Why is it called a stand by switch?

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always turn on my amps in stand by mode and let the tubes warm up a bit before turning stand by off and start palying.

Lesson learned is no more beer breaks

1neeto

Reaction score
Is it a tube amp? solid state amps don't need one as there is nothing to warm up. If it is a tube amp, then it's for cheapness by the manufacturer, they won't be the ones paying for early tube replacement. Sometimes a little component (called a thermister) is fitted inline with the mains transformer that limits the initial inrush current thereby giving a slower rise in output voltage to the circuits. Not really the proper way to do it with tube amps, but is a cheapskate partial answer to the problem.
Yes, the Peavey Classic 30 is all-tube.

TheWelder

Reaction score
I've read Fender developed the Standby switch as a way to reduce the cost of the amps by allowing amps to safely use lower voltage capacitors. Some argue that they aren't needed at all, and the commonly used function of muting your amp and keeping the tubes warm during your beer break (how I use it) wasn't the intended use.

I'm not an electrician though, so that is a very much a layman's interpretation.

pmonk

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the stand by switch was designed to put an amp in a sleep mode to prevent feed back from an idle guitar?

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
So, as usual, this question ends with half the community saying the stand by switch is a necessity, and the other half saying it means nothing.

This issue will NEVER be solved.

Recklessrog

Reaction score
As I understand it, a guitar amp doesn't use high enough current for a stand by switch to protect the tubes from sudden "high voltage." If your amp is sending 1000V + to the tubes, you have an issue that will likely blow the whole thing to bits.
Stand by? Stand the hell back!
Amplifier tubes are not heated "like a light bulb." They have a separate heater to get the tube hot enough to operate.

Mega Watt transmitters are a different animal from a lowly guitar amp. As such, they no doubt require certain protections in the circuitry.
When you show me your qualifications in electronics, and if they exceed mine along with my 55 years of hands on use and design of everything from "lowly" (really ?) amplifiers, to guidence systems in aircraft and missiles, then I will accept your ridiculous statements. Until then just stop making youself look ignorant to someone WHO REALLY DOES know what they are talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: Who

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What does “get ready to stand by” mean? Pretty funny LT.

Get ready to stand by?

That means your "on call". You may get called up. So get ready to stand by for work.

It's sorta like getting ready to commence to begin.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
When you show me your qualifications in electronics, and if they exceed mine along with my 55 years of hands on use and design of everything from "lowly" (really ?) amplifiers, to guidence systems in aircraft and missiles, then I will accept your ridiculous statements. Until then just stop making youself look ignorant to someone WHO REALLY DOES know what they are talking about.
Your attitude stinks.

you're out of the thread.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I said "as I understand it" I can read what's available online, you arrogant twerp.
[expletive deleted]

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No need to carry it on.

Grumpy is out of the thread.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the stand by switch was designed to put an amp in a sleep mode to prevent feed back from an idle guitar?
You have two volume controls (at least) at your disposal ;)

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
About everything I've read by folks in industry says the B+ level in an audio/ guitar amp is not near high enough for cathode stripping/ion bombardment damage....

But at the risk of a vaca and I'll damn sure take it if doled out in this case, I am not gonna be a total dickhead about it, say either of us are correct/incorrect as I do not have a quantitative proof sample to speak from, nor am I going to compare my CV with anydamnbody.

Have a nice day.
edro.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Laney use thermisters all the time in their amplifiers but mainly to limit the inrush current into the torroidal mains transformer. I don't understand what you mean by "backwards" Nothing I can see in my post is backwards, Maybe you are reading it backwards lol. The correct way of using both the mains and standby switches is..... standby off, turn on mains, wait 30 secs or longer for heaters to warm up fully, turn on standby. Turn standby off during breaks but leave mains on so amp is ready for instant use. P.s. I used to work as a design engineer for a major amplifier manufacturer and spent 50 years in design, developement and repair of electronic equipment right up to mega Watt transmitters, so i think i have more than a slight understanding.
I said backwards because the standby does not limit the inrush current to the plates and power supply capacitors.
With the standby open, the tube rectifier is allowed to warm up and deliver full voltage, then you flip the standby and blast the caps and plates with full voltage.
Leaving the standby switch closed, the tube rectifier gradually increases voltage to the filter caps and plates as it warms up.

Under no circumstances does the standby switch limit the inrush current to the power supply or tubes.

When shutting off, all opening the standby switch does is disconnect the rectifier from the filter caps and plates. The caps are still charged (and will remain so for some time).
It doesn't hurt anything to hit the standby before shutdown, but there's no benefit.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
The standby switch in most amplifiers is after the smoothing and resevouir capacitors so they always get full voltage when the mains is on. With some high power, power supplies, especially with torroidal transformers, a current inrush limiter needs to be incorporated in the line supply circuiit.
I just pulled up 8 or 9 random Fender prints, and the standby switch is after the initial filter stage, but before the filter choke and the next three filters.

Lhdr

Reaction score
Op here. Knowing nothing about electronics, I was sure I would hear some consensus on the darn stand by switch. I mean it’s been on amps for freaking ever. Since it’s labeled “stand by”, common sense (to me) says it’s one of 2 things. Beer breaks to take strain off when not in use, or what I always thought it’s real purpose - to warm the tubes up before being zapped. The manual from the manufacture says warm up. Thus, why not call it a Tube warm up switch! It’s either 1 or 2.

Then again the comments about lack of stand by switches in other tube electronics makes me wonder if there is a third option - some marketing thing from first generation Fenders that serves no use in modern tube amps?

In any case, I need a beer break. My flux capacitor is shifting phases and I need to get it’s alkaline pressure to meet the conversion fusion limit. I could put it on standby, but the depleted beta load is knocking me silly since the diffraction field has meet its limit. Hyper gamma lenses are always a bitch. Their velocity sucks.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Post # 6 includes links to articles on stand by switches, and why they aren't needed (and may possibly be bad for an amp.)
Also, shouldn't ten years here be long enough to learn how comments work at MLP, and other forums? :D
Didn't see any bullying, but smart ass comments are SOP.
The way I get this MLP culture is that if you DON'T get any smart ass
answers you have not been accepted or liked and simply not
worthy of snide remarks or punny shenanigans .

OR

the Accordion
is your main musical instrument.

That and I could be totally wrong so....Never mind.

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't give a fuck!
I stand by the "Stand by" switch.

Not too freakin' difficult to understand.
When you go to play your guitar plugged into an amp,
you stand by the Power switch.
So it's like "punching in" at work.
You walk up to the amp and make it known that you are actually there, standing by the amp.
So you activate the "stand by" switch and the amp "knows" you are there getting ready to play.
Then, when you are "really ready", you go from being a "stand by" to being "on" to the gig.

That is all.
Case closed.
(it's always good to close the case when you are done taking the guitar out of the case.)
Okay, Bobby's reason is the best. We can now all descend into Punnderful Bliss.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I get this MLP culture is that if you DON'T get any smart ass
answers you have not been accepted or liked and simply not
worthy of snide remarks or punny shenanigans .

OR

the Accordion
is your main musical instrument.

That and I could be totally wrong so....Never mind.

Pretty much.......

(Except Steve. Fuck Steve.)

:laugh2:

Latest Threads