WHY the hate for baked maple?

tampa898

Reaction score
Change is not a bad thing. No hate here. If we stuck with tradition we would still be driving model "T" s in any color you want, as long as it's black.

Burst Boy

Reaction score
The problem is so many people are closed-minded. I selected a BM SG over a bunch of Rosewood SGs simply because it had the edge over the rest tonally and playability wise.

It’s a bonus the BM looks cool and matches the Natural Burst finish very well.

mlconnell

Reaction score
I love the baked maple fingerboard so far. My other axes have ebony and rosewood and I love Ebony. The Baked Maple is so much like Ebony. It's very snappy like Ebony. I love it. Setup with some 11-50's your good to go.
Just my 2 cents.

SonicBlur

Reaction score
I love my Classic Custom with baked maple but I don't like these threads made simply to stir the pot...

Lysol

Reaction score
I would prefer richlite on my neck any day. I have an aversion to maple of all types on necks. I'm even replacing the Maple necks on my Fenders to Mahogany because I hate maple necks (And fretboards) so much.

Neil(UK)

Reaction score
It's just a tradition thing really.

I am all for tradition and vintage type specs but I also understand that new greener materials are often the way forward.

With my playing I doubt I could tell the difference anyway. :laugh2:

bufbills

Reaction score
No hate here. Im happy with all of my boards. A Rosewood, one Ebony an two Baked maple. Th BMs feel and sound great. Very similar to my Ebony board. Whatever though.
These threads are getting old. I wonder if the haters could really tell the difference in some sound clips. Its raining here today, so I might put something together so we can see.

Edit: I guess Unless I have the same pickups for all of my guitars this would be useless. Bad idea I suppose.

Latearrival

Reaction score
I like Rosewood (which is a dark wood) on my LPs, and I like Maple (which is a light wood) on my Strats.

What I don't like is a light wood which has been burned slightly to make it look dark! I would rather a proper (raw!) maple board than a scorched one pretending to be something it isn't

Gibson have found the perfect compromise with their two-piece Rosewood fretboard!

In five year's time, nobody will remember BM fretboards!

Murfdog

Reaction score
The idea of a non traditional wood is just a turnoff to people who are used to traditional woods (ebony and rosewood). Not to mention if you are like me you think the baked maple looks horrible on a LP...... :shock:

Yeah, it's such a huge visual sore.:rolleyes:

There is hardly a difference in aesthetics or tone. I'm willing to bet you have never played, or even seen one in person.

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
I love my baked maple board. I love the dark color. I've owned too many LPs with washed out looking light rosewood boards. Pay no attention to the haters, most of the people on the forums would have to sell a kidney to afford a new LP Std. anyway.

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
Part of it is purely down to change and 'messing with the formula'.

Part of it is the change in look.

Part of it is anger at Gibson being the only company to mess up its ebony/rosewood orders and then switching to alternate materials percieved as cheaper but not dropping the price.

(notice how I didn't mention change in tone :))

budg

Reaction score
I like Rosewood (which is a dark wood) on my LPs, and I like Maple (which is a light wood) on my Strats.

What I don't like is a light wood which has been burned slightly to make it look dark! I would rather a proper (raw!) maple board than a scorched one pretending to be something it isn't

Gibson have found the perfect compromise with their two-piece Rosewood fretboard!

In five year's time, nobody will remember BM fretboards!
Actually the good rosewood is more reddish than dark(at least the good stuff like on my 335) .They do dye it to make it look more like Brazillian though. In 5 years if BM is forgotten its because they have a better alternative , not neccessarily because they can use Indian rosewood again.

marc1kim

Reaction score
Part of it is purely down to change and 'messing with the formula'.

Part of it is the change in look.

Part of it is anger at Gibson being the only company to mess up its ebony/rosewood orders and then switching to alternate materials percieved as cheaper but not dropping the price.

(notice how I didn't mention change in tone :))

all good reasons:D

Latearrival

Reaction score
Actually the good rosewood is more reddish than dark(at least the good stuff like on my 335) .They do dye it to make it look more like Brazillian though. In 5 years if BM is forgotten its because they have a better alternative , not neccessarily because they can use Indian rosewood again.

Of course they can use Indian Rosewood - as long as they laminate it!

Reaction score
Gentlemen, you forget: the Platinum Ears live among us, possessing aural powers far beyond the understanding of mortal beings. They can hear the inferior tone of baked maple. They can hear the degraded tone of multiple piece backs. They can hear the very shapes of weight relief holes. They can hear the gold tips on their cables. They can hear what they want to hear.

Those of us who hear only what reality allows us to hear must not criticize or even question the PEs. If we do, we'll never hear the end of it.

Latearrival

Reaction score
Gentlemen, you forget: the Platinum Ears live among us, possessing aural powers far beyond the understanding of mortal beings. They can hear the inferior tone of baked maple. They can hear the degraded tone of multiple piece backs. They can hear the very shapes of weight relief holes. They can hear the gold tips on their cables. They can hear what they want to hear.

Those of us who hear only what reality allows us to hear must not criticize or even question the PEs. If we do, we'll never hear the end of it.

S'funny - I don't remember reading anyone on this thread saying that they don't like BM because it sounds different...

But on the other hand, if you can't hear the difference between a weight-relieved guitar and a chambered one, I suggest you get your ears checked!

Latest Threads