Why No Tom Scholz Goldtop Signature LP?

Strikerfox

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea why theres no Tom Scholz sig? I think after all these years he deserves one, I mean his only touring guitars are 2 68-69 goldtops. I bet if Gibson put one out they would sell big. I know I would work my butt off to get one.
They are too busy giving Chad Kroeger his signature guitar.

marc1kim

Reaction score
anyone have any idea why theres no tom scholz sig? I think after all these years he deserves one, i mean his only touring guitars are 2 68-69 goldtops. I bet if gibson put one out they would sell big. I know i would work my butt off to get one.
+1

zslane

Reaction score
Since I doubt Gibson is going to incorporate Scholz's mechanical tuning technology into a guitar (even a signature model), what would be the point? Without that it's essentially just a Goldtop with a P90 in the neck and a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, right?

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Maybe the general public doesn't know who Tom Scholtz is but musicians do. And when selling Les Pauls you're catering to musicians not the general public. Sholtz is a genius and deserves his own sig guitar but thats precisely why we won't see one. Gibson seems to have slapped just about everybody's name on a Les Paul except for ones who deserve it like Tom Scholtz.

Lowdown

Reaction score
I'm still waiting on the Michael J. Fox 345 Sig. Come on Doc!

SGMM

Reaction score
"Mighty Mouse" is cool....dig the hum/P-90 config....love this gold-top too:

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While I think sig guitars are a waste of money... I CERTAINLY think SCHOLZ should have gotten one before Buckethead!!!

veeman

Reaction score
While I love Bostons music, I'm not so sure Tom is such a genius. If he is such a genius, why does it take him 8-10 years per album? Just sayin...

Kuroyama

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Anyone here thats ever tried to keep a band together, might understand how hard it was for Boston. No try it again with real fans, real money, real contracts, real LAWYERS... Not so easy to keep even a group of best buddies together.

So yeah, took years to pop out some records? OK. I'm 42 I dont have ANY hit records. How many chuu got?

planks

Reaction score
While I love Bostons music, I'm not so sure Tom is such a genius. If he is such a genius, why does it take him 8-10 years per album? Just sayin...
Year Album
1976 Boston
1978 Don't Look Back
1986 Third Stage
1994 Walk On
2002 Corporate America
2010 TBA 2010

Tom Scholz is not only a (imop) genius, he's also rumoured to be quite a perfectionist when it comes to his complex work with multi-layered guitars and vocals, song structure, small details in the arrangements of the songs, adding special carefully selected effects here and there, and all aspects of the final sound and mastering of the albums (he records onto analogue tape still to this day) and it seems from 1978 and onwards he has needed about 8 years each time to reach the point where he felt that the album lived up to his standards and was ready for release.

I bet he's real proud of the 29 (?) times a Boston album has gone platinum. imop he's a legendary example of the "it's not about quantity" thing.

planks

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DWVnrsrv4o]YouTube - Boston - Corporate America[/ame]

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Don't forget that besides doing the Boston thing Scholz invented all that neat Rockman stuff. This was back in the day when no one else had anything you could plug your guitar into and get clean, distortion, and chorused sounds out of a pair of headphones or through your stereo system. I believe he later sold Scholz Research and Development to Dunlop. Today we have tons of little boxes that do this type of stuff but to me the Scholz Rockman was the first. In fact I still have my original Rockman :)
Those Boston albums are classics. The guitar tone is certainly unique and instantly identifiable as HIS tone. Something very difficult to do in a sea of guitar players. That tone is unique today, imagine what it sounded like in 1976compared to everything else out there. Add on top of that the fact that he's quite a good keyboard player. Lets face it, Boston is Delp on vocals and Scholz on just about everything else including recording and engineering.
I've seen Boston live three times over the years and their live sound is incredible as well.
Yep, Scholz is a genius in my book, as mentioned earlier he deserves a sig Les Paul much more than people like Buckethead or Chad Kroeger and the like :)

WoodyTone

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Tom's music, but he's such a perfectionist and slow worker that the sig LP process would likely take forever and may never see the light of day.

Torren61

Reaction score
Anyone here thats ever tried to keep a band together, might understand how hard it was for Boston. No try it again with real fans, real money, real contracts, real LAWYERS... Not so easy to keep even a group of best buddies together.

So yeah, took years to pop out some records? OK. I'm 42 I dont have ANY hit records. How many chuu got?
Your logic is flawed. That's like saying "So-And-So didn't win a Grammy. That doesn't make him unworthy of winning a Grammy. I've never won a Grammy. How many Grammy do YOU have?" As if implying that since YOU have never done a particular thing that someone else should get an award simply because they HAVE done the thing that you haven't.

Btw, I have two Grammys. One on my father's side and one on my mother's side. :laugh2:

roodyrocker

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Tom's music, but he's such a perfectionist and slow worker that the sig LP process would likely take forever and may never see the light of day.
In other words you're saying he would force Gibson to finally get it right :laugh2:

veeman

Reaction score
Ok, so Tom is a genius. I can go along with that. He has some control issues, maybe some ego issues. He managed to aillenate his original band with his "I can do it all, better," attitude. Maybe even jealosy? From what I've read over the years, he wouldnt allow any kind of input into the making of the music, or very little input, from the rest of the band. Barry Goudreau is a much better guitarist than Tom is, yet Tom wouldnt allow Barry hardly any leads. Makes me wonder how long Michael Sweat will hang around, as he also can play circles around Tom. After the 3rd Stage album, the music just got cluttered, IMO.

Orvillian

Reaction score
I am not sure these guys were ever "best buddies"... at least the way I understand how being a buddy works. This has always been Tom's baby.

Classic Tracks: Boston's "More Than a Feeling"

You guys might find this article interesting, it talks about how the first Boston album was made, from the recording aspect of it.

axslinger

Reaction score
Honestly, don't care. They burn it with a soldering iron, dent it with a screwdriver then charge $7,000.00. Not thanks. I already have a signature model. MINE! It had ME written all over it and it didn't cost a nickel extra. :slash:

kent allard

Reaction score
Honestly, don't care. They burn it with a soldering iron, dent it with a screwdriver then charge $7,000.00. Not thanks. I already have a signature model. MINE! It had ME written all over it and it didn't cost a nickel extra. :slash:

this.:dude:

Latest Threads