Why? Stop remaking movies just to gender swap the roles

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
Remakes have always been there. The difference is that now, the old versions don't seem very long ago.

Think about this - in the 70s to 90s there were remakes of many movies from the old Hollywood era, and many of the originals were in black and white. The remakes appeared "new" because the originals looked so old, but were only 30 or 40 years older. The remakes benefited from modern technology and special effects.

But now in the 2010s there are movies from the 70s to 90s being remade but the originals don't seem so old, because they were in color and had modern production values and special effects, yet they are similarly 30 or 40 years old.

But gender swapping for the sake of it is just retarded and adds nothing to a story. Its just tokenism. But with Battlestar Galactica it was a complete re-imagining, not just a pointless gender swap. If anything that does WAY more for the advancement of women than a gender swap, because the BG writers saw that in their re-imagined universe, Starbuck could be a woman and the audience went with it, thereby normalizing the idea that women can be strong, kickass characters in their own right.

Also, the reason we are seeing so many comic book adaptions is that the technology can finally handle it. Aside from Superman and Batman, most pre-2000 comic book adaptions have sucked balls. But now, the special effects technology is finally there to do it properly, so the studios are going ape**** over it.

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
Well heck... after the roaring financial success of Ghostbusters 2016 I can understand why Hollywood is so keen on doing these gender swap reboots...

Oh, wait..

Cheers

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
I read that Marvel was going to "gender swap" Thor, of all things, with Jane picking up the hammer. WTF.

Done a while ago.

Thor is female and now iron man is a black college aged woman as well.

On a less note, electro from Spider-Man is also a woman now as well.

335eye

Reaction score
Don't mind believable gender swapping. Iron man? Nah! Dirty rotten scoundrels? Yeah that fits (lol).

Shred Astaire

Reaction score
Well heck... after the roaring financial success of Ghostbusters 2016 I can understand why Hollywood is so keen on doing these gender swap reboots...

Oh, wait..

Cheers

GB 2016 made 229 million in the theaters. That's really not terrible.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the contrary. Nowadays, if it's not some marvel comic franchise and reboot that'll make billions in the oversea market, it won't get greenlit anymore. Regardless, you guys still worrying and whining over jack s***

criticizing the criticizer as being equal to the thing being criticized. now that's lame. :D

I hoid wimmens just gots the right to vote!

Not that I mind some pot stirring from time to time, but are you having a bad day or something? A bit confrontational as of late. :hmm:

Really? That medieval mindsets shouldn't be poked fun at? That certain things are allowed to voice with impunity without a rebuttal?

Some folks with the shoe on the other foot when it'd serve them would say when you post a thread on an open forum such things are part of the territory. Don't be hypocritical. :)

Don't want blowback, respect the rules on blatant political postings

Really? If this don't get locked I'll eat my chihuahua

Troll is troll is troll.

Go away, troll. Find somewhere else to post. And don't troll.

pnuggett

Reaction score
How about putting out a bunch of movies that not only reverse gender but also race? Could be entertaining.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
How about putting out a bunch of movies that not only reverse gender but also race? Could be entertaining.

I wonder how that would work with 10 Years a Slave or Glory or The Color Purple or Roots or Django Unchained?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wonder how that would work with 10 Years a Slave or Glory or The Color Purple or Roots or Django Unchained?

Awefully, and would get mass movements against their production. Many would take those as belittling the actual events, making light of etc

foxtrot

Reaction score
They should start remaking movies that looked promising and had a lot of potential but ending up flopping.

For example, Catwoman was pretty horrible. If someone made a really great film out of that, that could be awesome.

I was pretty excited for Sucker Punch back when that came out, but that was pretty disappointing too. Too cheesy and it had so much potential!

EDS1275

Banned
Reaction score
I was pretty excited for Sucker Punch back when that came out, but that was pretty disappointing too. Too cheesy and it had so much potential!

I liked sucker punch actually...but.. I had to watch it again later cuz I fell asleep the foist time. I'm getting old, lol

Tone deaf

Reaction score
They should start remaking movies that looked promising and had a lot of potential but ending up flopping.

For example, Catwoman was pretty horrible. If someone made a really great film out of that, that could be awesome.

Flight of the Intruder is a great book and a horrible movie. It should be remade, just not with actresses.

foxtrot

Reaction score
I liked sucker punch actually...but.. I had to watch it again later cuz I fell asleep the foist time. I'm getting old, lol

Part of me likes Sucker Punch, and I do like what they did with it stylistically, but I was just hoping for so much more I guess!

Troy is another movie that might be worth a remake. I liked the 2004 film, but it could have been better. Maybe part of my disappointment came from some of the inaccurate portrayals of characters like Hector and Paris and some other stuff.

Heck, Brad Pitt could maybe even still pull off Achilles in a remake.

Last edited:

Fiat Lux

Reaction score
GB 2016 made 229 million in the theaters. That's really not terrible.

Not terrible, no...

But it was a huge financial flop. Didn't make back its money, even after video/digital, video game and merch sales.

Sony did their lunch on that gender swap dog...

Cheers

Latest Threads