why is it so hard to get amber speed knobs

veniculum

Reaction score
The top hats look so much better. I love speed knobs but those top hats go with that guitar

I know...that's why they put them on there to begin with ;)

I really do think the color has something to do with it though. On the Traditionals (and a lot of the replica 50s and 60s Standards), they put gold top hats on there...but those guitars have the pickguard as well.

For whatever reason, the burst top without any pickguard covering it up just seems to go well with amber. And while I don't think the amber speed knobs will look as good as the stock top hats, they'll look better (on this particular guitar) than gold...anything gold.

I had the four speed knobs on there, and it just doesn't look right. So right now, two top hats (amber), on the top, and the gold speed knobs on bottom. It actually looks pretty good. Replacing the bridge speed knobs with amber ones will look good....I think.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I ended up putting 2 amber top hats on, and two gold speed knobs...and wouldn't you know it...it actually looks good.
However, after seeing the post above...with a link to US amber knobs, I think I'll give it one more shot...I mean...what's another 8 bucks.

Thanks again...much appreciated.

Well, don't knock the mismatched knobs . . . lots of players make it work aesthetically, even if they weren't doing it for that reason. To name just one, Mike Bloomfield's '59 burst ended up with a speed knob on the neck pup's tone pot, top hats on the neck pup volume pot and the bridge pup tone pot, and a reflector on the bridge pup volume pot---with the reflector saying "tone" on it! It didn't exactly kill his guitar . . .

But if you're really hot for the amber speeds, you can find them on eBay with amazing frequency---and usually in full sets of four.

Personally, I'm a tophat man . . .

your idol

Reaction score
RS doesnt have em? I mean you pay out your ass with thrm but you get what you want the first time

180gROC

Reaction score
kzerkhs2lt.jpg

I changed to speed knobs when I installed push/pulls. Don't remember having a hard time finding amber.

Ides of March

Reaction score
There has to be somewhere you can order it from. I like the speed knobs better than the top hats for my Trad. They are bigger and I can get to them easier. Plus Randy Rhoads had them on his Custom lol!!

ctkarslake

Reaction score
Hey Veniculum, that's a nice offer you made there, I hope a speed knob fan will take you up on that. Who knows, maybe it will lead to a sticky about postage only parts we all have that we are willing to part with. Good idea!

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey Veniculum, that's a nice offer you made there, I hope a speed knob fan will take you up on that. Who knows, maybe it will lead to a sticky about postage only parts we all have that we are willing to part with. Good idea!

1143366025564.jpg

Latest Threads