Why is the Classic so much cheaper than the others?

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a 2019 classic that was gorgeous but i sold it off because it felt very stiff just like you described.
My 2017 body and neck vibrate and resonate every string pluck, strum etc.

grumphh

Reaction score
So true unless it is a limityed run like the GLP Moonless Night, or one of the Widow's or the Diablo.... NBUt only worth BECAUSE only 25 or so are made.
If you create a thing to be "rare" it is artificially rare, and can only be sold to the gullible ones.

It used to be... good old days... yadda yadda yadda... that rarities (of all kinds) were that because of errors or extremely short production runs
- but this idea that marketing can say, "lets paint a guitar in a certain colour/way and call it a rarity" because there are only 25 people we can rip off that way, simply is to daft to imagine anyone falling for... But people do buy the stuff, so i guess i just don't understand them :)

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
My math counts 7?
I have 6 Les Pauls, 2 custom lights, amnd 4 standards, and one classic. All with the 60's slim tappered neck and all kiond of weight relieved. I took the classic (used, mint, $1600.) and turned it into the Jimmy Page Masterpiece. Changed the tuning keys, I think the bridge tailpiece, (would have to double check with the Luthier), and changed the pick ups to a full set of pearly gates. Oh anmd Heritage Cherry Burst. Would have cost $3500-$5000. Total cost with mod labor was under $2350. Oh and I changed the truss rod plate from CLASSIC to a blank...just like Page's. Or I should say one of Page's. Only thing you need is ti find a used mint GLP classic and a good LUTHIER!!!!! I play this axe almost more than m,y $4800. PRS Custom 2408. Of course very diffeent tones though.

My math tallies 7?

juanpuol

Reaction score
Here in Canada, at our largest retailer a Classic sells for $2549 and a 50s, 60s, 70s sells for $3199. $650 difference.
Hi, Man. Just Curious, what is the biggest retailer in Canada? I wanted to give my brother a guitar for graduation present, but I am not sure what stores are comparable with Sweetwater or Thomann over there.
Any suggestions where to get nice guitars? It will not be a Gibson, but maybe an Epiphone...
Thanks

juanpuol

Reaction score
While you are at it then, why don't you share your thoughts on the Custom Shop? Yes, the "blue collar" affluents can afford a Les Paul Standard, or maybe even $500 more for a Slash. But it is the REAL ritzy affluents that buy Custom Shop (LOL) who truly get " the best product money can buy".
There are different level of wealth and what people are willing to spend for a guitar. While I am sold on the Slash marketing thing, currently saving for one, and can afford a higher end standard, I can't really justify to myself going to the Custom Shop prices... in part because I am a hobbyist and not a musician.
So yeah, there are different levels of "the best you can afford". And then publicity will try to convince you to actually spend the most of what you can buy.

Going from the Standard I like to the CS I like (a 60's reissue), is a huge jump in money. And harder to justify to play in my bedroom.

juanpuol

Reaction score
The price dropped post bankruptcy. When Henry was in charge a Traditonal was $2700 and the standards were over $3k.

Then the new regime made Traditionals back to being Standards and dropped the price as well.

I figured the $500 difference between the Classic and new Standard was the flame top and PCB.
I got one of the last traditionals, a ´19 Traditional in HCS. Awesome guitar and specs are basically the same than the standard 50s. However, I did try a Standard last year in a store... and it felt quite different some how.
But yeah, I got the Traditional on sale for about 1700€, which is what the classics cost now, and is basically a Standard...
But I left with the feeling that I could have bought a standard and have that lable on the trussrod cover...

Marketing, man...

Roxy13

Reaction score
The flame top costs Gibson an extra $30 in wood. Seriously. The push/pull pots on the Classic cost more than the regular pots on the Standard, the PCB costs more than the wiring on the Standard and the weight relief costs a smidgeon more in labour. The manufacturing cost difference between the Classic and the Standard is peanuts. Totally negligible.
I know. But, they get away with it and claim of course that flame maple is not as common. It's true that it's not as common but only the really spectacular stuff costs a lot more. I've paid anywhere from $40 to nearly $200 for the blank for a top and that's blanks, not full pieces of lumber that still need a lot of processing.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Hi, Man. Just Curious, what is the biggest retailer in Canada? I wanted to give my brother a guitar for graduation present, but I am not sure what stores are comparable with Sweetwater or Thomann over there.
Any suggestions where to get nice guitars? It will not be a Gibson, but maybe an Epiphone...
Thanks
Long & McQuade is Canada's largest music store. They're also the Canadian distributor for the Gibson family of brands, so they tend to go above and beyond for warranty issues if needed.

I always prefer to support my local independent store, but if buying a Gibson, Epiphone, Kramer, it just makes sense to buy from Long & McQuade.

juanpuol

Reaction score
Long & McQuade is Canada's largest music store. They're also the Canadian distributor for the Gibson family of brands, so they tend to go above and beyond for warranty issues if needed.

I always prefer to support my local independent store, but if buying a Gibson, Epiphone, Kramer, it just makes sense to buy from Long & McQuade.
Thanks!
I will probably buy online to Toronto, so I think the biggest store fits my needs better.
Thanks for your help!

Lesterdelphia

Reaction score
Whatever the reason, I'm really glad I scored this 2018 Classic. I've owned a lot of good View attachment 548121 Paul's, and this is as good as any of them
Love those Gold Top Classics w/ P-90's. IMO, if you like a P-90 LP, they were the best bang for the buck Gibson LP's.
The original Gold Top Tributes were also crazy good deals....they just typically needed a good Pro set-up (nut work, fret ends, etc).

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good bend on an old P90 Lester makes me moist...

Musha Ring

Reaction score
There are different level of wealth and what people are willing to spend for a guitar. While I am sold on the Slash marketing thing, currently saving for one, and can afford a higher end standard, I can't really justify to myself going to the Custom Shop prices... in part because I am a hobbyist and not a musician.
So yeah, there are different levels of "the best you can afford". And then publicity will try to convince you to actually spend the most of what you can buy.

Going from the Standard I like to the CS I like (a 60's reissue), is a huge jump in money. And harder to justify to play in my bedroom.
Have you tried a 60s Standard?

Demon Dave

Reaction score
Why? I’had custom, standard and blank, but today I‘m proud to have “Classic” on my TRC, it’s there to stay it doesn’t affect the tone:rofl:

Latest Threads