Why is it called a stand by switch?

bgrizz

Reaction score
My problem with the standby switch has always been “turn on the standby switch after warming up”. To me when you turn on standby you are switching it to where you get no sound while mains is still on. So when you are powering amp on you’re already in standby and therefore to play you switch standby off.
So when you are playing your standby is off, right?
I don’t know why the concept is so difficult for me to get lol. Just the way it’s worded is confusing to me. Anybody else think this way?

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem with the standby switch has always been “turn on the standby switch after warming up”. To me when you turn on standby you are switching it to where you get no sound while mains is still on.
Depending on who is playing, that might be the more preferred option....

shark

Reaction score
I installed a standby switch on my ole lady...shes always hot!!

on and off.jpg

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I said backwards because the standby does not limit the inrush current to the plates and power supply capacitors.
With the standby open, the tube rectifier is allowed to warm up and deliver full voltage, then you flip the standby and blast the caps and plates with full voltage.
Leaving the standby switch closed, the tube rectifier gradually increases voltage to the filter caps and plates as it warms up.

Under no circumstances does the standby switch limit the inrush current to the power supply or tubes.

When shutting off, all opening the standby switch does is disconnect the rectifier from the filter caps and plates. The caps are still charged (and will remain so for some time).
It doesn't hurt anything to hit the standby before shutdown, but there's no benefit.
This is my understanding as well. Admittedly when I was getting my electrical engineering degree tubes were already considered ancient technology and I didn't encounter a single word about them in my formal education, but that's also what I see when I look at old Fender schematics. In my opinion it would be "best" to just leave the Standby switch in the ON position all of the time, hard-wire it there, and yet I do find myself still using it for beer breaks occasionally! Old habits die hard.

I'm not sure whether some newer amps have redesigned their Standby circuit to make it more useful or not. I notice that Mesa repeats the lines about letting tubes warm up for thirty seconds before turning the Standby switch to ON in my Triple Crown manual, but haven't ever seen a schematic of that amp.

Anyway the real takeaway for me is that even when I go camping for a couple of nights, this place delivers!

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'll go with not making racket and shit when you plug/unplug, maintaining constant circuit temp when you flip it to plug/unplug without shutting off as temp cycling is bad for anything, and last but certainly not least, giving folks something to get all poochie lipped over.....

But then again, I love okra sooo.....

Big John

minimize sucking
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When I was gigging a lot in the 90's, I always powered down my '68 Bassman during breaks. The other guitarist always told me "Just use the standy by switch, then the amp is always ready to go after the break." I thought he was full of shit. Fast forward 25 yrs, he's on disability and I'm a business owner.

Moral: using the stand by switch hurts you in the long run.

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
So what’s the final consensus….?

is using the stand by switch bad or good???

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I would say that it depends on design (to be on the safe side as there are many different amp manufacturers), but if you're talking about old Fender type circuits, the expert consensus seems to be that they are unnecessary and potentially damaging or shortening tube life over the long run.

Clearly it's not a huge deal, though. The official MLP opinion is bordering on Rat's Ass.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Now I'm upset. I don't have standby switches on my pair of amps in my gigging rig. Does this mean I can't grab a beer in between sets? Should I tuck dollar bills into my cathode's g-strings and ask them NOT to strip?
I know....I'm going to install standby switches!

For my amps with no standby switches I just hit the building breakers between sets. This also makes it clear when our break is over as the building power comes back on ;-)

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I turn the volume off if I want to swap guitars or have a smoke.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Doesn't hurt or help the amp.

But it'll hurt the gig if you wear it out and it fails after your first set ;)

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My problem with the standby switch has always been “turn on the standby switch after warming up”. To me when you turn on standby you are switching it to where you get no sound while mains is still on. So when you are powering amp on you’re already in standby and therefore to play you switch standby off.
So when you are playing your standby is off, right?
I don’t know why the concept is so difficult for me to get lol. Just the way it’s worded is confusing to me. Anybody else think this way?
You are just thinking creatively...I do know what you mean...amazingly enough,
cause words and numbers confuse me...

Latest Threads