp. Well depending on gravity, or lack there of. Are we talking about in orbit, or just floating in the void?

In fact you and the bullet would travel in opposite directions until you crash into something, or die of old age.

You baited me with physics. I ****in love physics.

TLI-Inferno

Reaction score
Nerp. Well depending on gravity, or lack there of. Are we talking about in orbit, or just floating in the void?

In fact you and the bullet would travel in opposite directions until you crash into something, or die of old age.

You baited me with physics. I ****in love physics.

Space is not a perfect vacuum; it does actually have a very, very slight amount of matter in it. The resistance applied by that "air" could eventually stop the bullet if it never came into contact with anything else, but it wouldn't happen anytime soon.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
Neither have I.

Perhaps they were referring to when some Police somewhere have drawn and fired, and averaged it. I just don't know what circumstances the institute instructors were describing. So far two years in a row at Frontsight in four day defensive handgun courses I have graduated from, 2.5 seconds has been their claim, for training purposes.

I had extensive weapons training in the military pre-deployment to Vietnam, in the late sixties.

Most of that training I have found insufficient for hand gun personal protection issues as described and taught today, for defensive pistol preparation on American streets and common building environments, etc.

I take the trainer's statements at face value, for training and preparation purposes only. It is only one way of looking at things, true enough.

Obviously there are a million possible scenarios, and it would take a long time for a firearms training institute to prepare clients for more than what they deem are the likely to be the most commonly faced circumstances a graduate from a basic course might face.

Obviously it is up to the student to use some imagination beyond the simple problems and solutions a two or four day course might introduce a new shooter with their first handgun to.

And as someone else has pointed out, I totally agree with the MOVING idea, and so does Gabe Suarez, who used to teach at FrontSight, but now has his own school that emphasizes moving in any self-defense scenario.

Gabe Suarez | HandgunWorld Podcast

Suarez International USA, Inc.

FrontSight emphasizes moving and teaches after action drills as well in their 4-day courses, but it is in their more advanced tactical and skill builder courses where they give that a lot more attention than they can with 40 people standing in two sections on a firing line. It's just too populated to give it all the attention the subject deserves, in a more basic course.

You have to be a "Distinguished Graduate" of a lower course to take the tactical course. I missed "DG'ing" by five points this year (my second time at bat). Maybe next year...

...Meanwhile, IDPA competition dovetails in some ways with these training institute offerings. I enjoy some recreational/competitive shooting that emphasizes some of the same scenarios and skills, again: with greater variety.

IDPA - Welcome!

Thanks for the links.

You know, I really like the idea of ALL citizens who purchase a firearm to take a safety course. Seems crazy that a license is required to go fishing, but when I bought my first handgun from a gun store I was walking out of the store in less than 15 minutes with the gun after I said I'd take it. No training. Not even a question of whether I knew how to use it. Just, "here you go."

Just yesterday a woman in FL shot and killed her daughter because she thought it was her boyfriend! She just opened the front door and fired at whoever was there. Shame.

Byron999

Reaction score
After they catch him, sue him as well, he'll have that hanging over his head for longer than any sentence served. Make him pay.....big.

Mule Train

Reaction score
I thought about that too Byron. He should at least pay the emergency room bill.

I've known the constable who will probably pick him up all my life. His dad was the chief of police when we were kids.

JOESHMOE

Reaction score
Glad you made it out of that f-ed up deal.

I never ever leave my front door with out a firearm.

I hope, I mean really hope I never have to use it, but its
a bit comforting to know its there.

Jimmy

Mule Train

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYHarHGILC4]oh man, what are you doing with a gun in space.mov - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads