why is the Traditional Pro less expensive than the regular Traditional?

Alex W

Reaction score
First off, sorry if this is a rehashed topic. I used the search but terms like "pro" are so short that they are ignored by the search engine.

Anyway, can anyone explain why the Traditional Pro sells for less than a regular Traditional? The usual street prices are:

$2300.00 Traditional Plus
$2200.00 Traditional (in ebony or GT)
$2000.00 Traditional Pro (clear finishes)
$1900.00 Traditional Pro (in ebony)

So finish for finish, the Trad Pro is roughly $300 cheaper, yet it has more features like locking tuners and push-pull pots. Is the price difference explained by the non-gloss back and neck on the Trad Pro? Is there anything else about the Trad Pro that's somehow lesser in quality or anything?

Inca Mac

Reaction score
I think its the plain top maple and the satin finsh neck and back
Must be less work in in satin finish than the nromal lacquer ?

smcgov

Reaction score
I think those nitro finishes are very labor and time intensive....always significantly cheaper when the gloss finish isn't there

jason_mazzy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It is also a special run made for GC (and subsequently their online store MF), so they have a lil more price control.

Jeffguy

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that the satin finish takes approx 2 weeks less time to finish in the factory then nitro .. Don't know how true that is but it would make sense considering the price difference.

KenG

Reaction score
One difference between the 2 models is that originally all Trad + versions were 1 piece backs and all Trad Pros were 2 piece backs. Gibson has since changed the Trad + to allow for 1 or 2 piece backs.
Couple that with the finish and Top differences and it would explain the Pro being less.

jfm07

Reaction score
BUT ... you get the added coil splitting feature. That seems like an upgrade, doesn't it? If anything they should be priced the same, since the expanded functionality would seem to offset the finish difference.

I think the pricing has more to do with their target audience than anything. The Trad, Std, CS guitars appeal to older Gibson fans (who might have a little extra scratch) while Trad Pro, BFG, Flood, Buckethead guitars seem to be targeted at newer LP fans and, coincidentally, priced a smidge lower.

$0.02

outskirts of infinity

Reaction score
Probably a combination of being a plain top, different finish on the back, and a special deal through GC & MF.

Some of the trad pros have 1 piece backs.

arod427

Reaction score
great post very informative. I always wondered about this. I really really like my traditional pro. It sounds and plays amazing. I will be adding a Fishman Piezo to mine. I can wait.

cynic79

Reaction score
BUT ... you get the added coil splitting feature. That seems like an upgrade, doesn't it? If anything they should be priced the same, since the expanded functionality would seem to offset the finish difference.

I think the pricing has more to do with their target audience than anything. The Trad, Std, CS guitars appeal to older Gibson fans (who might have a little extra scratch) while Trad Pro, BFG, Flood, Buckethead guitars seem to be targeted at newer LP fans and, coincidentally, priced a smidge lower.

$0.02

Adding a coil tap require a bit of extra wiring and two push/pull pots. Gibson is spending pennies to add that feature, whereas they are likely saving more than a few dollars on materials, labor, and time doing a satin finish on the Trad Pros.

jfm07

Reaction score
Adding a coil tap require a bit of extra wiring and two push/pull pots. Gibson is spending pennies to add that feature, whereas they are likely saving more than a few dollars on materials, labor, and time doing a satin finish on the Trad Pros.
No question that there is a higher production cost for the Trad.

But is there no value, perceived or otherwise, for having the added capability? What would a fully finished Trad with coil tapping sell for? The same as one with standard electronics? People spend a fair bit of change out of pocket to ADD this feature to their guitars (especially if they don't have four-wire pups), so it's not exactly a minor add on--to buyers.

strat les sg

Reaction score
dont know but they are a good deal I gotta cherryburst for 1600 and a tobacco burst for 1350(ordered a blem but they ran out and sent a new one) new,the most overrated one I have is the 58 vos

Standard

Reaction score

WHOA!!! Are you trying to give Gibson reasons to charge MORE than they already do? Someone find this man and break his typin' hand, he must be silenced.

Mule Train

Reaction score
Coil tapping is nothing. A 1.50 upgrade. I can do it in my sleep. AA figured maple top with a lacquer paint job is another story all together.

jfm07

Reaction score
Coil tapping is nothing. A 1.50 upgrade. I can do it in my sleep. AA figured maple top with a lacquer paint job is another story all together.
No question about the cost but, again, sell price has much less to do with component and labor costs.

Here's a more dramatic example. GC is offering a 50th Anniversary Custom Limited Edition Gold Top for $5,999. It comes with 490R/498T pups, ebony fingerboard, block inlays, "gold" hardware plus:

... antique gold finish is on the top, back and neck, an engraved gold-plated 50th Anniversary headstock veneer, a gold-plated truss rod cover,and a 50th Anniversary Certificate of Authenticity.

A Standard Trad with 57 Classic/Classic+ pups, rosewood fingerboard, trap inlays and chrome hadware lists for $2,189.

That's a difference of $3,810. Would you say that upcharge reflects only the additional labor and component costs that go into the 50th Anniversary model?

jonc

Reaction score
I got a very unique Trad Pro. One piece back, really figured top, some flame, and little dots of flame! I went through a friend who has a contract with guitar center. Had them get me the nicest one they had in the area. I am more than impressed!

Latest Threads