Wild story...Gun permit...I was assualted.

Comanche

Reaction score
I glad you're alright. Please make sure you take a class and get some range time. A big can of bear pepper spray works also.
162805_lg.jpg

Mule Train

Reaction score
Thanks Blue good idea. My nephew is a state trooper I will talk to him about it also.

Sonar you are sooo correct. I may be able to use the police gallery I am thinking. They have a program still I believe.

I need to be more cautious. Just because it is a relatively peaceful area and I have never had a problem, well, it makes you think.

michaelinokc

Reaction score
That sucks. Glad you're okay. And as far as not wanting to shoot anyone, if you're ever in that situation again, perhaps pointing your firearm at someone would be enough. Remember, your gun is for protection, not retribution, so if they leave, it served it's purpose.

Mule Train

Reaction score
Yes, I will post when they catch them.

I had a Taurus snub nose 38 in the 90's and a carry permit, but I was living in a tough neighborhood then. I liked it a lot. I sold it while going through a divorce.

sonar1

Reaction score
Thanks Blue good idea. My nephew is a state trooper I will talk to him about it also.

Sonar you are sooo correct. I may be able to use the police gallery I am thinking. They have a program still I believe.

I need to be more cautious. Just because it is a relatively peaceful area and I have never had a problem, well, it makes you think.

Times have changed.

In more and more areas it is jail culture being acted out on the streets, and gangs in are control of more and more areas. The cops cannot protect you. Their job is to show up after and process the crime scene. Then try to solve the case in the aftermath. In many areas that's all they are willing (or required by the SCOTUS) to do.

I live in a very benign area too. Plus, I am not allowed to carry concealed in this area.

But there are a lot of areas in this country where I can carry, and sometimes do.

Sometimes it's OK to feel like a first class citizen. I don't play around with these issues. It's not a game. It's a huge responsibility to own a gun in today's society.

But there is also an idea that it is better to have a gun and not need it, than need a gun and not have one.

I live accordingly, and keep aware of my situations. The best way to prevail in a potential gunfight situation is to NEVER GET IN ONE!

There is mental preparedness that goes with the whole commitment to acquiring a gun for personal defense, and many legal aspects that demand study too, no matter where you live (if you're going to keep a gun for defensive purposes).

I have taken a vow of non-violence (many years ago, now). I do not walk around like a cowboy, looking for trouble: quite the opposite. I leave the area when or if I sense trouble, and have a well developed guano detector. However I will defend my self or loved ones if need be. I hope it never comes to that, but I stay trained as much as practicable. Then I just go about my business, staying aware of what's going on around me or in situations close by.

Username2

Reaction score
No one should ever go though that, ever. Really glad you're okay, and we hope that they will be arrested and taken into court.

winexprt

Reaction score
Jesus H. Christ what a scary story! Glad you're relatively unharmed.

Great thing your dog was there to scare him off, otherwise this most likely would've ended differently.

+1 on the carry permit. Once they try and pull you out of the car ALL BETS ARE OFF.

SheffPaul

Reaction score
I pretty much sit on the fence with regards to gun ownership and I can see both sides of the argument. But I have to say, if I personally went through something like that, I would absolutely be wanting to carry a gun for protection. An experience like that can suddenly bring your views into sharp focus.
Glad you are OK and hope not too shaken.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The cops ever catch them/follow up with you?

Mule Train

Reaction score
The police said as soon as they get him they will let me know. I will have to go to his hearing.

I am going into town now to speak/visit my family to discuss this matter.

Thanks again all for your posts.

Arzachel

Reaction score
... or. it might have kept him in his vehicle.

Neither you nor I will know.

seems counterintuitive that you are less likely to advance towards a hostile situation if you are armed

no I know we won't know

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Shocked that this discussion has not gone off the rails with the pro 2A vs gun control crowd.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
seems counterintuitive that you are less likely to advance towards a hostile situation if you are armed

no I know we won't know

Looking down a barrel might have kept them from opening his door, is my point.

But we'll never know. It's pretty easy to Monday-morning-quarterback this kind of stuff, right?

Skintaster

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Glad you're ok Mule... That's some scary shit.

If you get a handgun and CCL, practice a lot.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
@sonar: most excellent post, sir. :thumb:

@Mule Train: I'm sorry to hear that you had to deal with something like this, but am most happy to hear that nothing incredibly harmful to you came of it.

As for the CCW: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Meanwhile, there ain't no cure for death, and some of these assholes really will kill you either intentionally or by way of happenstance.

Another consideration is this: most criminals tend to be opportunists of the most disgusting type. That is, there are many who look primarily for an easy score and an obviously handicapped person, smaller women, and the elderly tend to be their preferred prey. As you are at such a disadvantage, it's not really a bad idea to have something on hand just in case you attract the attention of such jackals as you met with in this incident.

Take care and stay safe. Hope the cops grab these guys, but unless you are able to identify them to the police and are willing to testify to that effect, they might very well skate on this one.

--R

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. It makes me sick when innocent people are harmed. Whatever gun you go with, make sure to fire at least 300 rounds before even thinking about carrying it.

Get a Glock. There is no safety (other than the trigger safety). You don't want to be fumbling around when the adrenaline kicks in.

ZoomZilla

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you're okay. It makes me sick when innocent people are harmed. Whatever gun you go with, make sure to fire at least 300 rounds before even thinking about carrying it.

Get a Glock. There is no safety (other than the trigger safety). You don't want to be fumbling around when the adrenaline kicks in.

+1 Glock's rule.

Arzachel

Reaction score
Looking down a barrel might have kept them from opening his door, is my point.

But we'll never know. It's pretty easy to Monday-morning-quarterback this kind of stuff, right?

ahhh the question mark cast like a baited hook, yes hindsight yes got it

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Im in the same situation you are, im disabled, and fighting
is not an option.

Really sorry you had to go through that, i got robbed three times
when i lived in Hollywood at gunpoint and beat up in 81. Back then
i was too broke to even aford a gun

Latest Threads