Wild story...Gun permit...I was assualted.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
Get a Glock. There is no safety (other than the trigger safety). You don't want to be fumbling around when the adrenaline kicks in.

As an owner of multiple guns, a Glock would possibly be the absolute last firearm I would recommend to a novice or non-regular shooter like the OP. Even though they are popular guns in some circles, they are far from not having more than their fair share of problems, safety concerns, and controversies over the years.

I'd prefer and recommend a gun with a safety. If you can flick your thumb, you can use a gun with a safety with no problem, and no fumbling necessary. I have a couple of Beretta's and a Smith & Wesson that fire as well as I could ever want.

That being said, my Ruger LCP doesn't have a safety, but I wouldn't dream of carrying it with a live round in the chamber. I'd much rather rack it when needed. It only takes a second, and can be done when drawing the weapon.

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. It makes me sick when innocent people are harmed. Whatever gun you go with, make sure to fire at least 300 rounds before even thinking about carrying it.

Get a Glock. There is no safety (other than the trigger safety). You don't want to be fumbling around when the adrenaline kicks in.

As an owner of multiple guns, a Glock would possibly be the absolute last firearm I would recommend to a novice or non-regular shooter like the OP. Even though they are popular guns in some circles, they are far from not having more than their fair share of problems, safety concerns, and controversies over the years.

I'd prefer and recommend a gun with a safety. If you can flick your thumb, you can use a gun with a safety with no problem, and no fumbling necessary. I have a couple of Beretta's and a Smith & Wesson that fire as well as I could ever want.

That being said, my Ruger LCP doesn't have a safety, but I wouldn't dream of carrying it with a live round in the chamber. I'd much rather rack it when needed. It only takes a second, and can be done when drawing the weapon.

Good points

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Glocks have problems?

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you shoot a gun in space does the bullet ever stop?

DRF

Reaction score
I'm kinda 50/50 on this story, on one hand you could've shot the guy and would have that to deal with (that would be your split second call and whatever comes after) but fortunately it turned out that they didn't mean business. Don't get me wrong I hate scum like these kids and I get the whole gun deterrent thing and it could have gone the other way too.

One thing about a gun is - that I've always heard is don't point it at something or wave it around as a deterrent unless you are going to kill. Which means as soon as the kid opened the door and grabbed you, you shoot him. Maybe he'd see the gun and not even open the door, maybe he'd try to shoot you through the window if he had his own gun and was a hardened criminal, maybe...

Kenny Davidoff

Reaction score
I am a good shot with a rifle and have experience. I can't say the same about a handgun but still not terrible.

Glad to read that you're OK.

A thought on the concealed weapon. You must be prepared to use it if you're going to brandish it. Brandishing a firearm will either diffuse the situation or escalate things to a point of no return.

In my experience it's diffused the situation sans bodily injury but that's not always the case.

Just understand that things can and do go tragically wrong when firearms are introduced. You have the right to protect yourself; it's just knowing when to do so. Sadly these calculations have to be made in what seems to be milliseconds...

Mule Train

Reaction score
So true Kenny. Milliseconds. If it's him or me to live, I'm choosing me.

sonar1

Reaction score
...I wouldn't dream of carrying it with a live round in the chamber. I'd much rather rack it when needed. It only takes a second, and can be done when drawing the weapon.

According to the guys who have trained me, most gun fights are over in 2.5 seconds.

If you can't draw and fire in 1.5 seconds once you have decided you are in fear for your life, you will likely lose a gun fight if the perp is armed.

I'm not talking outdrawing another guy with a gun.

A man with a knife can close and mortally stab you from 21 feet away in 1.5 seconds.

If/when I carry, it's a 1911 .45ACP in condition one. My draw and fire sequence ranges from 1.39 - 1.62 seconds on the range, from condition one. It is perfectly safe to carry a 1911 design (in good working order, by test) with a round in the pipe and the hammer cocked - on safety.

As I said before, I do NOT want to get in a gun fight with another person, ever!

But if it goes down I also do not want to lose that fight.

A pistol is used to stop a fight. That is all. They are far inferior to rifles and shotguns. The ONLY advantage to pistols is that they can easily be carried (and/or easily concealed).

If I'm in my house my only use for a pistol is to fight my way to my rifle.

Again, no cowboy here. Just sharing information I have been privileged to receive from firearms institute instructors, many of whom have been LEO's, after long military careers, and some of whom now provide elite protective services in places like Las Vegas, and carry every day.

I believe them.

I don't have any "street cred," but they do - to my mind.

Sinster

Reaction score
According to the guys who have trained me, most gun fights are over in 2.5 seconds.

If you can't draw and fire in 1.5 seconds once you have decided you are in fear for your life, you will likely lose a gun fight if the perp is armed.

I'm not talking outdrawing another guy with a gun.

A man with a knife can close and mortally stab you from 21 feet away in 1.5 seconds.

If/when I carry, it's a 1911 .45ACP in condition one. My draw and fire sequence ranges from 1.39 - 1.62 seconds on the range, from condition one. It is perfectly safe to carry a 1911 design (in good working order, by test) with a round in the pipe and the hammer cocked - on safety.

This man speaks the truth.

By the way you can kind of simulate the 21'. Have a person with a marker stand 21' from you. You have a marker in your waist band. Have that person charge you at full tilt and don't draw into he hits the 21' mark. In the while he/she is swinging at you with the marker. If he/she leaves a mark you're dead.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
This man speaks the truth.

By the way you can kind of simulate the 21'. Have a person with a marker stand 21' from you. You have a marker in your waist band. Have that person charge you at full tilt and don't draw into he hits the 21' mark. In the while he/she is swinging at you with the marker. If he/she leaves a mark you're dead.

Is the gun-wielder allowed to move at all? 'Cause I'm sure not gonna wait with a plate of brownies while I'm pulling.

QuicksilverSS

Reaction score
Sorry you had to go through this Mule. These days it's sad that we need to carry arms to protect ourselves .. but if that's it takes... so be it.
When the thugs finally realize that everyday citizens are carrying protection .. then maybe the punks will think twice before trying to rough somebody up.

When guns are outlawed....only outlaws will have guns....

electric head

Just passing thru
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad your okay and let this be a lesson to everyone that this can happen to anyone,its no longer the other guy.The days of going through life happy go lucky are long gone.
I always try to be aware of my situation and who is around me pretty much all the time.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
Another +1 on the Glock. The G19 is a great start and practice ammo is cheaper.

And be sure to pay attention in the CCW class. Depending on your state, there can be gray areas in the law that you will need to give quite a bit of thought to. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And of course throw as much lead down range as you can.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You can get a Utah CHL for about $200. It's valid in 33 states and the course takes about 3-4 hours, no live fire required (like the FL CHL which is 8 hours).

Mule Train

Reaction score
I was reminded that they also have this punch thing going on now too. With the new gas money around and subsequent strangers from who knows where looking for jobs, this could also be the problem.

Mule Train

Reaction score
What is funny, back in the 90's when I got my first one, it was nothing. 25 bucks and you sat in a room with the sheriff for ten minutes. He let everybody go but me. He said it's ok just wanted to remind you to get that old mid 70's pot charge off your record as it could cause problems in the future. They found it and it was in Cleveland too!

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
You can get a Utah CHL for about $200. It's valid in 33 states and the course takes about 3-4 hours, no live fire required (like the FL CHL which is 8 hours).

In TX it's 8 hours, too. Including live fire. Thankful Ill only have to sit for 4 hrs when it's time for renewal.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I was assaulted last night while going to the store for milk. A truck was blocking the road so I waited for a minute or more. Then I yelled out the window "could you move your truck please. No answer. I flashed my high beams still nothing. It is at night and their head lights were on so I could not see in the truck. Now I'm curious, not angry in the least. I got out of the car to see if the truck was empty just sitting there. Then the truck started to back up a couple of feet then stopped. I was starting to go back to my car then I heard screaming. I turned and a young man got out of the truck and before I could say boo I was on the ground.

I am disabled and have a hard time walking and can't hold my ground or throw a punch. By then the other two were out of the truck but did nothing. They got back in and took off. I followed them, they were running away but I caught them to get the plate number. They stopped again, got out and started beating on my car trying to break the windows and mirrors. Saab Turbo no luck car intact. Then the young man, about twenty, opened my door and tried to pull me out. My dog then took over and they fled yelling "I got something in the truck for you.". I called 911 while I was following them. They ran red lights and stop sighns, I did not but still caught up with them again. I got the plate number and stopped following them as per advice from the 911 operator. I went to the hospital to get X-Rays of my back but it was ok, no further damage. Needless to say I am sore as hell today.

Now I am going to get my carry permit. I don't want to shoot anyone but I can not defend myself anymore. By state law when he was pulling me out of the car I could have shot him if I was carrying. If you can't defend yourself and advised them you are disabled, you can shoot the idiot being that you thought your life was in danger. Good thing I had my dog with me. As I see it he is a lucky man that he did not try this with someone else more aggressive or scared.

I am also going to get a shotgun for home protection but it will just have rock salt for ammo. Natch where I live in the sticks about everybody has a gun or ten and offering me one to take home. I refused, for now, as I have a 25 cal at home. I almost wanted to ask my neighbor if I could borrow his PPK but just because it is a PPK. I am a good shot with a rifle and have experience. I can't say the same about a handgun but still not terrible.

Glad to hear that you are alright. Scary scenario. Thank God you can still get a gun. Wait, am I allowed to say that?

I believe that swearing and excessive force should only be used when abso-f*ckinglutely necessary.

When more dirtbags come to grips with two facts: 1) putting someone in legitimate fear of their lives gives them the right to shorten yours, and 2) the probability of encountering an armed victim (outside of places like CA, NYC, MA, etc) are quite good (approximately 300 million guns in the USA)... they will all move to CA, NYC and MA where they know that their odds of surviving are greatly increased.

Latest Threads