why is it so hard to get amber speed knobs

veniculum

Reaction score
Hey guys....I have a 2008 LP Standard....it came with amber top hat knobs, which I really liked the way it looked. But I've always preferred speed knobs in terms of how they feel/perform. So I figured that I'd just get amber speed knobs and I'd get the look I want and the feel I want.

No such luck. I ordered a set from stumac...they turned out to be "coarse spline"...which didn't fit my pots. So at that point, I did my research and found out I needed "fine spline" knobs. After looking around online, I found amber speed knobs, fine spline. Today I got them, and these aren't right either. They're amber alright...literally...they're closer to red than amber. So I put them on, and it's not like they don't match...but they just look kinda funny.

At this point, I guess Gibson just doesn't make amber speeds...they make gold and black..and I do have a set of gold. The gold doesn't look bad...I mean, they use the gold knobs on the Traditional LP...so I'm trying to decide what to do here...I'd like to know what you guys think. Here's a couple pics. I appreciate it.

Stock:

TMLPStd.jpg

Gold Speed Knobs:

2b9e2641.jpg

"amber speeds" (aftermarket)

9f2863bf.jpg

lpstudiored

Reaction score
top hats, the speeds take up too much room and detract from the top, make it look a little too, "busy".

zontar

Reaction score
I like those last ones--even if they're redder than you wanted.

The previous owner of my Les Paul had speed knobs on it--and I prefer speed knobs as well, but on a black Les Paul I prefer black ones--so I took off the gold ones--which were aged naturally (and probably coloured by smoke), and they kind of look amber--but they look great on my bass.

username

Reaction score
I'm with ya on speed knobs. I prefer the way they feel over top hats, but the stock picture looks sooooo much better. I'd probably go with the gold Gibson knobs, since I don't care too much about how my guitar looks when I'm playing it... but I do care if I'm having trouble adjusting my knobs.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
What about some amber top hats?

To answer your question: 18004GIBSON.

CharlyG

Reaction score
I wish the knobs would match the pickup rings and the pickguard!

Sven

Reaction score
I've been looking for the right amber speed knobs, too. I think they would look good on my Explorer. It has tpo hats, and I kinda like speed knobs.

Explorer5.jpg

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn, no love for the reflectors around here lately
lp96.jpg

veniculum

Reaction score
I appreciate all the comments. I, too, prefer the look of the amber top hats (which came stock)...as most of you do. I just like the feel of the speed knobs way too much...even if they detract from the look of the guitar.

I ended up putting 2 amber top hats on, and two gold speed knobs...and wouldn't you know it...it actually looks good.
However, after seeing the post above...with a link to US amber knobs, I think I'll give it one more shot...I mean...what's another 8 bucks.

Thanks again...much appreciated.

6pack Jon

Reaction score
I love speed knobs. I would go with the gold or the amber. Thats is the color of the aftermarket amber speed knobs. If you look at the photos in the link its just the lighting that makes them look lighter.

veniculum

Reaction score
I'm gonna try the amber one more time. I don't really care if they're aftermarket, as long as their correct. The most recent set that I bought were literally red...not the Gibson amber.

Here's a pic of the gibson amber vs. the ones I bought. Believe me...when you see them on the guitar right in front of you, they look silly...they're really red....and while red matches the red in the top's burst finish...it just doesn't look right because Gibson never put this color knob on any of their guitars. It almost looks...umm...comical. That's the best way I can describe it.

Here's a pic of the most recent 'amber' knobs that I bought. I guess they took the word amber literally. And when you only pay 10 bucks for something, to return them, would cost just as much in shipping...I wouldn't get my money back. Anybody want some silly red knobs that have never been used on a Les Paul...send me a self addressed box, and I'll mail them to you :)

7d595146.jpg

jkp44

Reaction score
The top hats look so much better. I love speed knobs but those top hats go with that guitar

6pack Jon

Reaction score
Wow I never seen one like that. Generally they are a little dark and brownish.
I'm gonna try the amber one more time. I don't really care if they're aftermarket, as long as their correct. The most recent set that I bought were literally red...not the Gibson amber.

Here's a pic of the gibson amber vs. the ones I bought. Believe me...when you see them on the guitar right in front of you, they look silly...they're really red....and while red matches the red in the top's burst finish...it just doesn't look right because Gibson never put this color knob on any of their guitars. It almost looks...umm...comical. That's the best way I can describe it.

Here's a pic of the most recent 'amber' knobs that I bought. I guess they took the word amber literally. And when you only pay 10 bucks for something, to return them, would cost just as much in shipping...I wouldn't get my money back. Anybody want some silly red knobs that have never been used on a Les Paul...send me a self addressed box, and I'll mail them to you :)

7d595146.jpg

Latest Threads