Why New Bands Don't Play Gibson Guitars

wildhawk1

Reaction score
I pay the price for Gibson because I like their product.

Certainly nobody has a problem with a person buying a sweet looking Gibson and being proud of their guitar.

I love looking at those flame tops and customs shops though I've never owned one. Post away because we all love seeing them.

The video addresses in general why new bands, a younger generation isn't as enamored with Gibson as the previous ones.

IMHO that's fairly easy when the companies philosophy is so rooted living in the past.

HearHear

Reaction score
Actually Gibson guitars are pretty on point and competitive with price, for American made guitars. I’m generalizing here but Fender is probably one of the very few American made guitar manufacturers, if not the only one, that can sell a cheaper American made guitar, that’s actually made in America. I care where my guitar is made. I don’t want a Mexican or Korean or Indonesian guitar. Sorry, I just don’t. If I’m dropping coin on a new guitar it better have Made in USA on it. In my worthless opinion, Gibson makes the best looking and best sounding American made guitars on the planet. No one else comes close, and others just try to mimic Gibson. And they just feel right to me. Some people say Fenders are easier to play. Well, that may be true for certain people. But they aren’t easier to look at.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Yep, Fenders aren't easier to look at and definitely don't sound or have as much of that nice deep full tone to them. I think Fenders can be made cheaper, because Alder wood is cheaper, they don't have to do binding on the guitar and the finish is not a nitro finish.

Last edited:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have said this 50 times on this board and I will continue to say it until my face turns blue. If epiphone guitars had a proper Gibson open book headstock they would triple their sales overnight without making a dent in Gibson USA sales.

I hate to be a snob but it’s true. I love my Les Pauls, but as I get older I play almost exclusively fender guitars. I never thought I’d say that but here we are. For me it has a lot to do with the fact that I have found a deep love of single coil pickups. The Lester I use most has p90s in it, and my current GAS is an SG special. But, at the end of the day, it’s my opinion that Gibson has an affordability problem. Younger artists aren’t going to spend the money on a Les Paul when any number of high quality, more affordable options are on the table.

If I were a young gigging musician today and I wanted a humbucker sound I would buy a schecter or a prs se.

Goodcleanfun

Reaction score
I have said this 50 times on this board and I will continue to say it until my face turns blue. If epiphone guitars had a proper Gibson open book headstock they would triple their sales overnight without making a dent in Gibson USA sales.

I hate to be a snob but it’s true. I love my Les Pauls, but as I get older I play almost exclusively fender guitars. I never thought I’d say that but here we are. For me it has a lot to do with the fact that I have found a deep love of single coil pickups. The Lester I use most has p90s in it, and my current GAS is an SG special. But, at the end of the day, it’s my opinion that Gibson has an affordability problem. Younger artists aren’t going to spend the money on a Les Paul when any number of high quality, more affordable options are on the table.

If I were a young gigging musician today and I wanted a humbucker sound I would buy a schecter or a prs se.
You've never seen japanese Epiphones then :)

The players I ask about Gibson just tell me they're not worth it. Other manufacturers offer more/equal for less and if you're not sold on the brand of Gibson, which generally appeals to older men, there's way more options now than ever before to get something similar which may be more to your liking in brand philosophy, looks, sound, and price.

Gibson are a prestige brand and price themselves accordingly, but that prestige isn't recognised by a lot of younger players.

Shelkonnery

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's cute and all, but give it 10 to 20 years until some of these Coachella artists become legacy names and wind up all playing Gibsons.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Gibson are a prestige brand and price themselves accordingly, but that prestige isn't recognised by a lot of younger players.

What is recognized by younger players (and older ones) is gigging a guitar where a ding or scratch immediately throws $500 out the window doesn't make sense.

They recognize the finer things but It's a case for many of keep the pretty and the substantial cost of a label on the headstock and give me something practical that does the same job.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
What is recognized by younger players (and older ones) is gigging a guitar where a ding or scratch immediately throws $500 out the window doesn't make sense.

They recognize the finer things but It's a case for many of keep the pretty and the substantial cost of a label on the headstock and give me something practical that does the same job.
I don't purchase my Gibson to be looked at, I purchase them to play. If they get dings and scratches, so be it, I just want something that feels/plays/sounds great and lasts a long-time which Gibson's are proven to do. I love my Epiphones just as much as my Gibson's, I don't look at cost so much as playability and tone. I have both and they are all fantastic, I only keep great guitars no matter what the cost.

mjross

Reaction score
Certainly nobody has a problem with a person buying a sweet looking Gibson and being proud of their guitar.

I love looking at those flame tops and customs shops though I've never owned one. Post away because we all love seeing them.

The video addresses in general why new bands, a younger generation isn't as enamored with Gibson as the previous ones.

IMHO that's fairly easy when the companies philosophy is so rooted living in the past.
You are entitled to your opinion. Many of us don’t see it that way, we like what Gibson is doing, I’m one of them! Nothing wrong with the past, they were great times.

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
It didn't with Martin or PRS. The whole point of running a business is make money, not to be a cork sniffer.
I could be wrong, but I think Gibson does make more money off of the “cork sniffer” mentality. An example Phillip McKnight mentioned is cars. Porsche and Ferrari aren’t trying to compete with Toyota. They’re a luxury sports car brand known for their pedigree and appeal to hard core enthusiasts who will spend upwards of 100k on their cars. Could Porsche sell more cars by making a cheaper economy vehicle with a Porsche badge? Probably, but they would likely lose the prestige and branding that allows them to sell a car like the 911 for $120k. It’s two business models. Sell a few expensive exclusive items, or a bunch of cheaper items. And some bean counters at Gibson probably already did the math on this and figured out what is best for their brand and company. Fender has always been great at selling themselves as the practical working man’s type guitar from the bolt on neck to the slab bodies. Gibson models like the gold tops, Black Beauty, and bursts gave off a more high end luxury feel. There’s exceptions to both of course but I think both companies have established an idenity and customer base and I don’t think one brand should try and be like the other.

Also, I know PRS has done great with the SE line and it doesn’t take away from their higher end models, but I think that boat has passed for Gibson to make a “cheaper” Chinese made Gibson since Epiphone is so well established now. If they want to make more accessible guitars and keep the Gibson headstock, they should bring back and improve on some cheaper lower end student models like the DC Junior.

Last edited:

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson does it now and then. I have a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker, which was a new model, not a reissue or tribute, a used 2009 Melody Maker ('59 reissue and likely the cheapest reissue ever sold by Gibson) and a 2019 Junior DC that is a tribute.

All very affordable, close to cheap, actually. I paid $1,300 US for all three.

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Gibson does it now and then. I have a 2014 Les Paul Melody Maker, which was a new model, not a reissue or tribute, a used 2009 Melody Maker ('59 reissue and likely the cheapest reissue ever sold by Gibson) and a 2019 Junior DC that is a tribute.

All very affordable, close to cheap, actually. I paid $1,300 US for all three.
Well said. The current SG and Les Paul Raven are $1100 brand new. And I think zzounds or musiciansfriend blew out some Les Paul tributes for cheap recently. Most of these prices are similar to Fender Mexican guitars.

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of my Teles are MIM. The Vintera '50s Tele has all the appearance of a mid '54 Tele, and it didn't cost me Fender reissue money.

dcmey

Reaction score
Gibson desperately needs some kind of equivalent to Fender's made in Mexico line.
They could, but you also have the studio, and junior which are more affordable.

Latest Threads