Why PRS Silver Sky guitars will never feel or play like a genuine Fender Strat

5F6-A

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Silver Sky guitar is brilliant. Sounds good, plays great, lots of attention to detail....
However, the length of string behind the nut will affect how the guitar feels as very well explained in this video.

Have a look at both headstocks:
head comp.JPG

Apart from the low E, all the rest of the strings are way off. Nothing wrong with the PRS headstock but it will not feel like a regular (i.e. not reversed) Fender Strat. Subtle but real.
In effect, the effect on feel will be as follows. On the left, string number. On the right difference in feel.

Capture.JPG

I have no PRS Silver Sky at hand so my point has not been empirically proven although it would make sense.
What do you think?

Last edited:

hbucker

Reaction score
If they'd made it more to Fender spec, they'd just be another Fender knock-off. This, and it's a signature guitar. I expect any signature guitar to offer something completely unique in order to be as special as the signature implies.

Unlike Fender who seems to make signature Strats with anywhere from minor to almost moderate changes to their existing platform, PRS is a completely separate company with their own reputation. Their signature Strat platform would need to have their own branding in one form or another. Even though it's clearly their version of Fender's Statocaster.

And honestly, I don't care either. But some do, and I respect that.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
They are not the first major company to come up with their own versions of other company's classics.

Even the Venerable Gibson came up with their take on a Hendrix Strat.

Hamer came out with a shameless Les Paul DC jr. And it sold like gangbusters. Put them on the map.

But..

In the strive to be "different", one must not lose the engineering principles that make guitars play well and sound good.

Rob H.

Reaction score
This is one of those “subtle” details I can appreciate. Putting a Bigsby on my 335 clone, and comparing Jazzmasters/Jaguars with Strats and Teles led me to think there’s something to overall string length regarding string tension (not just scale length).

5F6-A

Reaction score
This is one of those “subtle” details I can appreciate. Putting a Bigsby on my 335 clone, and comparing Jazzmasters/Jaguars with Strats and Teles led me to think there’s something to overall string length regarding string tension (not just scale length).
So true.

Latest Threads