Why? Stop remaking movies just to gender swap the roles

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unrelated to the topic, but I'm convinced Tom Selleck was just born middle-aged and has looked like that all his life. The man never seems to age. He may have been born with the moustache as well.

Him and Morgan Freeman.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vote with your wallet. As well, there are movies not made by Hollywood. Why not explore independent cinema where (IMO) the really good movies are made? Or watch foreign films?

+1

There are also plenty of good Netflix exclusive shows, HBO shows, etc that are much better.

jdto

Pretend Human
Reaction score
There are so many stories, books and movies that are retellings of previous tales that I'm not sure anything is truly original. That said, if they are well done, I don't mind. A shot-for-shot remake seems a bit dumb, but retelling the story through a different director is OK with me. If it looks bad, then I just won't watch it.

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was actually a remake. I remember folk saying that it was better than the original.

Some remakes are better, depends on what they change in the storyline or how the actors comes across.

I would have thought you would be happy Cyber, this time the women are portrayed as the con artists ;)

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels was actually a remake. I remember folk saying that it was better than the original.

Some remakes are better, depends on what they change in the storyline or how the actors comes across.

I would have thought you would be happy Cyber, this time the women are portrayed as the con artists ;)
But that means they will be out conned by the man they are conning, making them the lesser cons. Still sending nen are evil msg :D

Yes, it was a remake, and yes better. I just dont think hathaway and the other will be anything but as good at best. Therefore its being made forcwhat appears to be one reason. Maybe they can bring it current, i suppose.

And that is definately the case for the oceans thing. Cloonys already made it contemporary. So, then only thing left is its just wuth women.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
BSG was limited, it added something. It wasn't an agenda driven entire cast gimic.

Heck they completely redid the Ceylon race

+! on Carpenters The Thing. I'd also say the remake of "The Fly" was great as well.

I wouldn't mind seeing that, more of that. I.E. Movies made when the technology wasn't there to fully realize the story. Not that that's the case with The Thing, or The Fly.

PLETHORA of options there.

I like the Kirk based Star Trek movie remakes as well. But, they are also well done.

Star Trek is a perfect example. Kirk was a man, Picard was a chick. Old version awesome, next generation retarded.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I can't wait for The Incredible Hulkess.

It's ready for a script. There better be at least one decent Hulk movie before they do this one.

418bf1ce1437adeeb5d0352fcd92b1d2_l.jpg

Jimmi

Reaction score
Signs of how disconnected Hollywood has become from many of its customers.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Signs of how disconnected Hollywood has become from many of its customers.

Only when they fail. But Girl Power is on the come up and it's everywhere. All the new Disney movies are strong female leads and funny male supporting roles, who are more akin to dogs, loyally following their cutely quirky-but-resolute female alphas. Damsels in distress are long gone, because surprise!! It's the young moms who take the kids to movies and buy the dvds.
It's not social engineering, its business people doing what business people will do. My younger boy loved frozen when he was a little younger, like 4-5. Now he's 6 and hates it, but will watch it if it's on. :) So it has no effect on the target audience, whether it's male or female in the lead, as long as both make their respective groups feel good about themselves.
Some remakes will be flops, others will succeed. The producers probably don't usually give a **** about the social aspects of it, but I bet there are those that do. My wife is a strong female lead, and more often than I should, I feel like I really wish I'd known that at the time. ;)
But that's another story....

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is too busy being awesome to have time for Girl Power.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
lǎo​wài;8070745 said:
Speaks volumes about the status quo. It's all so clear now.

B- But the new Ghostbusters was totally awesome.

Purple is for the weak!!

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
On the contrary. Nowadays, if it's not some marvel comic franchise and reboot that'll make billions in the oversea market, it won't get greenlit anymore. Regardless, you guys still worrying and whining over jack s***

I read that Marvel was going to "gender swap" Thor, of all things, with Jane picking up the hammer. WTF.

Latest Threads