Why would someone buy a fake GIBSON ?

skysc

Reaction score
I'm just trying to understand what would be the point of a fake chinese GIBSON . If you wanna add some points i might not understand , feel free .

- The chinese copy are clearly not Gibson , you can see the finish being a poly ( most of the time overuse like all korean / china guitars ) and the binding have no nibs etc... ... so basically we can all agree that the chinese copy are closer to Epiphone than Gibson ... so why not just buy a Epiphone on craiglist or a store ... at least you can try it before buying it for nearly the same money as a fake gibson .

- You order from a warehouse in china and give 350 $ basically in the dark expecting a product in return . If the product is defective ... how much would it cost to send it back to china ( IF they would take it back ) . Id rather make business from a company like AGILE ( rondo music ) who are legit and are in the u.s . I once had problem with marks all over the fretboard on a Agile 3010 ... i contact the rondomusic .. they gave me an RA and UPS pick it up and send me another one .. all free of charge . Would the chinese counterfeiter have that kind of return policy ? i doubt ... they dont run a legitimate business .. theyre probably hidden somwhere in a warehouse .

So my point is im not discussing if american made is better than chinese made .. im just thinking that a legitimate business in china probably put out of the factory better quality control and better product that counterfeit item .

So buyers of FAKE gibson are buying because the headstock says GIBSON ??? is there a prestige in owning a "GIBSON" ? more than another brand ? gibson have 600 $ guitar .. theres no prestige in owning a gibson guitar .

if i have 350 $ to put on a guitar .. id get a epiphone or agile or another brand before sending 350 $ in the dark in china and expect something in return . the factory could be raid tomorrow and you lose your 350 $ . Call me crazy for paying 1800 for a Gibson at least im sure i have a product in return .

*** everything counterfeit ive seen yet was far from the quality of the original .. IPHONE , , ipad , wireless mouse , nfl jerseys .. everything was crap . the real iphone is made in china and so his the counterfeit .. but its night and day difference . the NHL red jerseys were turning pink after one wash , horrible . Counterfeit product are always junk .. why would it be different for guitar ??

D-POLAND

Reaction score
google cheapskates are us!
there will always be someone looking for something for nothing!!

who was it, that said there is a sucker born every second!?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The same reason someone would buy a fake Rolex...

RichBrew

Reaction score
A counterfeiter with a return policy? That would be interesting. There is a certain cachet with owning a Gibson, but anybody knowingly buying a fake has "loser" written all over them. On top of that, they are illegal.

RichBrew

Frogfur

Reaction score
More than likely, they can't afford Gibson's prices but want a Gibson style guitar. Perhaps they are not as well off as the original poster.

Playing guitar is not about what's on the headstock. Give Clapton a Epiphone Les Paul and listen to that boy go!
Music is about fun, about accomplishment, discovery and personal enjoyment. NOT about Gibson, Fender, PRS or any other maker out there.

But, don't worry, you've got the rest of your life to figure that all out.
Best of luck..

MineGoes211

Reaction score
Check out the Jabba the Hut looking guy on Youtube bragging about his fake Gibson purchases..." Hey hey hey, what ups dudes?" I'd like to slap him.

azzapeel

Reaction score
I would rather have an legitimate epiphone, than a fake Gibson.

djw171

Reaction score
A counterfeiter with a return policy? That would be interesting. There is a certain cachet with owning a Gibson, but anybody knowingly buying a fake has "loser" written all over them. On top of that, they are illegal.

RichBrew

There is a guy on Youtube in the UK who has posted a lot of videos on these. He does state that he buys them for the purpose of the videos only. He had one that was damaged and the supplier sent him another replacement.
I do not condone buying a fake, nor do I own one, however I do not believe it is illiegal to buy one from China and have it imported. It is illegal however to try and sell it and pass it on as real. Personally I'd have one of the Epiphone Tribute + that come with Gibson pickups fitted.

skysc

Reaction score
I would rather have an legitimate epiphone, than a fake Gibson.

thats exactly my point .

thats why im trying to understand why would someone buy a fake . at one point .. you have to tell people its not a real gibson anyway ­.. or looked like a fool when a connaisseur would put it in your face . So your doomed anyway .. might as well buy an epiphone or agile and have a legitimate product .

frofur: "More than likely, they can't afford Gibson's prices but want a Gibson style guitar "

isnt what Epiphone and other Les paul type guitar are there for ???

funny thing is that people who owns these fake cause they usually cant afford a real end up with 3-4 of these ... the price of one legitimate .

EvLectric

Reaction score
More than likely, they can't afford Gibson's prices but want a Gibson style guitar. Perhaps they are not as well off as the original poster.

I don't know, but I don't think op's stating he thinks it's stupid to buy a fake as much as he's looking for affirmation TO buy one. Okay, check this out:

everything counterfeit ive seen yet was far from the quality of the original .. IPHONE , , ipad , wireless mouse , nfl jerseys .. everything was crap . the real iphone is made in china and so his the counterfeit .. but its night and day difference . the NHL red jerseys were turning pink after one wash , horrible . Counterfeit product are always junk .. why would it be different for guitar ??

So, yes I've seen a few, 3 to be exact, fake Gibson/Epiphones (i've also seen 3 high end replicas). Now,I play for a living, for 42 years now. I have seen thousands of guitars. Yeah, I know there's LOTS of fakes out there, but it sure looks to me that the op's had a whole lotta fake sh!t in his hands to be random. I mean, I've never seen a fake iphone, let alone an ipad, nhl jersey, etc...

How can he afford a real Gibson? He's been buying cheap counterfeit stuff!
Sorry. Just an observation. Carry on. :)

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
The one's I've seen will set you back $400.00 or so with shipping. You can get a nice Epi for that used, and it will be better made and likely sound better. And you can sell it without ripping someone off downstream. So I'm with you - why buy a bad copy. If you really want to save some $$ there are plenty of Gibson style copies out there that don't say Gibson on the headstock. But for someone that doesn't know a lot about guitars and just wants something that says Gibson on it I guess that's what they will go for. Given that China does not recognize copyright, trademark or intellectual property laws it's not likely to end any time soon...

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
So, yes I've seen a few, 3 to be exact, fake Gibson/Epiphones (i've also seen 3 high end replicas).

Let me make sure I have this right: A cheap one is a "fake' and a high-end one is a "replica"?
Sorry, fake is fake.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score

Playing guitar is not about what's on the headstock. Give Clapton a Epiphone Les Paul and listen to that boy go!
Music is about fun, about accomplishment, discovery and personal enjoyment. NOT about Gibson, Fender, PRS or any other maker out there.

But, don't worry, you've got the rest of your life to figure that all out.
Best of luck..

Judging by the first paragraph alone you COMPLETELY missed the point. Is an Epiphone not in the style of a Les Paul?

Anyway, I think for the most part people want a guitar that says Gibson on it, but they don't want to pay for it. Simple as that. I mean, they can't understand it's not about the name on the headstock it's about the player.

I would definitely consider Agile as an alternative, or even Epiphone.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Let me make sure I have this right: A cheap one is a "fake' and a high-end one is a "replica"?
Sorry, fake is fake.

I cannot speak for Ev, but the way I see it, a replica has the builder's name on the headstock of a guitar every bit as good as -- if not better than -- a Gibson; a counterfeit, no matter how good or bad, has "Gibson" on the headstock as a fiction.

It's not the quality that determines the nomenclature, but rather, the deceit or lack thereof involved.

skysc

Reaction score
I don't know, but I don't think op's stating he thinks it's stupid to buy a fake as much as he's looking for affirmation TO buy one. Okay, check this out:

So, yes I've seen a few, 3 to be exact, fake Gibson/Epiphones (i've also seen 3 high end replicas). Now,I play for a living, for 42 years now. I have seen thousands of guitars. Yeah, I know there's LOTS of fakes out there, but it sure looks to me that the op's had a whole lotta fake sh!t in his hands to be random. I mean, I've never seen a fake iphone, let alone an ipad, nhl jersey, etc...

How can he afford a real Gibson? He's been buying cheap counterfeit stuff!
Sorry. Just an observation. Carry on. :)

i wrote ive seen cause people at work decided to try a fake Ipad ... it was horrible ... the screen was wavew and look like it was a commodore 64 cpu inside .

same for NHL jerseys .... the real reebok are like 285 $ .... so they wanted to try the 30 $ chinese one ... horrible too .. bad sewing and wash it once it was nearly pink instead of red .

same for wireless mouse a girl at work bought 2 for 10 $ ... the springs inside were broken and couldnt click the the overall look feel was horrible .

i never buy counterfeit usually .. cause i know it will probably be junk . but that doesnt mean i havent seen any . some people try to see if that can rival to the original ... usually its horrible .

the fake iphone cant even fit canadian/u.s sim card .. so they are useless .

the fake Samsung galaxy charger overheat like crazy and it take 12 hour to charge a phone vs 2 hour for the original .

in the end .. buy the real stuff ... youll save money .

buy an epiphone or agile instead of a fake gibson .

Latest Threads