Why shouln't i buy a chinese made amp?

notoperational

Reaction score
When did I say anything about a "management" job? Restaurants need proper management too.

A friend of mine is a manager of a Taco Bell, with a two-year business degree. She does all right, has a nice car, her own place, full benefits.. etc. You have to start somewhere.

Jason

Reaction score
School was not for me. In high school I saw the education system for what it was: a series of hoops to jump through... designed to separate people into different classes. I know a lot of people realize that and it doesn't affect them... but I just couldn't muster up enough "give a shit" once I figured out what it really was. I aced all my tests and still failed classes, so I knew for sure it wasn't about actually learning stuff or being smart... it was about learning a life of doing what you're told.

I tried college a couple of times but the same attitude ate me up and I couldn't keep with it. Formal education just isn't for me, I've got the wrong brain for it.

notoperational

Reaction score
what area are you studying in?

Music Education/Jazz performance. I am shooting to get my masters so I can teach on a college level.

I may also stick around my community college for a couple more semesters before I go on to a university. I am maybe a years worth of classes short of a computer-information-systems degree, which can be a pretty prosperous field. I really hated it, which is why I switched to something that I like, but if I wanted to I could have a degree in that shortly, as well as my other.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....However, that doesn't bring money INTO the country. You need manufacturing for that.

:thumb:

Music Education/Jazz performance. I am shooting to get my masters so I can teach on a college level....

Kudos to you, Brett, for continuing your education; I wish I had more schoolin'. Suppose you get a degree, and become a teacher; who are you going to teach, if no one can afford to go to school, because their parents are laid off?

notoperational

Reaction score
Feel free to slam my aspirations for being a teacher all you want. But, a professor at a college... Makes bank, has benefits and its something that I love to do.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Feel free to slam my aspirations for being a teacher all you want. But, a professor at a college... Makes bank, has benefits and its something that I love to do.

Not slammin'....just sayin'....you know college professors get laid off in hard times, too, don't ya?

notoperational

Reaction score
i hope youre only really referring to the "assembly line same thing day in and day out" type of worker. i for one am in favor of the more blue collar type hard work and most of the time you dont need degrees for them (they are more apprenticeship learn on the job type things) i watched a special on americans building navy destroyers. they are factory workers and they seem pleased with their work. its amazing of what is done by hand there and not by robots. not to totally blow you off brett but i think your use of manufacturing has to be defined a bit.

anyway to get back on track....
lately i refuse to buy non american speakers (WHS and eminence are good examples and are on par if not better than chinese made celestions (eminence also uses USA made parts as much as possible, i think i read it in their tonereport)) i just, by off chance, bought a vht amp and cab (usa made) because i like their sound. even small things like t-shirts i try to buy USA threads. IMHO they fit,wear, and feel better and dont really cost more than an out of country made shirt.

i think the point of this is not to solely blame china but to expose how they are violating trade laws.

That kind of stuff is different than what I am talking about. I guarantee those guys making those ships weren't just picked up off the street. I'm talking like, getting a job at True Mfg putting bolts in refrigerators on an assembly line.

notoperational

Reaction score
School was not for me. In high school I saw the education system for what it was: a series of hoops to jump through... designed to separate people into different classes. I know a lot of people realize that and it doesn't affect them... but I just couldn't muster up enough "give a shit" once I figured out what it really was. I aced all my tests and still failed classes, so I knew for sure it wasn't about actually learning stuff or being smart... it was about learning a life of doing what you're told.

I tried college a couple of times but the same attitude ate me up and I couldn't keep with it. Formal education just isn't for me, I've got the wrong brain for it.

There is a book at my community college full of 6 month to a year long programs that can land you a pretty decent job. OSHA training, etc stuff like that. You don't always need a long, full-fledged degree. These aren't really classes, but more like on-site job training for jobs that you can't just apply and get. No homework, professors (or hot co-eds :( ).

I think if you find a way to separate yourself from the general workforce you'll always have a better chance at getting a decent job.

Jason

Reaction score
Not slammin'....just sayin'....you know college professors get laid off in hard times, too, don't ya?

Yes, and if you continue to buy products from China (instead of product that are made out of products from China), then nobody in America will want to learn music anymore. :laugh2:

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
....I think if you find a way to separate yourself from the general workforce you'll always have a better chance at getting a decent job.

That's just it....a 'chance', not a guarantee. There are hundreds of thousands of degreed individuals out of work right now.

Yes, and....nobody in America will want to learn music anymore. :laugh2:

What the heck does that even mean, and how does it relate to the current topic at hand?

notoperational

Reaction score

It is part of life. I know you ain't slamming me brother. :)

There is a lot of stuff you can do with a jazz performance degree besides teaching though. If it happened, I would just try something else.

Jason

Reaction score
What the heck does that even mean, and how does it relate to the current topic at hand?

Your argument is that Brett's job as a music instructor could be in jeopardy if people don't stop buying things from China.

VoxRaven

Reaction score
Brett, if there is no manufacturing, where are the degreed persons going to work? McDonalds?

There will always be manufacturing, it's just whether people will be doing it or machines. Big manufacturing companies are just moving factories to third-world countries to cut costs and increase profit. People are just naturally greedy. Plus, over there in Asia, i don't think they have unions over there. When the unions started forming up, american workers started asking for more and more money. They just kept on pushing and pushing for higher amounts of money for the same quality of work. No offense but if the workers could actually justify their pay raise with a rise in quality of work then I believe most products today would be american.

notoperational

Reaction score
Yes, and if you continue to buy products from China (instead of product that are made out of products from China), then nobody in America will want to learn music anymore. :laugh2:

I'm a trendy little shit, I have American Apparel shirts (made in America, not because they are MIA, but because they are nice shirts). I just bought an Orange 4x12 cab. People from Orange USA got a good chunk of change.

My next music related purchases will be USA (maybe British/USA haha :) ) stuff.

Not that I am militant about it, but music wise... I buy American. But generally speaking when it comes to guitar/music related stuff, American or British stuff is way better, which is why I do.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Your argument is that Brett's job as a music instructor could be in jeopardy if people don't stop buying things from China.

He doesn't even have that job yet, and the economy is in such a sad state that any future job he may get is in jeopardy. My job is in jeopardy, as is yours, and everyone else's.
You guys just keep making excuses, and keep buying imported crap. When you lose your job, don't come crying about it here.
You dipsticks just don't get it. I'm done with you guys.

notoperational

Reaction score
Also, I will say this.

I don't care what any of you think. Me going to school right now and earning a degree, is going to help me be successful. End of discussion. If you think it don't matter, you are WRONG.

notoperational

Reaction score
He doesn't even have that job yet, and the economy is in such a sad state that any future job he may get is in jeopardy. My job is in jeopardy, as is yours, and everyone else's.
You guys just keep making excuses, and keep buying imported crap. When you lose your job, don't come crying about it here.

I get what your saying.

Jason

Reaction score
There will always be manufacturing, it's just whether people will be doing it or machines. Big manufacturing companies are just moving factories to third-world countries to cut costs and increase profit. People are just naturally greedy. Plus, over there in Asia, i don't think they have unions over there. When the unions started forming up, american workers started asking for more and more money. They just kept on pushing and pushing for higher amounts of money for the same quality of work. No offense but if the workers could actually justify their pay raise with a rise in quality of work then I believe most products today would be american.

Good point about the unions. I hadn't even thought about that. The difference in pay between union and non-union shops is still INCREDIBLE. I worked in a non-union shop building coaches for awhile and I could have been making almost as much money doing yard work... and this was skilled fabricating labor I was providing! They got years worth of training for free out of me. A friend of mine was recently doing the same type of fabricating, making nearly three times as much as I was. Wages are really out of whack in this country.

Jason

Reaction score

Oh, I get it. I understand exactly what you're saying, and I used to think the same thing. After further thought, however, I no longer agree with that position. Even if I still DID think the inexpensive goods from China were the biggest threat to our economy, there's no way I believe that boycotting their goods is going to even make a dent in what's happening.

Jason

Reaction score
I'm sorry if you feel like this got nasty Dennis, I was mostly just trying to be funny. You haven't pissed me off at all... though that other character did get on my nerves with a certain post. No hard feelings toward you on this end Dennis.

Latest Threads