WHY the hate for baked maple?

NRBQ

Reaction score
I hate baked maple because it called me fat when we were kids during lunch at school. I don't have to put up with that kind of shit from baked maple now. Who's laughing now baked maple!

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Seems like there's more butthurt over the fact that some people aren't excited about baked maple than there is over the baked maple itself.

I don't think you're paying much attention, then. There's plenty here who act as if baked maple is the Mark of Cain.

bufbills

Reaction score
I don't think you're paying much attention, then. There's plenty here who act as if baked maple is the Mark of Cain.

Yea. Thats the only reason that I chime in on these threads. I really dont care who likes, or doesn't like my guitars. The only one who has to like them is me. When I see the misinformation about looks and tone of BM, I chime in with pics, or my two cents on the feel and sound etc.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
If someone doesn't like it, that's their business, but if they're gonna be telling kids to avoid it, they should bring experience with it to the table.

Spaceacex

Reaction score
Yeah, it's such a huge visual sore.:rolleyes:

There is hardly a difference in aesthetics or tone. I'm willing to bet you have never played, or even seen one in person.

I've seen and played a few with baked maple. Plays fine, no problem there. But I'm not going to blame someone for not liking the look of the wood. IMO a Les Paul with a light board looks wrong. God forbid anyone wants to be visually pleased with their purchase.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be happy about the playability AND look of a guitar.

Spaceacex

Reaction score
This is after oil.

ccob.jpg

If they all looked like this then life woud be peachy :laugh2:

I wouldn't have a complaint at all with a board like that. Problem is a lot of em are too light. But again the few i've played were more than fine.

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
because most guitar players are traditionalists and hate change

bufbills

Reaction score
I've seen and played a few with baked maple. Plays fine, no problem there. But I'm not going to blame someone for not liking the look of the wood. IMO a Les Paul with a light board looks wrong. God forbid anyone wants to be visually pleased with their purchase.

Nothing wrong with wanting to be happy about the playability AND look of a guitar.

I absolutely agree with you. I personally havnt seen many light colored BM boards. I own two, both are dark. The pic I posted of mine in this thread is very dark. I posted one right out of the box, and one after I oiled it this morning.I dare say the color somewhere between RW and Ebony.

Edit: You posted while I was typing.

bufbills

Reaction score
because most guitar players are traditionalists and hate change

I actually think that is a good reason. I feel this way about chambering. I own a chambered guitar and it sounds and plays great, but like some other Les paul players, I prefer a 9lb, ton of bricks, of a guitar.(wish I could afford an old 11 lb custom to be honest) I think chambering is a much bigger deal than board material, but I dont dismiss chambered Les Pauls, as inferior, or not real Les pauls as some here have done with BM boarded Les Pauls.

By the way Brit, Im loving the old Dirty Fingers. You were so right about that pickup. Trying to find another at that price isnt easy though.

HenryHill

Reaction score
No matter where you stand on this issue, having a new LP or SG with a BM fretboard for sale now or into the near future will be met with shyness among a fair number of potential buyers for sometime into the foreseeable future.

It is the stigma of the new material; whether or not it is better or worse, there will be people who opt to look at 2010 and older ones, a lot of people, and this would be the case whether the Lasey Controversy came up at this time or not. Throw in the Lasey deal, and people have their dander up for a lot of reasons, emotional or practical, it makes no difference, but the stigma is there.

It is fear of change and it's gonna take some time before the stigma goes away.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I have nothing against BM, but with that said I would prefer rosewood on my Gibsons. I've seen some BM examples that look and feel great, and I've seen some that look and feel strange. I would probably buy a guitar with BM if was the right guitar - but I wouldn't seek one out.

Jim

Banned
Reaction score
So basically, the consensus is that it's mainly aesthetic, and if all boards looked like the examples above we'd be done here?

Latest Threads