Why would someone buy a fake GIBSON ?

WhatDoIKnow

Reaction score
Someone getting scammed down the road is what worries me. The victim may not know for years.

Biddlin

Reaction score
I've got a Ferrari Dino body on a Pontiac Fiero frame with a 350 aluminum block Corvette LT-1 motor. I put a real "Ferrari" trim piece on the back. The owners of the real ones know mine is fake when I blow past them on US 50 going up to Tahoe and again on CA 49 on the way home.
Oh, I can hear my radio, too.
Let Henry J. ponder such questions. He should.

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
If you want a quality instrument built by hard working USA citizens or legal residents buy a Gibson.

If you think it's a good idea to send more of your hard earned US$ overseas to a scumbag company trying to illegally profit off of a legitimate, reputable business then go right ahead.

By the way, Izzy was the rock and roll genius of Guns N' Roses.

djw171

Reaction score
Actually it is in many jurisdictions as they violate trademark and copyright.

And since you are in Ontario, counterfeit goods are illegal here:

CNE raid collects $1M worth of counterfeit goods - Toronto - CBC News

That story is counterfeit goods being sold at the CNE. Buying one from China where the money is exchanged in China is different. If you bought one had it shipped and then sold it to someone within Canada, then yes it is illegal, but even then if you declared at the time of sale its a fake or replica..is it still illegal? These goods in the story were trying to be passed off as the real deal.

I've seen a few, LP's and strats, on Kijiji. They all state they are fakes. They never get pulled by kijiji.

I'm not saying it's right for one minute, I dont have one nor intend buying one. Every comment I've made is purely an observation from youtube and forum chats.

djw171

Reaction score
Just out of interest to throw something else into the pot.... if there was a video on Youtube of someone who bought a Les Paul copy built in China but it didnt say the words Gibson or Les Paul Model on the headstock..are we all fine with that? yet it would be a blatant fake / copy? If so, we are are just talking about a sticker on the headstock? You know the quaility is not going to be as good as the real deal (many a post on youtube state that fact). If you have no intention of trying to re-sell and rip someone off..

BluesRock

Reaction score
There are also people that wouldn't know the difference between a Les Paul and a Martin, and don't even realize there is counterfeit guitar industry out there. Whether they are brand new to guitars or maybe they are buying a guitar as a gift for someone. I can easily see those people buying fakes.

skysc

Reaction score
Just out of interest to throw something else into the pot.... if there was a video on Youtube of someone who bought a Les Paul copy built in China but it didnt say the words Gibson or Les Paul Model on the headstock..are we all fine with that? yet it would be a blatant fake / copy? If so, we are are just talking about a sticker on the headstock? You know the quaility is not going to be as good as the real deal (many a post on youtube state that fact). If you have no intention of trying to re-sell and rip someone off..

well thats what agile and epiphone and other are there for !!! sending 350 $ in china and take a guess to receive a piece of junk with the gibson name on it is far more stupid that buying a real epiphone where you can try it .

we all know that these chinese copy are closer to epiphone than gibson . so why not just buy a epiphone . you get to try it and have a legitimate product .

Even if you buy a fake Gibson .. would you take the guess to tell people its true ????

someone -" hey nice Gibson guitar .. how much are these worth

guy with fake : "2700 $ "

someone -" shit thats expensive "

some other guys : "dude its a fake gibson , the bridge is imported , the fret nibs are not theres , the logo and tuners are off .. blah blah blah "

at one point .. if its fake .. you have to tell people its fake or take the chance of being a idiot who got ripped off of 2000 $ .

-

MineGoes211

Reaction score
what an arsehole you are!!!! Steve is a great guy and a great player. don't make stupid threatening comments about someone you dont even know. What he chooses to purchase is his own business. He never passes them off as real, or brags about them per se, explains all the flaws and often mods them to his own liking. He states many times he will not pay big money for guitars. Some of those videos have over 20,000 views so there is some interest out there in what he is saying!
Sure buying illegal counterfeit Gibsons is just fine. He does brag about it. He also purchases fake Ibanezes (though I have no idea why). He must get a thrill out of doing something wrong and getting away with it. His playing is average at most.

The_Nuge

Reaction score
I've got a Ferrari Dino body on a Pontiac Fiero frame with a 350 aluminum block Corvette LT-1 motor. I put a real "Ferrari" trim piece on the back. The owners of the real ones know mine is fake when I blow past them on US 50 going up to Tahoe and again on CA 49 on the way home.
Oh, I can hear my radio, too.
Let Henry J. ponder such questions. He should.

Why?

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
That story is counterfeit goods being sold at the CNE. Buying one from China where the money is exchanged in China is different.

No, it isn't. Counterfeit goods are illegal here.

If you bought one had it shipped and then sold it to someone within Canada, then yes it is illegal, but even then if you declared at the time of sale its a fake or replica..is it still illegal?

Yes because the guitar would violate trademark and copyright.

I've seen a few, LP's and strats, on Kijiji. They all state they are fakes. They never get pulled by kijiji.

That is Kijiji's problem. And for the record, I have seen fakes pulled and some of us here have been instrumental in having them pulled (there are threads about it).

martin H

Reaction score
Hell - "copies" were all over the place in the 70's. I had an Ibanez "les paul" in high school. I assume one reason people buy Chinese fakes for the same reason we bought the copies - becaue they can't afford the real thing, but want the cahcet of having something that looks like a Gibson Then only real problem to me is the trademark violation. The Ibanez was clearly an Ibanez These Chinese things creep into the market, and after changing hands get sold as genuine. The only fraud I was committing with my 74 Ibanez copy was trying to look cooler or wealthier than I was.

WhatDoIKnow

Reaction score
Maybe brand C-H-I-N-A deep into the back of the headstock right between the tuners.

Sure it would upset some people, but it may prevent someone from getting scammed down the road.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Because you can put actives in them and make them sound awesome for cheap:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFPqDxzz5LU]Seymour Duncan Blackouts for Metal - YouTube[/ame]

martin H

Reaction score
No, it isn't. Counterfeit goods are illegal here.

Yes because the guitar would violate trademark and copyright.

Sort of....That's a very tricky question under the Lanham act and the criminal "trafficking" stautes. It's been a while since I've done any of this, but as I remember:

The distribution trafficking or sale of counterfeit goods is generally prohibited by criminal staute, 18 U.S.C. 2320. This can net you a jail sentence. The Chinese Gibsons are counterfeits. The importation of counterfeit goods is generally prohibited as part of the criminal trafficking statutes.

However these criminal penalties are almost never enforced against individuals with a single instrument because the the courts have held intermittently that importing or selling one item is not sufficient for a traffiking charge.

This does not mean that the seller of a Chinese counterfeit can get off scott free. The law is much harder on the used of "counterfeit marks" than on "infringment. " Knowing sale of a single counterfeit can lead to statutory civil penalties of "not less than $1,000 or more than $200,000 per counterfeit mark per type of goods or services sold, offered for sale, or distributed, as the court considers just."

The manufacture and distribution of infringing goods ( e.g a Les paul shaped instrument made by Ibanez in the 70s with "Ibanez "on the headstock) is different. It is not per se , "lllegal" e.g. criminally prohibited, but subjects you to civil liability if the trademark owner seeks an injunction and/or damages.

Companies almost never sue individuals for selling a single "infringing" instrument becaue damages are limited to (1) defendant's profits, (2) any damages sustained by the plaintiff, and (3) the costs of the action. Profits on a used instrumet may be zero. it's really hard to show harm by the sale of an Ibanez copy, and costs does not include attorney fees

Rather like booze and prohibition, the possession of counterfiet goods, (unless accompanied by an intent to sell or distribute,) is not illegal,and not actionable civilly

The suitaution is (technically) that you can own your Chinese fake and break no law unless you try and sell it. There is also a lot of doubt if the individual seller is subject to criminal liability if they sell only a single instrument, as the quantity may not be sufficent to constitute trafficking. The individual seller is much more likely to be sued for fraud!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In ref to martin H, I don't think playing an Ibanez lester fraudulent no more than playing a Burny, Tokai, etc. It said Ibanez on it, not Gibson. A Craftsman wrench looks pretty much like a SnapOn but it says Craftsman.

I worked at a shop way back when Ibanez copied everything on the market. Some of the Ibby copies would stand up against the brand names and surpass a lot of them.... They all said Ibanez though. That is a major difference in my book as compared to fake Gibson logos etc...

Some folks are hung up on brand names and the "prestige" of such as has been mentioned. Some folks are just not comfortable in their own skin I would say. I would also say 99% of the popcorn munchers wouldn't know a Les Paul from a fire plug so just who is getting fooled by a fake? I think it is the fake buyers fooling themselves... I don't get worked up over brand names. Some do, hence the fake market.

I guess it is personal thing. I don't buy fakes. I don't give a damn if my shirt has a polo player on it either. I am just as comfortable playing my Indo Hamer as one of my big brand guitars... Brands don't make it play/sound any better. One of the best sounding/playing guitars I've run across was a cheap ass dull brown Westbury a band mate played primarily years back. He left his others at home (orig Hamers from hell, Lesters, C's, J's, etc., 35 of em, all high dollar) I don't remember anyone ever asking him why he didn't play an SG instead of the Westbury....

dspelman

Reaction score
Wall decoration?
Thief bait?

I think this is a genius use for these. I've often thought of putting these up as they do at the Hollywood GC or in some of the Hard Rocks, in plex cases with photos and what looks like authentic memorabilia. As wall art, they'd be perfect.

And if a burglar breaks in and gets occupied with pulling these off the wall, maybe he'll miss the stacks of scruffy looking cases stuffed away elsewhere.

djw171

Reaction score
That is Kijiji's problem. And for the record, I have seen fakes pulled and some of us here have been instrumental in having them pulled (there are threads about it).

watch out the mylespaul forum police are out!

MineGoes211

Reaction score
That guys language is amazing. Slimy. He rambles on and on. I appreciate working hard and earning a Gibson Les Paul. Some people seem to think they are entitled to one without working hard for it. That guy looks like he could afford a real one.