WHY so little love for the early 2000 LP Elegant

West 8th ST NyC

Reaction score
I just sold my 01 elegant , it was nice but thin sounding....i never heard anyone oh or ahhh over them like the reissues ....Whats your opinion as to why they fell thru the cracks ?

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
Was just thinking about this. Ditto for Class 5 Les Pauls. I feel like these were a shot at the PRS McCarty and a decent alternative. I think the two biggest reasons are: 1) Gibson never got close to as good at PRS in top selection, multi-step top finishing, and tasteful selection of colors, and 2) they're at a price point where buyers are usually looking for either vintage or fully-custom specs and instead they were typical modern specs.

The current McCarty 594 tries hard to get a lot of correct vintage Gibson specs in materials, pickups, etc. I feel like there could be a market for Gibson to compete with an updated LP Elegant but with Reissue hardware, carve, and electronics. But WTF do I know.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me I’d rather have an ultima or Supreme…
elegants were/are cool but priced kinda rich for my blood…unless we are talking the aforementioned models

they are cool…but price overlap made me almost forget they existed

-chris

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
For me I’d rather have an ultima or Supreme…
elegants were/are cool but priced kinda rich for my blood…unless we are talking the aforementioned models

they are cool…but price overlap made me almost forget they existed

-chris
To me the Ultima is a bit too much of a good thing... getting more into the PRS Dragon aesthetic. The Supreme is cool if you're into Custom instead of Standard aesthetics.

I like the overall Standard color scheme and aesthetics of the Elegant, but they just didn't quite hit the mark.

This 1959 I think is exactly what they need to do but in more colors. Maybe lose the poker chip to show off a touch more wood https://reverb.com/item/47038977-20...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
stfypsepycrcgys5voil.jpeg

Deftone

Reaction score
I used to test drive a natural finish Les Paul Elegant at Guitar Showcase all the time. I absolutely loved that thing.

sumitagarwal

Reaction score
People are picky about their LP's. It think Elegants were chambered so that wasn't as widely accepted as your R0. IMHO.
Oh yea, that's a big factor right there. If they're going through the trouble of picking out top quality maple tops, they should pick out lightweight backs and skip the chambering at that price.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me the Ultima is a bit too much of a good thing... getting more into the PRS Dragon aesthetic. The Supreme is cool if you're into Custom instead of Standard aesthetics.

I like the overall Standard color scheme and aesthetics of the Elegant, but they just didn't quite hit the mark.

This 1959 I think is exactly what they need to do but in more colors. Maybe lose the poker chip to show off a touch more wood https://reverb.com/item/47038977-20...-Shop_unpaid&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
View attachment 588285

yeah, I haven’t found the right one

this one has me quite tempted…if tesla can get Berlin and austin factories opened and producing at 50%+ by Q3 I will get it…if still for sale

Latest Threads