Why is it called a stand by switch?

Rotorhead

Reaction score
I never really looked at the words on the switches. I just flip them all up until lights light up and play.

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Post # 6 includes links to articles on stand by switches, and why they aren't needed (and may possibly be bad for an amp.)
Also, shouldn't ten years here be long enough to learn how comments work at MLP, and other forums? :D
Didn't see any bullying, but smart ass comments are SOP.

Assuming that normal, good natured humor and ribbing directed at you is bullying, is simply another side affect of drinking the KoolAide!
'Nuff Said!
Gene

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Alls I know is that Lyle Caldwell says many times (in his YouTube videos) that you don't need standby switches in guitar amps. That's plenty good enough for me.
As I understand it, they're a hold-over from radio transmission-type stuff, where cathode poisoning/stripping was possible, and Leo just copied them into his circuits from the RCA book.
I've got the impression that guitar amps are a long way from needing standby switches for that purpose.
That said, I use it on my 2204 on breaks just to keep the tubes hot. I also leave it on standby while I'm plugging in my board and guitar to avoid pops and hum.
But it's not to protect the cathodes. I'm glad it has the switch, but for my stated reasons, not cathode stripping.

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it’s a pointless switch, and I stand by that statement.
And yet you could file it to a point.

Has anyone pointed out that it's not called a "stand by" switch, but a "standby" switch? One is a noun (as in "they placed me on standby for the next flight") and the other a phrasal verb. It might even be a prepositional phrase with an implied object or something. Like saying "eat shit," the subject is clearly understood! Subjects and objects are grammatically different, though... point is that it's called a "Standby Switch", not a stand by switch, and I stand by that. Although when used that way the word "standby" becomes an adjective! Crazy.

You're right that this is pointless.

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Point less? Positively.

Stand by vs Standby
Kinda like one way is go wait to do something, nuther way is already waiting to do something.

It's mazactly the same just different.

Irregardless.....

judson

Reaction score
my 72 Ampeg V4 has a standby switch which was very useful

being drunk as hell or high as a kite, i would just stagger towards the red light and hit the switch next to that had an orange light over it

still got the amp and still dont have a clue wtf that polarity switch in the middle does

...is there a thread for that ...nevermind i dont need to know.. :rofl: .

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say that it depends on design (to be on the safe side as there are many different amp manufacturers), but if you're talking about old Fender type circuits, the expert consensus seems to be that they are unnecessary and potentially damaging or shortening tube life over the long run.

Clearly it's not a huge deal, though. The official MLP opinion is bordering on Rat's Ass.
Okay, THAT (the last sentence) is the BEST answer so far...

:applause:

but...no cake...

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet you could file it to a point.

Has anyone pointed out that it's not called a "stand by" switch, but a "standby" switch? One is a noun (as in "they placed me on standby for the next flight") and the other a phrasal verb. It might even be a prepositional phrase with an implied object or something. Like saying "eat shit," the subject is clearly understood! Subjects and objects are grammatically different, though... point is that it's called a "Standby Switch", not a stand by switch, and I stand by that. Although when used that way the word "standby" becomes an adjective! Crazy.

You're right that this is pointless.
Frustrated English major Eric?

I do believe you are correct sir. ..
as is your last sentence.

Damn I love this place...

martin H

Reaction score
IMO, in terms of electrical necessity, whatever use it had disappeared about 60 years ago. My understanding is that it was originally linked to the behavior of a certain tube rectifier when it first starts up, coupled with some under-rated HT smoothing capacitors. It's not found anywhere in electronic designs excepting guitar amps that were originally derived from early Fender designs ( including Marshalls) and a few radio transmission circuits.

keys88

Reaction score
That said, I use it on my 2204 on breaks just to keep the tubes hot. I also leave it on standby while I'm plugging in my board and guitar to avoid pops and hum.
Whether they are necessary or not, I’m not smart enough to weigh in on that lol. But in this respect I feel like they are actually very useful. Playing at home switching between multiple guitars, or testing out different pedal configurations… it’s nice to be able to flip on standby for a few seconds to avoid pops and hum, and it also seems better than constantly turning the amp on and off.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turn the volume control down to switch guitars. Can't hear the pops then.

Reactions: nkd

Latest Threads