wife's 1 in 1 out policy resolved

El Pablo

Reaction score
I don't spend any amount on gear that I wouldn't want my wife to spend on her interests - and likewise she doesn't either. If we have enough money, we'll splurge a little. If funds are low, we save up. We don't even have to talk about it. Keeps the marriage simple.

Congrats Matt on the trade up!

LP Traditional

Reaction score
I our family we (Me and my wife.) share our income and expenses equally.
After all is paid for we are left with our spending money.
Then we do as we please with our money.

Why doesn't everybody do it like this?
It is the most fair and logical way I think.

Oh! It is my first and only wife.
Been together since 1985.

Jim Klein

Reaction score
one wife in, one wife out. seems like good solid policy to me.

cgm

Reaction score
I don't spend any amount on gear that I wouldn't want my wife to spend on her interests - and likewise she doesn't either. If we have enough money, we'll splurge a little. If funds are low, we save up. We don't even have to talk about it. Keeps the marriage simple.

Congrats Matt on the trade up!
Yup... sometimes, it has nothing to do with being the "strong" one, or the one wearing the pants. Some of us need to budget money, and have little left over after the bills are paid. Being a big boy means that sometimes you need to make big boy decisions that you might not like as you consider the other people who are affected.

ant_riv

Reaction score
They say in every marriage, one person 'marries up' and I am proud to say that is me.

She is kind, carrying and considerate and encourages my hobbies. Second marriage for both and we appreciate being best friends.

I would need to stop to count the number of guitars she has bought me or encouraged me to get in our 11+ years together.

I definitely appreciate the blessing of sharing my life with her each day!

ARandall

Reaction score
And that would be the wimpy mans (or womans) fault for allowing that.
I know of plenty of people so scared of being alone that they'll put up with a lot of things. Some can't stand up for themselves - a partner is domineering, and they go with the flow to avoid conflict etc etc.

But certainly it is a necessary thing to command your own space in a relationship and not let someone else do it. How many times do I hear the guys I ride MTB with saying they have a 'leave pass' for the day/weekend.....honestly.

Callaway

Reaction score
Never set a base amount number for them to fix on to to begin with, never take them to a guitar store now this works two ways you can never ever again piss and moan when they free lance shop on their own. Keep a couple extra empty beat to shit cases just sitting around to bring the new catch of the day home in and if ask use the tried and true and what has been used on us for decades.........what this old thing I've had it for years.....LOL

Shortscale

Premium Member
Reaction score
No love for vintage models? Still, just telling the old one to leave is not cost-free...

Jeremiah

The Worst
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love the shoe argument. If your wife can afford 2600 shoes, it likely isn't going to be an issue buying your guitars.

Most people's wives don't spend that on shoes, yet they try to justify their 3k guitar by saying their wives bought some 200 dollar pair of shoes. Get your heads out of your asses...

babatube

Reaction score
Marriage is only temporary, guitars last forever.
or until an angry wife kills them...

my lady bought me a les paul and a marshall cab.

she is not replaceable...

the les paul i mean...;)

my wife is great she don't care for me buying gear but she gives a good financial advice wherever i want to buy a piece of gear i will never use.

Stinky Kitty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Guitars will get you through times of no women better than women will get you through times of no guitars.

So What

Reaction score
Tomorrow 5/19, is my 24th anniversary.

In the beginning, my wife used to be very controlling over everything. Money spent needed to be for the "family", ie. something she deemed worthy.

I ended up having to hide, or at least undervalue, any purchases I made for myself.

About 8 years ago, she decided the kids were old enough to start her career. She has done well.

When she went to work, we finally had the opportunity to have separate accounts for ourselves, and one for family purchases.

Things have been much better since then.

She doesn't care what I spend out of my account, nor do I care what she spends.

Separate accounts solve a lot of problems.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm up to 55 guitars in and out of the house in the last 3 years. I wore her out long ago. Now she just ignores the deliveries.

She hated the ibanez I just got. Said it was a girls guitar. Lol

Latest Threads