Why not slant the speaker baffle to project upwards?

ARandall

Reaction score
Personally, I hate to have my cabinet pointing at my head. I find that all I can hear is myself and lose track of the band. I like to hear myself in the mix, not above it. I don’t know how people can do it.
Does your band nail you to the stage????
Move to the side so you get all sounds

crosstownblues

Wraptail Fan
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does your band nail you to the stage????
Move to the side so you get all sounds
Have been gigging for 40 years. Never ever liked to have my amp aimed at my ears. If not for me, there’s no reason to angle the cab up.

Nikki M

Reaction score
I accidentally ran across this bass cab. The front of it is slanted to project sound upwards. Seems like a good idea for guitar since when playing at home you have to rig something like that anyway to hear what's coming out of the amp properly.

Is there any reason not to do this?

View attachment 520711
Just stuff a big wad of your dirty underwear under the front of your cab..nobody will mess with it..

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
OPie's pic is a Boom Bass Cabinet. More speakers than visible in some. Love to have one...

As far as tilted baffle board, it would alleviate several issues with guitarists.

I thought that 4x12s on their backs but a bit slanted at a Bruce concert was brilliant. Crank em up. Poke that buzzard and make him holler... No popcorn munchers killed... No libble chewrins warped for life, no Karens bitching about loud...

Dolebludger

Reaction score
A slanted baffle might result in a bit better projection, but why not get an adjustable speaker stand? They are not expensive, get the speaker raised off the floor, and the tilt can be adjusted for best projection in a given venue. And there is no cab mod work involved.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda hard to put a 4x12 on a combo stand...
Some folks hate stands.
Some will blather on about being floor coupled.
Some will blather on about NOT being floor coupled.
Some folks don't have a clue how bad they are beaming out front.
Some folks don't care how bad they're beaming out front.
Some don't care how badly they're smoking everybody else on stage.
Slider munky out front would sure be happier with any method of tilting. I'd be deliriously happy if everybody used blast shields. Back in my full time working days, we walled and 57'd our Marshalls. We could blast the back wall all we wanted with no dead popcorn munchers out front or killing us on stage.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
The last two 1x12 cabs I built have a mild slant to the baffle - top about 2” or so back from vertical. I just play electric guitar at home and from about 8’ to 18’ (20’ cord), I like what seems to be more presence in the tone. I got the idea from a commercial cab, Randall I think. I think the Marshall Code 2x12 cab has a slant baffle. I always thought the top 2 speakers in a traditional Marshall 4x12 slant cab were tilted, but I’ve not been fortunate enough to have owned one so can’t say with certainty.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My biz partner built a vertical 2x12 with both slanted way back. Wish I would have gotten him to build me one back then...and left the 4x12 at home.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Some folks hate stands.
Slider munky out front would sure be happier with any method of tilting. I'd be deliriously happy if everybody used blast shields. Back in my full time working days, we walled and 57'd our Marshalls. We could blast the back wall all we wanted with no dead popcorn munchers out front or killing us on stage.
Ah, yes, I couldn’t get a 4X12 on a stand. No way. 1 use small 1X12s. And I also use beam blockers, and stands that aim the sound above the heads of the audience. This type of rig helps me to lower the volume so as to let other players be heard, while I am still being heard. I know different players have different ideas, probably based on their style and where they play. This is only what works for me.

hbucker

Reaction score
Some folks hate stands.
:applause: Yes, we tend to be notoriously, "THIS IS HOW I HAVE TO DO IT!!"

Therefore, "THIS IS HOW EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE TO DO IT TOO!!" - In the face of of all of the contradictions you posted above. Even with the slanted baffle on my cab, I need to stand 10' in front of it to be in the zone. How many stages in small venues allow for this distance? At least it "beams" it away from the front row, for the most part.

"I can't hear myself unless I turn it up," would be greatly diminished in a lot of situations if we didn't have our cabs aimed at our knees. We might even be able to dial in our tone so that it sounds better in the "beam zone" and not just so that our knees are satisfied.

Mic'd with a good PA/monitors and these issues tend to be reduced. But many weekend warrior gigs don't accommodate us with all the best monitoring.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
:applause: Yes, we tend to be notoriously, "THIS IS HOW I HAVE TO DO IT!!"

Therefore, "THIS IS HOW EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD HAVE TO DO IT TOO!!" - In the face of of all of the contradictions you posted above. Even with the slanted baffle on my cab, I need to stand 10' in front of it to be in the zone. How many stages in small venues allow for this distance? At least it "beams" it away from the front row, for the most part.

"I can't hear myself unless I turn it up," would be greatly diminished in a lot of situations if we didn't have our cabs aimed at our knees. We might even be able to dial in our tone so that it sounds better in the "beam zone" and not just so that our knees are satisfied.

Mic'd with a good PA/monitors and these issues tend to be reduced. But many weekend warrior gigs don't accommodate us with all the best monitoring.
Yeah, doing a good bit of slider munky work over the years, I've heard all kinds of bullshit rationale for PTFL.... I may not have complete control of their amp outside of our band, which I DO have, but I do have control over things like mute buttons, monitor feeds, etc.... When a wedge in front of you has several times the power capability of one's amp, including the option to instantly go to 0watts, don't poke the munky out front. Team effort. Work together and I'll bust my ass to make stage sound righteous. My ass is on the line just like the stage. Bufordry on either's part makes everybody look bad.

edro.

bluestandard

Reaction score
It's good if you like the sound coming directly at you. Personally, that usually hurts my ears except at really low volumes.

I have a Randall 1x12 slanted cab. I got tired of the speaker blasting right at my face/ears so I turned it on its side and like it much better that way. Someday I'll probably replace with a straight cab because it's slightly annoying to look at a sideways cab, but I like the sound.

I also have a Marshall vertical 2x12 cab, straight on bottom straight and slant on top. That one is ok if I sit/stand off to one side. (I wonder how it would sound on its side...)

I mean sure I could turn down amp volumes a bit but that's no fun. :)

Latest Threads