Why would someone buy a fake GIBSON ?

ARandall

Reaction score
Let me make sure I have this right: A cheap one is a "fake' and a high-end one is a "replica"?
Sorry, fake is fake.
Nope - its using synonyms to express the intent......but then subtlety is often lost on some people.
Fake or counterfeit indicates a scam or intention to deceive using cheap or substandard parts. Replica is most often used where the item is handmade using traditional materials. Not even Gibson can use these now.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Another reason, out of complete ignorance that there is such a thing as a fake Gibson.

EvLectric

Reaction score
Nope - its using synonyms to express the intent......but then subtlety is often lost on some people.
Fake or counterfeit indicates a scam or intention to deceive using cheap or substandard parts. Replica is most often used where the item is handmade using traditional materials. Not even Gibson can use these now.

What he said is my feelings on it. But yeah technically they're all fakes. But intent makes a HUGE difference!
The name on the headstock doesn't affect me in the least. I play my Burny much more than I play my Gibby.
And skysc I'm just messing with you man. It just seemed odd. :)

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Just because it's fake doesn't necessarily mean it's bad...I mean, someone pointed out Slash already. He had three. Whether they were built by skilled luthiers or cheap, Chinese laborers is besides the point. They're still fake. And his tone on those guitars is one of the most sought after tones EVER.

Some people buy them because they can't afford a real Gibson but having something that has the name on it gives them a bit of the happiness associated with it. Kind of in the same sense as how I've tried to make my alpine white Studio look like Randy Rhoads' Custom best I can because I can't afford the real thing. It looks a lot like the way I want it to, but it's still a Studio -- if that makes any sense. Nevertheless, I do get more enjoyment looking at it now compared to before the upgrades I made.

Others just like to fool other people, whether it be for status, money, or whatever else. You have to remember that if you're on this forum, chances are you possess more knowledge about Gibson guitars than probably 95% of the people out there. Most people can't tell the difference between an Epiphone & a Gibson Les Paul, let alone the Chinese replicas down to even better quality makers like Agile. So it's no surprise so many of these are sold -- most people probably don't even know what they have isn't the real deal!

Static

Reaction score
I received a China PRS Santana knock-off as a gift. I have no qualms about it at all. I do not claim to anyone that it's a real PRS, and I would never sell it. I told my wife that if I die she is to give it back to my buddy.

It's a very decent guitar, it plays well and stays in tune - I use it all the time for practice, saving the wear and tear on my Gibson LP. I might even pony up for some quality pick-ups for it. The fit and finish is really good, but the hardware is not top shelf.

It's a tool, not a collectors item. There a number of things in my toolbox from China, you can't get away from it...

Frogfur

Reaction score
Guess I missed the point as stated above. That's usually where humor interjected in just the right spot benefits us all.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
to be a poser or to make profit by selling it as a real Les Paul.

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
Everybody thinks they can get a free lunch. The bottom line is that if the fake costs $400, and it's selling on the basis of the Gibson name, then it's not a $400 guitar. That's why these fakes are among the worst of the worst in terms of quality. If a company was selling the guitar under its own name, it would have to be a lot better to be worth $400.

It's not just worse than a Gibson. It's worse than a little-known brand guitar that costs the same.

Edit: for a contrasting example, my Japanese Tokai LP retails for around $1,500. They can charge that, even though it doesn't have the Gibson name, because of fanatical devotion to quality. Gibson is able to charge $3,000 for a similar guitar (an R8 plaintop) because people want that name or have a fondness for the company. So that name totally substitutes for quality when it comes to these fakes.

Guitar_Zero

Reaction score
You'd be surprised at the amount of people that would buy the fake over an Epi purely as the fake has a Gibson logo. To some, it's all about image, and whilst having a fake Gibson might not be great for the image, how many people are actually going to know it's fake other than the owner?

UEF

Reaction score
Some people just want something that looks mostly like a real Les Paul with a Gibson logo on it. Functionally, swapping the pickups and setting up one of these guitars can get you pretty much "there" in a lot of peoples eyes, and you haven't just dropped $2000 for the privilege.

In a way it proves to Gibson that they could probably do what they do for a lot less money too. The guitars coming out of Korea these days are amazing - they should make them there.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Let me preface this with saying I do not and would not buy a fake Gibson...

People earn their money, I don't care if they're CEOs of multibillion dollar corporations or selling oranges at a freeway exit. I'll be damned if someone else is going to tell us what we can do with our money. My wife and I worked too hard to get it.

Now here comes a thread like this that's telling people just that. If I wanted a fake Gibson, I'd buy one, and your shitty thread wouldn't make one bit of difference.

djw171

Reaction score
Some people just dont accept the prices that Gibson charge, or rather the stores are made to charge to make their profit. Gibson seem to increase their prices quite a lot these days. Dont get me wrong, as I've stated before I love Gibsons and own a few but each to their own. As Jeremiah says people can spend money on what they want. It's not illiegal to buy them.

djw171

Reaction score
Check out the Jabba the Hut looking guy on Youtube bragging about his fake Gibson purchases..." Hey hey hey, what ups dudes?" I'd like to slap him.

what an arsehole you are!!!! Steve is a great guy and a great player. don't make stupid threatening comments about someone you dont even know. What he chooses to purchase is his own business. He never passes them off as real, or brags about them per se, explains all the flaws and often mods them to his own liking. He states many times he will not pay big money for guitars. Some of those videos have over 20,000 views so there is some interest out there in what he is saying!

djw171

Reaction score
Some people just want something that looks mostly like a real Les Paul with a Gibson logo on it. Functionally, swapping the pickups and setting up one of these guitars can get you pretty much "there" in a lot of peoples eyes, and you haven't just dropped $2000 for the privilege.

In a way it proves to Gibson that they could probably do what they do for a lot less money too. The guitars coming out of Korea these days are amazing - they should make them there.

The new Epiphone Tribute+ are excellent guitars and great value for money with the hard shell case. Coming out of China from a Quality Controlled factory, with Gibson 57 Classic pups fitted as standard. Compare these to some of the lower end Gibsons of late and the quality of the Epis smokes them.

kasu

Reaction score
i wrote ive seen cause people at work decided to try a fake Ipad ... it was horrible ... the screen was wavew and look like it was a commodore 64 cpu inside .

i never buy counterfeit usually .. cause i know it will probably be junk . but that doesnt mean i havent seen any . some people try to see if that can rival to the original ... usually its horrible .

"i never buy counterfeit usually"

How do you usually never do something? :D

Sorry...couldnt resist. Rock on...:dude:

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
People buy them because:

A) They cannot afford a real Gibson but want to look like they can. They will boast about it and how much a Gibson costs to their non guitar playing friends so that they can look cool.

B) They think they are smarter than everyone else and that they can get a guitar that is as good as a Gibson for 1/4 of the price that the rest of us paid for our real ones.

C) They think they can turn around and sell it as a real Gibson thereby making a profit off of some poor gullible buyer who thinks they are finally getting the Gibson that they have always dreamed of owning (some of those will also think that they are such awesome buyers that they got the deal of the century when, in fact, the got fvcked over).

skysc

Reaction score
Some people just dont accept the prices that Gibson charge, or rather the stores are made to charge to make their profit. Gibson seem to increase their prices quite a lot these days. Dont get me wrong, as I've stated before I love Gibsons and own a few but each to their own. As Jeremiah says people can spend money on what they want. It's not illiegal to buy them.

OK .. just a thought ..

If you dont like the price that a company charge for their guitars .. it mean you probably don't like the company at all for ripping off people !!!.. they why would you still want their name on your guitar ? YOu know gibson is a big corporate brand and their guitar are very expensive . if you think gibson rip off people .. dont buy their product .. BUt dont buy a fake product with their name on it either .

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
Some people just dont accept the prices that Gibson charge, or rather the stores are made to charge to make their profit.

Tough shit for them. If they don't like the price there are other guitars they can buy - but counterfeits should not be an option.

It's not illiegal to buy them.

Actually it is in many jurisdictions as they violate trademark and copyright.

And since you are in Ontario, counterfeit goods are illegal here:

CNE raid collects $1M worth of counterfeit goods - Toronto - CBC News

Let me preface this with saying I do not and would not buy a fake Gibson...

People earn their money, I don't care if they're CEOs of multibillion dollar corporations or selling oranges at a freeway exit. I'll be damned if someone else is going to tell us what we can do with our money. My wife and I worked too hard to get it.

Now here comes a thread like this that's telling people just that. If I wanted a fake Gibson, I'd buy one, and your shitty thread wouldn't make one bit of difference.

So the fact that counterfeit goods are illegal doesn't matter to you?

Latest Threads